Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML Layer Positioning (DIV Tag Query)

Options
  • 30-06-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I've a pretty simple layout for a site - I'm changing a site which contains frames to just use layers for the content layout. please see the attached GIF for an idea of how the site and layers look.

the problem i have is that when I view the site in IE its fine, but in Firefox, there is unwanted spacing (around 10pixels) appearing both above and below layer1 (shown in GIF image). I have tried various properties within the DIV tags for the layers - positioning: relative, and I have a "topmargin" attribute of 0 in the BODY tag. I also added
    body { margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; } to the attached CSS stylesheet.

A simplified snippet of the source code is shown below. Does anyone know how to get rid of this unwanted vertical space appearing above and below layers when viewed in Firefox?
    <body bgcolor="theorangecolor" topmargin="0">

<center>

<div id="layer1" style="position:relative; width:530px; height:30px; z-index:1;">
        <!--  BANNER IMAGE HERE  -->
      </div>

<div id="layer2" style="position:relative; width:530px; height:20px; z-index:1;background-color: #993333; layer-background-color: #993333; border: 1px none #000000;">
        <!--  MENU LINKS HERE  -->
      </div>

<div id="layer3" style="position:relative; width:530px; height:300px; z-index:1; background-color: #7b0000; layer-background-color: #7b0000; border: 1px none #000000;">
        <!--  LAYER3 CONTENT HERE  -->
      </div>

<div id="layer4" style="position:relative; width:530px; height:1000px; z-index:1; background-color: #f3f3f3; layer-background-color: #f3f3f3; border: 1px none #000000;">

</center>

</body>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Why are you using 'layers'?

Wouldn't be simplier to not use any relative positioning? because <div> tags will drop to the next line anyway...

For removing the gap in firefox try adding these:

body {
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

You only need the * rule, but the below is a better way of doing what you are trying to do, as the <center> tag is deprecated.
    <html>
    <head>
    <style type="text/css">

* {
    }

body {
      background: #353D54;
      color: #000000;
      text-align:center;
    }

#everything {
      margin: 0 auto;
      background: #FFFFFF;
      width: 530px;
      text-align: left;
    }

#layer1 {
      height:30px; 
    }

#layer2 {
      height:20px;
      background: #993333;
    }

#layer3 {
      height:300px; 
      background: #7b0000; 
    }

#layer4 {
      height:1000px;
      background: #f3f3f3; 
    }

</style>
    </head>

<body>

<div id="everything">
      <div id="layer1">
        <p>banner</p>
      </div>

<div id="layer2">
        <p>menu</p>
      </div>

<div id="layer3">
        <p>layer3</p>
      </div>

<div id="layer4">
        <p>layer4</p>
      </div>
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

many thanks for the tips. I didn't realise that <center> tag was deprecated, gotta get myself a good book on CSS2.

thanks again,
    jAH

Advertisement