Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand

Options
  • 30-06-2005 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Has anyone here been in Auckland?? What can you tell me about it ... and what do I need to bring with me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yes.

I was there last year. Three weeks and I couldn't wait to get out of it!
    It's just a sprawling metropolis with few redeeming features.
    Do the skytower tour, visit the harbour (and the ice bar), Oh and definitely do the (FREE!) city tour (ask in your hostel/hotel) and have a general look around - a few days there is fine.

I'm presuming you are going to NZ for a long period (year?)
    I was in NZ for about 4 months and travelled around most of the North Island and South Island (Actually went from Cape Reinga (most northernly point) to most southernly point (next stop Antartica!:))

Christchurch is by far the nicest city in NZ.
    I stayed there for quite a while. Drop by O'Sullivan's Pub on Manchester Street - they even have a real live leuprechaun ! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

.......btw, have a look at http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wanderlust

Auckland is pretty much like any other city of its size from what I saw of it, but I wasn't there for long enough to get to know it properly - arrived there at the very end of a long stint of travelling around australia and new zealand so I was undergoing travel fatigue at that stage where it was taking more and more to sate my appetite for novelty and adventure. The dog's bollix pub was worth a look, take a trip out to Waiheke island (I was there in December, not sure what the weather is like this time of the year), go up the skytower - but nothing novel aout that if you have been up skytowers in other cities. I would also recommend that you try to go to the Whangarei and up to the Bay of Islands when in Auckland. But I assume you are asking specifically about Auckland as there is a plethora of advice online about sites and activities in New Zealand.

If you are going to be in New Zealand for an extended period - perhaps working to fund your stay, I recommend that you spend time in other cities such as Christchurch and Dunedin.

Let me know if you want advice on must-see locations in New Zealand in general - sorry I can't be of more help about Auckland specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Living in Wellington at the moment. Most people here see Aukland as Dublin i.e busy, traffic and consider it 'different' to the rest of New Zealand. Have not been in Aukland for any lenght of time but know people from Aukland so if you have specifics let me know and see what can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭bullock

Whats its like for accomadation? Would it be easy to get work there??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caz16

Auckland is full of violence and crime.A far nicer city is Dunedin,although alot colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr. Bill

Is Auckland really that bad. Is it worse than Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

its a very flat and spraling city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

I was there for a week last year. 2 days is all you need to see the sights in Auckland city. I didn't like it (it was a bit rough) but enjoyed the rest of New Zealand. Christchurch is a better city to hang out. What surprised me about New Zealand was the racial tension there between the whites and the locals (the Maori). They are resentful of each other. I was fascinated by the Maori culture and a lot of my trip revolved around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shanem152

Hi guys, Ive been granted a 1 year visa for NZ and am leaving at the end of this month!

we have decided to go to Auckland as this is where the world cup is on, and think we will stay there for a little while!

Unfortuantely I want to go nearly everywhere else more, I want to surf lots, so I would like a coastal place sooner rather then later

What are the shortest contracts you can sign for accomodation?
    Im thinking work in Auckland for 24/5 months and then get out of there i ntime for summer (december?) where hopefully queenstown would be my destination

How difficult is it to get jobs in Queenstown

Any other broad advice for going to NZ? Everything seems pretty dated on the forums!

Cheers all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I think you'd be better off asking in the Aus/NZ forum. There's loads of information there as well so you should have a search through the threads.

Good luck!

Advertisement