Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

.htm file that just wont delete

• 30-06-2005 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

tried several things,
    deleting the file, the folder its in,
    renaming the file,
    cutting the file,
    deletion from dos, (and the folder that its in from dos)

still wont go away.

the .htm file is just a saved webpage that i downloaded during the year for a project.
    the file name is really long, almost three lines in dos if that gives you any indication.
    the reason its so long is because it saved the page header as the filename.

i think this is causing the trouble.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's not the long filename that's causing the problem, it's odd characters in it. Try some of the suggestions from this google search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=delete+long+filename

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Tried booting up in safe mode and deleting it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it has a .con. in it's name it can be very tricky to delete in NT-XP but easy in dos / win 9x ( .con is the console so funny redirect stuff )

try renaming it first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Put "quotes around it and delete" :p using DOS, also try using use the escape to take out the effect of any special characters
    For example

E@ ~E becomes "E\@ \~E"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i had a bios update file like that

ended up using task manager ending explorer.exe the entire tree and then running cmd and deleting it that way couldnt load safe mode either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

Is the file read only???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have a look for a program called WhoLockMe. This can tell you if an application is locking the file and preventing you from renaming/deleting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

got rid of the one i set out to originally, but then i found more!
    same story again, they're web pages that were saved and have their title used as their file name, which made them really long.
    I'm sure this is the problem.
    when i clicked on the files folder for the downloaded webpage it said i couldnt as the folder name was too long.
    right clicking does nothing.

to delete the file i asked about, it tried it in dos and it didnt work so i went to safe mode and it worked.

when i came across these other files, i tried the same thing again and no joy....

they're just htm files and the file folders for the pages (images stylesheets etc.) they're not being used by any programs.

any other suggestions? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well, you could delete all of them in safemode, but I guess you'd like to know why this is happening?

All I can think of is the way Windows links HTML files with the *_files folder which will have all the objects that were on the webpage when you saved it. You can use TweakUI (one of the powertoys for Windows XP available on microsoft.com) to unlink the file and folder. See a screenshot of where to do this:
    tweakui8hc.jpg
    This lets you manipulate either the HTML file or the *_files folder independantly of each other, or delete either one. This _might_ work, but I'd doubt it. It's the only thing I can think of though, short of safemode.

Advertisement