Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartment, Concreet floors = dust !!

Options
  • 30-06-2005 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Well not new, i moved 9 months ago, 2 bedroom sand the bathroom still have no floor down, so I plan to empty them on the weekend and get the two bedrooms done at least.

Was gonna go with cheap option , carpet, but advised on laminates.

My question is do i need to seal thefloors first,, liek would the dust that is now been created cause any problems when the laminate or carpet down

I bought polybond but never got to it, so should I do that first ?

I am very cash strapped (like very ) so any opinion on whether go with good quality carpet (cheaper cos room sizes or laminate ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

A coat of poly bond diluted to about 5 : 1 should help keep the dust down, make sure you allow it dry before fitting you floor covering.

A lot depends on the type of carpet, if it's a rubber / pvc back then the fitter will probably stick it down to the floor with a spray adhesive.

An old rule for carpet was always use a good quality underlay, in fact some underlay's cost as much if not more than the carpet.

For bedrooms either product is ok, the laminate can be cold underfoot so most use a rug at the bedside, tbh there is very little traffic in bedrooms the big difference can be laminates are easy to clean and are supposed to be better where allergies are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

If you're concerned about keeping the noise down in your block, put carpets down.
    Having lived in a a ground floor apartment with one with wooden floors above us, I can say that the noise created by folk walking over wooden floors (laminate or otherwise) was one of the many reasons we decided to move. Not that we're hyper-sensitive to noise or anything, but the constant tap-tap-tap of heels can be enough to drive you insane.

Carpet will also muffle the sound of movement in your own apartment.

B.

Advertisement