Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They can't pronounce her name!

Options
  • 30-06-2005 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Well, what jew think of their attempts at pronouncing Orlaith !!
    Derek lastnight ... 'OLA is very beautiful ... ' , how difficult is it to say ORLA (sp aside) ...
    Is it something to do with the English dropping their 'R's all ova the shop ! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Yeah there all thick like that. English ppl cant even attempt to pronounce Siobhan, Sinead, Saoirse<sp? Grainne Nioamh and the BBC STILL say
    ".....the lead singer of U2 Bone-O..."
    LOL

**+I cant spell neither :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

i think the crazy spelling is putting them off

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

English ppl cant even attempt to pronounce Siobhan, Sinead, Saoirse<sp? Grainne Nioamh

Its a different language. Some african names arnt that easy to pronaounce by non native speakers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

There is a girl called Saoirse in my Spanish class at college (Birmingham). Her name ends up sounding like "Susha" when the English people try pronounce it. It's not that difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

Its really annnoying. orla, it's such an easy name to say. my names lorcan, and still people in england can't say it and its worse when they're trying to read it out. i fee
    l for her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

shuushh wrote:
    i think the crazy spelling is putting them off

Would they ever have actually seen it written down though?

And really, Or-la... it's not hard!

While I was living in England, they constantly pronounced my name (Ciarán) as See-are-on. Seriously, we'd have to try our hardest to pronounce it like that.

So in the end I just spelt my name Kieron while I was there, although there was still some mis-pronounciations. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

although in their defence, they might not fully understand her (orlaith's) accent and picked it up wrong first day...its gone so far now that she doesnt correct them i suppose!! But, having a slightly different name myself, i know its REALLY annoying when people get your name wrong so I would correct them...or say their names wrong lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

While I was living in England, they constantly pronounced my name (Ciarán) as See-are-on. Seriously, we'd have to try our hardest to pronounce it like that.

So in the end I just spelt my name Kieron while I was there, although there was still some mis-pronounciations. :(

Yeah the English certainly seem to have a problem with that name. I guess that's why so many people are calling themselves Science these days.

Orlaith is probably just being polite by not checking them but one way around it would be for her to start copying Makosi and talking in the 3rd person eg 'Orla was second 2nd in Miss Northern Ireland 20 years ago and Orla has a date with a toilet bowl now'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nah i'd say its coz underneath, they're all jealous of her as she seems better in every way and is very popular among everyone in the house. so they try to make themselves feel better by sayin her name wrong. simple.

EDIT: just heard "Thunderclap Newman - Something In the Air" and its the talktalk song when they're doin all them shapes n stuff at the ad-breaks.

Advertisement