Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pools CL seeding challenged - Had to happen

• 30-06-2005 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

http://itv-football.co.uk/News/Champions_League_News/story_155905.shtml
    Liverpool still face Champions League headaches as Slavia Prague have lodged an official complaint to UEFA over their prospective seeding demotion to accommodate the Reds.

Slavia, who finished runner up in last season's Czech First Division, will lose their place as one of the seeded teams should Liverpool make it through to the third and final qualifying round.

That would result in the Czech side facing a much tougher task in qualifying for the lucrative group stage, and potentially losing out on a significant amount of revenue if they fail to do so.

Czech FA secretary-general Petr Fousek last week warned UEFA of a planned protest, and now both the club and organisation have delivered as they are determined not to lose out.

The problem has arisen after UEFA recently granted Liverpool special dispensation to defend the European Cup they won in such dramatic fashion against AC Milan last month.

A section of the protest sent to UEFA reads: "Conforming to all the principles of honest sport competition, honoured by UEFA, we think it is fair for Slavia Prague to remain at the head of the group at the third preliminary round of the Champions League."

Fousek is hoping UEFA will resolve the matter as he said: "We respect UEFA's decision and understand some arguments.

"But on the other hand we don't want to see Slavia Prague deprived of its position."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Fair play to them. UEFA initially said it wouldn't hurt anyone, which was clearly bull, but fair fecks to Slavia Prague - I hope their cries don't fall on deaf (or just thick) ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

4 words on the subject.....chance - hell - snowballs - in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's unfair on Slavia, very much so in fact, and I'd imagine they'd have a strong enough case if they wanted to bring this to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

While I agree with what Prague are complaining about, they should have done it before the QR1 and QR2 draws were made. Its equally unfair to Rabotnicki Skopje and Hajduk Split but the draws have been made now so they have to get on with it. There's nothing they can do for Prague now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eirebhoy wrote:
    While I agree with what Prague are complaining about, they should have done it before the QR1 and QR2 draws were made. Its equally unfair to Rabotnicki Skopje and Hajduk Split but the draws have been made now so they have to get on with it. There's nothing they can do for Prague now.

Was it not known before hand that these particular teams would lose their seedings?

This is exactly what I was saying all along in the other thread about Liverpool being aloud in. I said it was totally unfair as it would affect too many teams. Liverpool fans(nearly all of them) denied this. Its now blatantly obvious I was right. It is totally unfair and the teams losing their seedings and I fully back them up for complaining. They should take it to court if possible because I think they will win. They are set to lose millions over it which is just ridiculous. Everybody knew that this would affect other teams except Uefa and Liverpool fans although they knew it also.

Anyway I think eirebhoy might be right that they have left it a bit late but its still worth lodging an official complaint if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

too right Kingpin - any notice the complete lack of activity fans on this thread - I wonder why!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well this is a surprise no seriously it is.. what will happen? Guess what nothing!

Boo hoo.
    Why should liverpool fans care about it I sure as hell dont go bitch at uefa :) It is UEFA's mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Kingp35 wrote:
    This is exactly what I was saying all along in the other thread about Liverpool being aloud in. I said it was totally unfair as it would affect too many teams. Liverpool fans(nearly all of them) denied this. Its now blatantly obvious I was right. It is totally unfair and the teams losing their seedings and I fully back them up for complaining. They should take it to court if possible because I think they will win. They are set to lose millions over it which is just ridiculous. Everybody knew that this would affect other teams except Uefa and Liverpool fans although they knew it also.
    No UEFAs decision to put Liverpool in the first round has resulted in this. They had to be seeded in this round as they are the first seeds for the competition.

Its not "blatantly obvious" that you were right. Liverpools inclusion didnt have to affect other teams. If UEFA had put them in the groups (seeing as they are the first seeds for the competition) this would not have happened. No one would have lost anything they were entitled to. This is UEFAs fault, not Liverpools or their fans.

Slavia (and the other teams) have a right be be dissatisfied. The right thing should have been done first by the English FA, and Liverpool been put in at the expense of Everton, and then failing that by UEFA, and putting Liverpool in the groups automatically.

TheMonster wrote:
    too right Kingpin - any notice the complete lack of activity fans on this thread - I wonder why!!
    Because its just you **** stirring again.

And any attempt to prove anything to you will just result in you not reading it or ignoring it because you already have your bitter mind made up about this issue because Liverpool are involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

should Liverpool make it through to the third and final qualifying round

Even if they dont, the team that beat them would get their co-efficient and would be seeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Liverpools inclusion didnt have to affect other teams. {snip} The right thing should have been done first by the English FA, and Liverpool been put in at the expense of Everton....

But would than not have effected another team - Everton. I think your other idea of putting Liverpool in the groups would have been better.

SteM wrote:
    But would than not have effected another team - Everton. I think your other idea of putting Liverpool in the groups would have been better.
    True, but in previous years the FA would have done this. And Ill bet in future years that this will officially change (from UEFAs point of view as well as the FAs) that the winners will be put in at the expense of a fourth place team in a league with four representatives. I fail to see why this year (and this year alone) should have been any different.

The groups was the best decision and the most convenient, and the one I always said even when they were put in the qualifying rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Advertisement