Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - Pure Gravy

• 30-06-2005 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭

After going through the pain of getting broadband from IBB, BT & SMART I decided to give NTL a go.
    Oh the joy.
    I rang them last Friday, they said sure when next week do you want us?
    I picked a time, then changed it the next day with no problems.
    I got a phonecall and a reminder txt from them the day before and I am now up and running on their 3MB service.

If you can, go with NTL!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I was a disaster for me to get setup with NTL - though the service now is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

How many customers have NTL Broadband got now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

NTL is probably the best provider in Ireland from what I hear. It's a shame that the rollout is taking so long (although it is a huge job). It's also a little annoying that they don't give any timescales of when areas will be done so no one knows when they will be able to get decent internet connection

If only they would come and do my road ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ok, the gravy may have gotten a little congealed
    according to IrishISPspeedtest I am getting ~ 1MB/100k
    I *should* be on 3MB/300k
    Anyone else in the Knocklyon/Templeogue area got anything I can compare to?

<edit>
    Pings are nice and sexy though
    Pinging jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=52
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=52
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=52

Pings are good to the UK because thats where the NTL infrastructure is.

So a hard reboot of all your equipment and try those speed tests again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

Adey2002 wrote:
    NTL is probably the best provider in Ireland from what I hear. It's a shame that the rollout is taking so long (although it is a huge job). It's also a little annoying that they don't give any timescales of when areas will be done so no one knows when they will be able to get decent internet connection

If only they would come and do my road ....

Maybe, if you dont include Cablesurf Dungarvan, Stated to be 9Mbit down, bt using the irishisptest site i get 9.9Mbit download ever single time with a 580bit upload, for e40 p.m, constant ping of roughly 27ms-32ms to www.boards.ie, contention ratio of 20:1. ohhy ya, also there is no cap which is greaty especially with the amount i download.

You have to get cable TV off them also to be able to get this, but for e30 a month for this, getting over 35 channels, i don't see it as abad thing, especcially since they are switching to digital at the end of the summer, but will still give you the cable TV line for free so that you can have digital in 1 room and cable in the rest and everyone can watvh diff channels. :D:D:D

Now, if you don't think this is the best ISP in Ireland there must be something wrong with you :p:p:p

<Edit>

I guess i should back it up with a screenshot from www.irishisptest.com, so here you's go :D:D

NTLbeater.jpg

Everyone here knows of you lucky bastards in Dungarvin.

How many people are connected to that BB anyway???

Could you get a screen capture of the speed test and host/link at imageshack...as I want to see what we might have in 5 years??

ok screenshot is now up in my last post.

id say theres probably only about 1000, maybe two or three, but most of them don't know how llucky there are and don't use it for much more than browsing the net :p:p

Damn thats a 10Mbit connection with mabye 600k upload!!!!
    The last time I was able to download that fast was when I was in college and used to get ~20Mbits on those computers.

What would your monthly downloads come in at Fionn_McCool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

GreeBo wrote:

<edit>

Are you running W98 SE on a USB modem..........?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Maybe, if you dont include Cablesurf Dungarvan, Stated to be 9Mbit down, bt using the irishisptest site i get 9.9Mbit download ever single time with a 580bit upload, for e40 p.m, constant ping of roughly 27ms-32ms to www.boards.ie, contention ratio of 20:1. ohhy ya, also there is no cap which is greaty especially with the amount i download.

You have to get cable TV off them also to be able to get this, but for e30 a week for this, getting over 35 channels, i don't see it as abad thing, especcially since they are switching to digital at the end of the summer, but will still give you the cable TV line for free so that you can have digital in 1 room and cable in the rest and everyone can watvh diff channels. :D:D:D

Now, if you don't think this is the best ISP in Ireland there must be something wrong with you :p:p:p

<Edit>

I guess i should back it up with a screenshot from www.irishisptest.com, so here you's go :D:D

NTLbeater.jpg

Yep - they are the Gods of Broadband.....no doubt about it! Bit confused about the analogue charge - €30 per week? Am I missing something? :eek:

Are you running W98 SE on a USB modem..........?? :confused:
    nope, xp on ethernet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

GreeBo wrote:

<edit>

Knocklyon on 2Mb/200kb is fine acording to irishisptest.
    pings are similar to yours (see below)
    XP & ethernet here too.
    My modem D/S LED normally flashes pretty constantly even when the PC is off - it's stopped doing it recently - I know when I reboot the modem the LED will start flashing again so I've left it coz it annoys me ;)

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms

causal

Yep - they are the Gods of Broadband.....no doubt about it! Bit confused about the analogue charge - €30 per week? Am I missing something? :eek:

****e sorry, Imeant to say e30 a month, my bad, lol, if it was that much it would not be woth it at all, don't know how i messed that up :o
    juliuspret wrote:
    Damn thats a 10Mbit connection with mabye 600k upload!!!!
    The last time I was able to download that fast was when I was in college and used to get ~20Mbits on those computers.

