Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB... Pull your heads outta your ****!

• 30-06-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Just got off the phone from a IBB guy, What a great help he was! He can only help if my connection drops below.... wait for it.... 50k!
    The "simple reason" my connection is so slow is because of the connection ratios. If everyones connected at the same time its gonna cause some problems..... HELLO IT A ALWAYS ON CONNECTION!!!!!!!!!
    I know just cos its always on dont mean its being used but with the amount of muppets sold computers these days i'd say half on them have tonnes of SpyWare on them and being used as mailbommers, FTP servers and what not. I mean its a 2MB connection and im getting just under 250k connection speeds!!!
    I held on the phone for 35min to have a 2min call and prob a crap ping test. I here-by give them a week to do something then i reckon we should all e-mail ComReg and send IBB a CC. Ratios dont explaine why my connection hops about 6 masts before even reaching the DNS. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Just got off the phone from a IBB guy, What a great help he was! He can only help if my connection drops below.... wait for it.... 50k!
    The "simple reason" my connection is so slow is because of the connection ratios. If everyones connected at the same time its gonna cause some problems..... HELLO IT A ALWAYS ON CONNECTION!!!!!!!!!
    I know just cos its always on dont mean its being used but with the amount of muppets sold computers these days i'd say half on them have tonnes of SpyWare on them and being used as mailbommers, FTP servers and what not. I mean its a 2MB connection and im getting just under 250k connection speeds!!!
    I held on the phone for 35min to have a 2min call and prob a crap ping test. I here-by give them a week to do something then i reckon we should all e-mail ComReg and send IBB a CC. Ratios dont explaine why my connection hops about 6 masts before even reaching the DNS. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

you were too easy on the phone be direct and say whats up this sucks sort it if hes not heplful get onto the supervisor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well im getting the same crap from them atm. Im 7 weeks with a usless BB connection cant game on it for love nor money. They tried to move me to another hisite and cant. If you are only starting to have problems now god help ya they usaually wait till yer 2 months with problems till they try stuff. Well thats my expierence. I gave them a week then I stop my direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Rang them today-was waiting an hour to get thru to someone

They then confirmed I had been downgraded from 2meg to 1meg service for absolutely no reason whatsoever but they could not restore it until netops return tomorrow...

I bet it takes another call to get anything moving 2moro.

Crazyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i rang them today at 11 am and was a long time on hold. Normally at that hour I was getting straight through before. There must be a lot of people ringing them these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I'm in the same boat. knocking on 2 months now. Sent an official complaint last Friday which according to their web site they will acknowledge within 2 days (wihch they haven't). Also according to their website they should have it fixed within 5 days. According to comreg, before they will accept a complaint you have to go through the isp complaints procedure. I have now done that so Saturday evening at 8pm, I will be sending an official complaint to comreg. I will also be calling them on Monday morning to ensure they have received it. I will be cmplaining about a) the extremely poor quality of service b) the extremely poor support and c) the fact they are still charging me 48.40 for a 1Mb connection and have been since I upgraded from my 512 8/1 even though a 2Mb connection costs the same.

Shower of total cowboys. I am going to continue to post on boards.ie regularly and tell my story to would be IBB customers until they have sorted this crap they call broadband out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

We should follow the same precedure as Adey2002. I am also going to go through the ISP complaints procedure and after a week with no news (because we all know they never reply...) it's off to ComReg. If we all do it, surely they'll have to do SOMETHING about IBB stealing from people like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

I phoned my official complaint in last Friday (although I had originally emailed our complaint to the sales guy on the 8th June).
    On Monday I had to ring again and they admitted there was a fault and would send out engineer on Wednesday or Thursday. Needless to say no-one has called and I will be reporting them officially to Comreg, Consumer affairs and
    Advertising Standards Authority if someone hasn't called by tomorrow.

For what it's worth their box on our tv mast hasn't shifted since they installed it in April. First guy in Customer services tried to palm me off with some bulls**t about faulty router. Next guy then more or less admitted that was bulls**t and blamed the receiver for having moved?!?! What next, the weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Get on the phone & ask to speak to Kevin Keating... Give him enough abuse & he might do something.. They are all cowboys BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Letter response from Comreg

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your query.

We are unable to contact Irish Broadband on your behalf until after you
    have exhausted their complaint handling procedures as per their code of
    practice. If you are unhappy with any initial response you should be
    able to have your complaint escalated in accordance with this process.
    You should be able to do this by calling their customer care line and
    stating that you are logging a formal complaint.

