Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases in my head that won't leave:

Options
  • 04-07-2001 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for all three Kali, and karma and mods are "vaguely admin related" like I said.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I believe the last one was Quadrophenia.
    Great flick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well done Enygma, you win. Lock at will Q man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Christ, karma points as prizes. What are the boards coming to. Shame on you young man smile.gif

The boards first Karma Whore smile.gif
    And proud of it tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I gave amp 8 lolipops and look what he gave me smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I'm no fan of the karma system, it's far too open to misuse and this is a good example of how it can be misused. (IMHO) :/

Anyhow, I'll probably warm to it if I ever earn a point. smile.gif

Crash&Burn: No offence mate, but what exactly have you done to earn such an outrageous level of karma so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Gave amp lolipops tongue.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was wondering that myself, so I reviewed his karma history. Now while there are a few genuine karma points in there, theres a fair number of posts that say something like this (from Stephen)

(1:30) :: Crash0r: give me one
    (1:30) :: Crash0r: smile.gif
    (1:30) :: Crash0r: gwan

Bold Crash. Negative Karma for you....

DeV.

Promoting the desire to have karma can only be of benefit to the system.

hmmm... I'm turning into Ghandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yes maybe it can be misused, but that's why we have Admins. It's better than posting sh*te to up the post count.

Question: If you crash out of boards with negative karma, what does you browser get reborn as?

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

This Karma system seems to me to be completely flawed.
    The Moderators are the only ones with Karma granting privs. And as far as I can make out they have unlimited points to award.
    A much better system would be to have something like the Slashdot karma model.
    Pick (at random) 5% of boards users (irregardless of level/status but with regard to karma level) and give them five points that they can award to people or take from people as they see fit. (Taking a point from someone sends it to /dev/null) After three days these points are taken off them and another 5% of the boards.ie population is chosen. People with karma-granting priveleges should remain anonymous too.

When someone's awarded a point it should show up on the post that they were awarded so many points for that post (and a reason too?). Likewise when someone has a point taken off them. This way people can report karma abuse if they see a post that really wasn't worth so many points or didn't deserve to have points deducted. The admins should then be able to find who awarded/deducted the points and get onto them or maybe ban them from the karma list so they're never chosen for karma duties again.

If this was the situation then karma points would actually count for something.

I've yet to find a comedic use for the vaguely admin related following:

Karma Police arrest this man.
    Instant Karma's going to get him if I don't get him first.
    WE ARE THE MODS, WE ARE THE MODS. WE ARE, WE ARE, WE ARE THE MODS!!!

Karma point for the person that can name where they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

radiohead and john lennon.

also whys this on the admin board?

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 04-07-2001).]

hmmm it's things like this that made me stop whinging about Admins. I can see Cloud finding this little karma hack and seeing it to be a good idea (which it will be, when we iron out the bugs) and now there's at least three heated threads devoted to it.

The boards have come a loooooonnnng way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

personally i think larma is a waste of time
    anyway, it doesnt take long to figure out who is a w@nker and who isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    anyway, it doesnt take long to figure out who is a w@nker and who isnt...
    </font>

Exactly. If you read Boards a good bit then you already have a good idea who's a muppet and who's not, as long as they regularly post to sections you read yourself.

Gaining karma requires a mod to read your post and be in a good mood. Loosing karma can just require a mod to have a few drinks on him.

Certain mods will dole out karma points, others won't use them at all. Posters on the XYZ board might end up with karma ratings up in the stratosphere and down in the bowels of hell while posters on the ABC board never budge from zero.

I'm sorry, but it's a nice idea which doesn't seem to work in practice.

Edit:

A mod with "a few drunks on him" would probably be cranky too, but that isn't what I meant smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 05-07-2001).]

Advertisement