Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Acting or Camp? Do you have a preferance?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

jonny68 wrote:
    :rolleyes: :D
    u got a point?

As for your compassion. Meh. As Stark said, made me wanna vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Stephanos wrote:
    I also think it is sad that little has been mentioned about the people that are 'straight acting' are those who are in circumstances where they themselves feel they must pretend or act out what they feel is more acceptable. Those of you who have branded that as 'pretence' are out of touch with harsh reality amd should direct your anger where it is more appropriate.

To a camp man who is comfortable with his mannerisms and behaviours I commend you. To the men that demonstrate the meaning of 'straight acting' in terms of pretence and tailored behaviour, I am proud to say that I show you compassion!

Think you missed the point kinda...entirely.
    I have said many times that I for one make no association between not being "out" and dishinesty and lying, or pretence etc. Sexuality is a private thing and individual for each person to act as the want/find works for them.

And this could carry on into how they term themselves as gay; my problem is with the term straight acting, leaving aside the connoction of pretence i see in it, it always comes back to what then is "gay acting".
    THe only logical answers re inforce stereotypes, and untruths.

I really don't know how its difficult just to say "i'm not camp" if u want to distinguish that, or " masculine" if afraid to bee seen as "feminine".

I still thing the conversation is just circling itself, the reality seems some people see the term useful some see it as at least unhelpful. My only additional thought is with so much misunderstanding and ignorance would we not try to be more "accurate" in te words we use;words have power .

Maybe is just my Wiccan belief in the strength of words going ino overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Hee! If any mods are reading, that should definitely be one of the normal icons.

Damien - reading back, I'm honestly not sure which he meant, could be just mangled English but it came across to me like the latter. Maybe he'd care to clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

damien.m wrote:
    I despise the term straight acting. It's like the people who are masculine and don't adhere to some camp over-the-top stereotype are going against their gay nature or something and not being themselves.

Ditto.

- EDIT -

Having read the rest of the thread (well, skimmed it), I should probably expand on that.

I dislike the term because it implies that someone is pretending to be something that they're not. Whether that be pretending to the outside world, or trying to pretend to themselves. I think that both situations are bad, and it signifies that someone isn't comfortable with who they are. It profoundly irritates me seeing gaydar profiles where people describe themselves as str8-acting. I get this image of someone trying to assure themselves that even though they're gay they're just as much a man as any straight guy. Point taken. But you shouldn't have to qualify that IMO.

Regarding how it's used to describe mannarisms in gay men, I'd much rather use something like 'butch' (though that has lesbian overtones)(*grin* sorry girls).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

Maybe compassion was not as appropriate as understanding. As has been said, sexuality is a personal issue and opinions expressed on a forum like this are irrelevant. One thing that is of interest is that the opinions expressed are generally against gays who are straight acting but the poll suggests this is not the case.

My use of the term 'straight acting' was questioned but I was not generalising since I have acknowledged that the term can carry multiple meanings. I question the purpose of such a discussion because see that little clarity has been brought to the term str8 acting. We can dissect and knit pick at each other's postings until the proverbial cows come home but it appears to get us nowhere. A broad interpretation clearly exists for different reasons.

As I skimmed through the replies to my first posting there was an accusation re. my commending a camp gay man for being true to himself. This was the case but merely that he is comfortable with himself. I most certainly know that there are guys who do not have a trace of camp in them. The camp man can be as true to himself as the 'straight acting man' (I am slowly learning to hate this term).

My last posting appears to have made people want to vomit. I agree - verbal diarrhoea from both ends. With objectivity in mind, I wonder if someone would undertake the task of trawling through the posts and listing the many meanings that 'straight acting' has come to mean. It would at least bring purpose to an endless debate. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Stephanos wrote:
    I wonder if someone would undertake the task of trawling through the posts and listing the many meanings that 'straight acting' has come to mean.

I nominate you! Who'll second?

:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

second! :D

Carried!

• Advertisement

After my first posting I have been reduced to a small furry creature huddling in the corner of the room. . . .

I just thought that since the term has been debated on so heavily, it might be of benefit to refresh on the many meanings it would appear to have. It has to be noted that the term 'acting' is vague in itself. Anyways, here it goes.

'Straight acting' may mean or be applied to . . .

Individuals who are masculine and do not conform to a gay stereotype.

A gay individual who 'acts' out straight behaviours.

A person who is 'non camp' or does not act overtly gay.

A person who pretends to be straight.

A person who shares traits with the hetero community and/or does not share traits with the homosexual community.

A term used by bitter gay people to belittle or discriminate against others they feel insecure about.

Someone in denial of their homosexuality.

Anyway I read all the postings but its E & OE and feel free to add on. I think it’s a happy medium to just accept it as a vague term with many issues attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Stephanos wrote:

A person who is 'non camp' or does not act overtly gay.

Anyway I read all the postings but its E & OE and feel free to add on. I think it’s a happy medium to just accept it as a vague term with many issues attached to it.

nice try but you just did it again ;why'd ya give them one line when everything else got its own line? you have "implied" non camp and not acting overtly gay are the same/similar. THats one of the things some of use disagre with.

ah well
    btw I like small furry creatures (albeit non in a richard gere myth way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I often wondered am I "straight acting". I'm more of a nerd or a geek even then I am gay or straight acting. How does tha fit in? I dislike sports such as football and gaa, I like scissor sisters, and I've been giving hightlights a thought, I preferre my g++ compiler to my gaa jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Nerds, are, obviously, not like normal people.

Incidentally, you get a lot more "straight camp" people among nerds than elsewhere. I think it's related to nerds already being somewhat outcasts from society, and fairly internally non-judgemental; therefore free to act more or less at they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gaymale.ie

Hi guys, personally I don't see the problem with being straight acting, sure a lot of it is put on, but a lot of it is not, some gay guys just like things that do not fit the 'acceptable' gay stereotype, also why is it that straight guys are celebrated for acting gay or metrosexsual as they call themselves, while theirs a massive freak out if a gay guy acts straight. Also don't underestimate how much acting straight guys do themselves, I know loads of straight guys, who, for example are not really into football but still ware the jerseys etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Swimmy

Do I have a preference?

I think i am going to dodge the answer by saying this, for me I am happy with people who are comfortable in their own skin and who are not trying to be something they are not!

What does straight acting mean? It implies that someone being themselves is an act which is complete rubbish! Yes some gay people are effeminate and come across as camp, for some people being camp supports thier bitchy persona which is a complete act to be honest!

I just like people who are happy and relaxed and are confident with who they are and are not trying to be the gay stereotype or the macho Mary! Ordinary will do just fine! ;)

Advertisement