What would your monthly downloads come in at Fionn_McCool?

fortunately, I have the best of both world juliuspret, cablesurf connection, while at home for the holidays and free college connection in my apartment, from CIT, at over 20Mbit/s and usually over a 1Mbit/s upload

We don't actually have a download/upload counter built in but, i would say my our download each month is at least 50-60Gb

collegespeed.jpg

I was at CIT a couple of years ago.

Used to get about the same download ...but about 20Mbit upload!!!

How the hell are you getting CIT leased line in your apartment???...are you in that new students complex built in the last year....something Hall...at the end of Melbourne Rd, Curaheen Rd I think?

50GB to 60GB is hardly milking a 10Mbit home connection...hahaha...some people here get 120GB a month from a 16GB capped eircom connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I'm off to pack my bags and moving to Dungarvin.lucky bastards

juliuspret wrote:
    I was at CIT a couple of years ago.

Used to get about the same download ...but about 20Mbit upload!!!

How the hell are you getting CIT leased line in your apartment???...are you in that new students complex built in the last year....something Hall...at the end of Melbourne Rd, Curaheen Rd I think?

50GB to 60GB is hardly milking a 10Mbit home connection...hahaha...some people here get 120GB a month from a 16GB capped eircom connection.

Ya, dunno why, but for some reason, the upload speed dropped in the second half of the year, had been between 8-10Mbit upload, but then fell off.

The appartments are called Parchment Square, just beside where Melbourne Rd and Model Farm Rd meet, right next to the council building. I guess they have some sorta deal struck with the college.

120Gb p.m, tbh i couldn't be arsed downloading that much a month, to much hassel in storage, plus, half the stuff they download, they prob just delete after a couple days.
    As the say, "quality over quantity" ;)

As the say, "quality over quantity" ;)
    True, but as someone else once remarked - "Quantity has a quality all of itself" ;)
    - possibly in relation to tanks in WWII - which I'm sure you'll appreciate (going on your sig).

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

[QUOTE=GreeBo
    [/QUOTE]

I get that speed rating in Lucan on the lowest NTL Starter package... @ €25 per month. Assuming that they give out the same cable modem, and set the speed limits on their servers.... maybe they set up your account incorrectly ?

regards,
    Owen

OMcGovern wrote:
    I get that speed rating in Lucan on the lowest NTL Starter package... @ €25 per month. Assuming that they give out the same cable modem, and set the speed limits on their servers.... maybe they set up your account incorrectly ?

regards,
    Owen
    yeah, thats what Im thinking allright...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Well when I wanted to get NTL Broadband and Digital in Lucan they refused phonecalls and they just didnt cooperate. They promised that they would lay the cable line near our house at a certain time and they didnt. In my opinion they are a bunch of wasters.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GreeBo wrote:

You just need to call them, this is set at their servers and they probably just made a mistakeit is easily fixed.

Yah, I'll ring em when Im at home so I can check it
    They are open until 8pm, which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

****e sorry, Imeant to say e30 a month, my bad, lol, if it was that much it would not be woth it at all, don't know how i messed that up :o

fortunately, I have the best of both world juliuspret, cablesurf connection, while at home for the holidays and free college connection in my apartment, from CIT, at over 20Mbit/s and usually over a 1Mbit/s upload

We don't actually have a download/upload counter built in but, i would say my our download each month is at least 50-60Gb

collegespeed.jpg

wow Fionn, you live every broadbandaholic's dream! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

I had the same problem
    Signed up for the 3MBit but was downloading at 110k.
    Rang them and they fixed it.

Jakkass wrote:
    Well when I wanted to get NTL Broadband and Digital in Lucan they refused phonecalls and they just didnt cooperate. They promised that they would lay the cable line near our house at a certain time and they didnt. In my opinion they are a bunch of wasters.

Looks like you're the exception to the rule in this forum.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Looks like you're the exception to the rule in this forum.... ;)

And D15 is a no go area for NTL ! latency latect latecy!! but I believe there is upgrade works going on and D15 will be the envy for all !

in yer dreams misses !! (me to NTL)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Anyone else here with NTL get dropouts? Was happening me all weekend?

The ready LED would start flashing constantly, instead of being on permanently, and then link would drop. Sometimes even the LED would go off altogether. Leave the modem off for a min, with ethernet unplugged, start up and wait for LED to go solid. Then plug ethernet in.

This happened repeatedly for an hour or so and was completely wreckin my head, then it was fine again. Hasnt happened since sun bout 11am now.

This happen often

GreeBo wrote:

Did you check your modem config to see what it's connecting at?
    go to http://192.168.100.1 login with admin/admin or root/root
    click on the 'Operation / Configuration' link on the left
    and see what your upstream and downstream rates are

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Shougeki wrote:
    Anyone else here with NTL get dropouts? Was happening me all weekend?

The ready LED would start flashing constantly, instead of being on permanently, and then link would drop. Sometimes even the LED would go off altogether. Leave the modem off for a min, with ethernet unplugged, start up and wait for LED to go solid. Then plug ethernet in.

This happened repeatedly for an hour or so and was completely wreckin my head, then it was fine again. Hasnt happened since sun bout 11am now.

This happen often

Location m8?

Advertisement