If you are advised by Irish Broadband that they are meeting their
    obligations as per the terms and conditions of the contract you entered
    into, then we will not be in a position to pursue the matter as we have
    no remit over contractual matters. However, if after exhausting their
    procedures, you fail to get any response or they are not meeting
    contractual obligations, then please advise me and I will then contact
    them on your behalf.

Best Regards,

Jacqueline Moore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Ok gave the T&C a quick read over, dosnt appear to be any real information saying they dont guarantee speeds or what not so onto comreg it is! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

unless their TOC state that speeds are not guaranteed as advertised, or state they may fluctuate, or state they may be anything in a particular range, then it is reasonable to assume that a 2MBit product is, and will be, as long as advertised, a 2MBit product. Anything unreasonably different i would regard as 'not being the product advertised' 'and not the product stated in accordance with the TOC'

go through the TOC with a really fine comb lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

WOW I'm sure glad I read this thread. I and at least 1 other was about to sign up to IBB - Thank GOD we didn't now. Watching this thread very carefully! Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

DOes it say anything about being a contented service cause they LOVE that word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, the service being provided is NOT whats being advertised. He can't reach 2meg speeds, he cant even reach 1 meg speeds. Technically, there'd be nothing stopping IBB advertising a 100meg server, on 500:1 contention. They'd still only have to supply everyone with a mere 0.2 of a meg. They should be well capable of that.

Of course, i'd have to shout false advertising to that as noone can possibly reach a 100meg speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Thing is, while contention explains why speeds are so slow it doesn't really excuse them. I've seen contention on NTL and Eircom DSL before and it doesn't cripple usage to nearly the same degree because the networks are more balanced.

Also, I regularly got speeds below what is acceptable on a 24:1 contension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

to back up any contention first, even if 2MBIT was shared between all 24 customers, thats still nearly 100K of guaranteed speed 24/7, which they cant seem to manage.

Also 'based on experience' a 24:1 contention on a line doesnt seem to affect its performance to the degree that it has with IBB, so i think you could rightfully claim that the product is not as advertised, within reasonable limits of performance, in comparison to the competition, and also that it is just plain sub-standard, and that they are not taking reasonable actions to ensure network quality&reliability on the network elements under their control.

This performance degredation is an unreasonable deterioration in the service since it has gone for good to terrible since upgrades, in general, and is clearly a case of limited capacity, again, within control of IBB networks.

I really would love an ISP to give some sort of SLA lol, currently ive seen only leap do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Rumour has it the masts are maxed out again !!! so crappy pings for a bout a week or so until they sort it out !! if we are lucky

4 m8's have it and we all have CRAP pings for about 4 nights now !

I think keeping in touch with others on IBB masts in your area really save so much time! you dont have to keep calling IBB and getting fobbed off !!

State you mast here and problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I don't think IBB are ever going to be a serious contender in the BB market..Thier share is always going to consist of those who dont want a landline, can't get one because of renting or whatever , or a temp solution to those waiting on a line or Smart etc...Thier service / customer service is not consistint & probobly never will be, so it is going to be very hard for them to keep customers...If thier service is struggling to be consistint in providing a 2mbit service, what are they going to be like when speed becomes the main competition factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

My Little Test to Prob how bag IBB actually age.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274526

Looks like it's a phone call to comreg on Monday. I've gone through IBB's complaints procedure and been totally ignored. So next step is a call to comreg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Comreg will do their best to totally ignore you too I'm sorry to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Comregs Motto must be:
    "See No Evil Hear No Evil Speak No Evil"

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Mmm, I've withdrawn my contract with IBB now, long before they have a chance to come near my house to install.
    As I mentioned in another post, they are severly overloading their capacity, unless they do a series of MAJOR upgrades, the service will only deteriorate for residential customers.

Roll on the EsatBT order.

*nods to dub45 for sound advice* ;)

This is now beyond a joke. I'm not even getting dial up speeds from this pile of utter ****e. How they get away with calling it broadband is totally beyond me. I'm glad we've managed to save another person from making a huge mistake. Maybe if we lose them enough customers they will actually get off their fat arses and actually do somthing about the problem.

So there you go IBB, that's €48.00/month you have just lost yourselves. I think we've managed to save 3 people so far so a total of €144/month and counting ....

What mast your off m8 ?

Siac

Are you DL 24 / 7 ? or just a bit? they may be QOSing you !!

I don't download at all. Nothing nada, zip. Just browse, email, game and VoIP. I'd say I probably don't even get to 2Gb/month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

thought they decided against qos???

my 2meg finally came back yesterday after calling them about 5 times last week and being on hold for at least 90minutes...still, better late than never and speeds seem good...

• Advertisement
Advertisement