Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick 3DMark05 question....

Options
  • 30-06-2005 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Ok, just been showing a friend 3dmark05 on my PC to compare it with his & noticed my CPU score has dropped dramatically! Was 4183 in May, now 3329!?
    Whats going on? Same version software, only diff is change from catalyst 5's to cat 5.6... But could that be the issue!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Crap running in the background maybe ?

The hardcore benchmark people always do a reformat and disable all services and all of that before doing a 3dmark run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

I second that, ctrl+alt+delete, and stop any unwanted processes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Have shut down all processes so that it matches the setup on the previous 4183 cpu score but cpu score is still really low!! Overall 3dmark hit 6083 though :D

Running in X64 show a higher CPU score than normal XP but still nowhere near the old score.... have nothing to do the weekend so look into it more then!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

I was getting around 6100 on stock settings. But i find if you close all unnecessary progs like the guys said by going to task manager, and also set windows to performance mode(Control Panel-System-Advanced set to performance) I can squeeze a few hundred more. Im not too keen on the 5.6's either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

I was getting around 6100 on stock settings. But i find if you close all unnecessary progs like the guys said by going to task manager, and also set windows to performance mode(Control Panel-System-Advanced set to performance) I can squeeze a few hundred more. Im not too keen on the 5.6's either! :)

6100 overall? or 6100 CPU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The hardcore benchmark people always do a reformat and disable all services and all of that before doing a 3dmark run.

Yeah, because that's representative of a typical gamer's setup.

And disabling all services will leave you with an unusable windows environment.

6100 overall score in 3dmark 05. About 6500 with overclocking and tweaking. There is nothing unstable about it if you disable the right programs obviously not the critical windows ones! Well if you want to outperform your mates thats what you do for 3dmark only, thats what i meant. :)

Anyway getting back to your point. If your 3dmark has decreased, its a good chance its one of your drivers, either g-card or motherboard. It could be bottlenecked somewhere or have a virus! Other than that i dont know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

so syxpak, are you saying that 3dmark05 is in anyway actually related to what people would be doing on their computers? ;)

If your games run fine, then forget about 3dmark, its a nice prog to get a ballpark of how a device compares, but totally unrepresentative of an actual gaming environment, and as syxpak says, the conditions the records are usually set in, are completely different to that of a real system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Well i didnt mean disabling *all* services sorry, not clear enough. Disabling everything but what you need to do a run of 3dmark. You think that people who keep their PCs laid out on benches with triple cascades the size of a small fridge hooked up to their processors AND each of their graphics cards are representative either ? ;)

Never understood the benchmark thing really... Other than to see if ur pc is doing roughly what it should be doing theyre pretty redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You should really be worrying about what your average timedemo FPS in 'Game X' is and if it's consistently smooth enough to enjoy playing it.

3DMark has been irrelevent for quite some time.

Advertisement