Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The logical next step?...

• 15-06-2001 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

You've given us boards... (and there was much rejoicing)
    You've given us community forums... (and we gave thanks)
    You've given us free web page hosting... (and we used it and it was good)

Next step?

Free email hosting smile.gif ... It's been mentioned before, I know...

I reckon the email address bard@boards.ie would be pretty cool...

What are the chances, eh? - or are we just a far too greedy lot round these parts? smile.gif

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I second that!
    puck@boards.ie would rule even though I have about 30 addies already!

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I want Supreme_Ruler_of_Everything@boards.ie

Thanks.

wink.gif

.logic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I'm interested in this buuuuut...

1. How do we achieve this technically and without big loss of cash (I doubt anyone's actually going to *pay* for that mail account)

2. How do we moderate requests? Automatic sign up? Or hand setup? Both have their issues...

We're already wide open to abuse on the boards and the members areas so I'm not too worried about libel but I dont want to be cleaning up muppets all day, nor setting up accounts... hmmm

Still something to be looked into...

DeVore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

http://www.bigmailbox.com/ do a nice FREE service. the interface is customisable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

You could also advertise more with the email service like yahoo do, that might generate some revenue, I know I would love Baz_@boards.ie, because I haven't been able to get Baz_ anywhere else.

I think however automatic signup is far handier than manual sign up, and I think the pros far outweigh the cons for that. Maybe limit it to people with a certain post count, and get an email sent to them when they reach that limit i.e. don't advertise too much to limit the spamming for a mail address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

smak@boards.ie??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

crippled.server.cuz.of.attackments@boards.ie ???

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Would have to be automated... like, not just online sign-up but teid in to your existing username.... And linking it to post count would probably even encourage more muppetry.. I mean there'e folks round these here parts that have 300 posts in their first week ...or something™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Indeed, as a matter of intrest, how many e-mail address do ye have, 100 or more? I think that it needs to be monitored someway, so the muppets dont all sign up in the first day, and also that they don't sign up for about 20 e-mail addresses. Maybe if its only possible to have (username)@boards.ie

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lump:
    Maybe if its only possible to have (username)@boards.ie
    </font>

That would be best, IMHO.

Bard

(- in Limerick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, at least it reduses that amount of accounts that people can sign up for. IE only people registered can sign up.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

from a control point of view
    whatever@member.boards.ie might be better
    lest ppl start with admin@ root@ and other such shoit

hup!

anythin' happenin' with this?

Bard
    Fatter, happier, more productive.

Hmmmmmm... It seems like the next logical step was a newsletter.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

*bump*

So... is it possible, lads? - the email thing I mean...

First newsletter was dead good, btw smile.gif - when's the next instalment?

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

Hope ye don't mind me bumping this old thing up again but I was thinking about it.
    It would be really cool to allow members to have their own email address like username@boards.ie.
    Email addresses and web aliases are already on MangaToAnime.

I would kill for puck@boards.ie or maybe... even... gulp... pay! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

500 users x £10/year pays for the boards server + advertising. People won't givve hotmail £10/year, they might give it to boards. Maybe theres an idea there.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, this is something I'd like to look at again, we tried BigMailBox.com but they FORCE you to sign up to about 20 spam lists. The spam on day one was just unreal.

We're looking at other ways to do this but it would almost certainly require a small payment for bandwidth :(

Its a tough one, as its a new area for us... I would rather get a few things sorted out first (like server performance and shop) before moving onto something else...

Its on the cards though if we can...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I'd be willing to give it a try to code it dev, in fact we could make it a project for the programming board. That way its totally spam free and resellable (at least I won't want to own the rights, just something to look good on the auld CV).

If you think about the time we were going to build our own boards there was a lot of enthusiasm for it, I think this would be no different. It will take time, but it'll be yours.

Just a thought

Baz_

P.S. I was just thinking about this thread the other day, really would love Baz_@boards.ie, sexual email addy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Originally posted by smak
    http://www.bigmailbox.com/ do a nice FREE service. the interface is customisable too.

Seriously...dont use big mail box. They provide a sh!ite level of service imo, not to mention doing things they said they wouldnt (java pop up adverts on the login page etc...)

Attachments dont work on their system half the time in my experience and emails take ages to be processed by their mail servers before you get them. In fact on occasion you would probably be quicker snail mailing the recipient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd be willing to pay for a boards.ie e-mail addy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'm for the idea also.

The problem w/ just automatically issuing a boards e-mail addy in conjunction w/ user names is that it wouldn't be possible because it would most likely be incompatable w/ Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) in that various users names w/ odd symbols etc. wouldn't work:(

But heres a suggestion......

I have my stauntonline.com site set up w/ namezero.com. In the options I can set up as many e-mail adresses as possible and then just forward them onto any a/c. For instance at the mo I have about 30 addresses of family members using @stauntonline.com addys that all forward to other pop3 or web-based a/c's. This means all I do is type in the address they want it forwarded to and thats that:) If ppl only want the @boards.ie addy and not a whole e-mail service then this is the ideal option:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i use easily.co.uk for that exact purpose

when you buy a domain name you get 20 forward email accounts with the domain name.

so say me@company.com = me@isp.com

Advertisement