Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boards?

• 30-06-2001 5:14pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone think of new boards for the main site... there must be general interest areas we havent covered...

I'm seriously thinking about breaking Humanities into Politics and <something else> but I cant think of the <something else>

Or should we just split off a Politics board and leave humanities as is?

Anyway, brand new boards would be good too..

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Re: breaking up Humanities... that's a tricky one... politics is the obvious first offshoot, - I'd say leave the remaining board as "Humanities"... sure what are the other choices? Culture? Lifestyle? People?

As regards new boards, I think all the bases are pretty much covered with what's there, unless you want to venture into creating boards about "Food & Drink" or "Travel & Holidays"...

That's all that comes to mind right now...

[Edit]: Oh... and as suggested already, you should just dump Trolls!... chop it, unceremoniously, from the site. It's a waste of space.

Bard
    Vidi, Vici, Veni.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 30-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

History?-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I was actually going to suggest a new board. Science could be a good one, or am I just a geek. If so I'm not the only one. However, I do read New Scientist, Richard Dawkins and other popular science stuff. It could cover things like ethics in genetics, space exploration and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mmmm Science, yes please.

Also the boards are missing out on a whole demographic. The most popular programs on tv are (apart from soaps) are Gardening, DIY/Home decorating, Cookery and Pets programs.

Apart from DIY they all suck big a-grade quality áss but they're popular.

amp - who's been drinking a lot of Pepsi Max lately.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Kill the trolls board,
    Without the notority there will be less spamming.
    If a serious topic gets derailed an in-thread warning to the perpetrator should be enough to get the thread rolling in the right direction again.
    If the thread is just plain muppetry just delete it,will anyone really miss it?

Humanities some ideas.

Religion and politics
    Culture and the law
    media studies/behavioural psychology`
    relationships,family and friends
    trolls <j/k>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

a sex board smile.gif that would be great smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would be a mod smile.gif we could have a ask Dr.Crash topic to start smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

A pretensious Prevarication board with me as the Malevolent Moderator biggrin.gif

Maybe an Art Board? , I know we have a Art/Animation Board but thats hardly for "Art" .maybe a few Films/Video offshoots and break up humanities...leave a nice hardcore political board smile.gif

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Science board created,

Bel, why is ART not appropriate for the Art/Anim board????

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

I never said it wasnt appropriate , I just said it wasnt in use for that function , Its more used for 3d Rendering and Webpage design ...actual Exhibition Art doesnt get a look in a pity as a few Humanities threads showed thered be a niche for it , Actually instead of making an Another Art board whichd get confussing maybe you could just make Independent 3d Rendering board? ok it wouldnt be a big hitter , but itd proabably do aswell as Science if not better

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

[This message has been edited by Belisarius (edited 30-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How about a cooking board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

DeV, a cooking board wouldn't be half-bad smile.gif

Nil Desperandum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:

Amp/Hobbes, I dunno how DIY/Cooking boards would go down with the locals!
    </font>

Yes but:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    ...If we build it they *might* come.
    </font>

Besides, are the boards only for a certain age group?

STOP OPPRESSING OLD PEOPLE!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the 80's board - discuss everthing 80's. (life, music, tv etc..)

alternative board - board about anything out of the 'norm'

and make me mod please smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Yep cooking would be good as I love cooking and I am always looking for new ideas mainly Thai or indian. Its always nioce to try new meals.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Well maybe Food / Drink would be a better name for it. So sure we'll give it a go and if it doesn't take off the posts can always be moved back to AH.

I think Bard's other suggestion Travel / Holidays might be a goer later on too.

J.
    --

My next question is should "Science" go under "Technology"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

O O O O new board hmmmmm

why dont u take a random number of the most common users and check their stats to get the majority of board users age group so u know wha will be used and not when it applie to age group etc (not tryin to discriminate or anything)

U can split games up into the sep consoles or companies (make shinji in charge of nintendo seeing he'll be the only 1 in there) No point dividing half life anymore its board is generally the tfc board.

so out of games u can create:

1. nintendo
    2. Sony
    3. Microsoft (oh will tha get flamed)
    4. games (as in general 3rd part
    5. Sega (arcades etc)

theres 5 boards which will prob be used esp nintendo with the gb advance

and the continous xbos flaming.

u can split after hours into

After hours when sober
    after hours when "other"

done now

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

[This message has been edited by BlitzKrieg (edited 01-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
    My next question is should "Science" go under "Technology"?</font>

Yes, I think it should... I actually made that suggestion on a thread on Science smile.gif - rename Technology as Sci/Tech and stick it in there.

Oh- and I think the "Travel & Hols." board could be relevant now, considering it's the holiday season... just a thought smile.gif

Also, I think "For Sale" should be "For Sale & Wanted" ... and perhaps there should be a seperate Accommodation board?

My tuppence worth...

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 01-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

How about an Events and Lan board? It wouldn't get a huge amount of use but that would be an advantage in this case. At least an important thread with the details on an event wouldn't get lost below the day in day out spam. I remember reddy trying to manage all the threads he had to start when he was sorting out the planet lan. I'm sure the board would get loads of use from the gamers but I'm not so sure how it would do with the rest of the boards community. Do ye get together over a pint and argue about polictics and bugers?

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomo:
    As you can see from the Admin boards there is a lot of posts each week on complaints would it be a good idea to have a board to deal with these issues ?</font>

I thought that was one of the functions of the Admin board itself...

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thorbar1:
    How about an Events and Lan board? It wouldn't get a huge amount of use but that would be an advantage in this case. At least an important thread with the details on an event wouldn't get lost below the day in day out spam. I remember reddy trying to manage all the threads he had to start when he was sorting out the planet lan. I'm sure the board would get loads of use from the gamers but I'm not so sure how it would do with the rest of the boards community. Do ye get together over a pint and argue about polictics and bugers?</font>

I like the idea, might not get a lot of use, but it'd make life easier for people who organise LANs. Would people keep reading it if it didn't get a lot of traffic tho? Maybe an admin could post a locked thread to it on the relevant forum or make an announcement about the LAN containing a link to the thread on LAN games....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I don't see a major need to split Politics off Humanities - Humanities although moderately busy is hardly choked up. Given the amount of political posts in there of late I think a seperate Politics board would be unused a lot of the time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bel, if you dont post those kind of posts there, it will always be devoid of such posts smile.gif

Give it a try I'm sure people would enjoy a break from 3DSMax.

Amp/Hobbes, I dunno how DIY/Cooking boards would go down with the locals!

Castor, If we build it they *might* come. I think I'll hang fire for the moment tho.

The science board is up.

Dev.

Lan Gaming sounds good. Plus Bard: if Science was names Sci/Tech and put under Techology, wouldn't the tech bit be redundant? But regardless Science belongs in the Tech group.

But then when you think about it Technology should be under Science.

I'm confused. I DEMAND A CAKE BOARD!!!

Also I want the following:
    An Ironing Board
    A Surf Board
    A Black Board

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

(ahem monday morning madness)

"Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 02-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

You've got Film/Video board so why not a TV board? smile.gif

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

I guess I should say that we have 6 TV boards but perhaps they are not in the main section.

http://www.boards.ie/icdg/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Yeah good point but I can't help noticing how many posts there are about TV shows and characters in the Film / Video board. Although now that we can see the most recent posts from the Community Boards on the main page, maybe people will use those more.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 03-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 03-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I think a travel board would be really useful. I was looking to post something earlier, but i wasn't sure where to post.
    Oh if any of you can put me in touch with a good travel agent, please do. biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Uhmmmmm

just thought of a great one A SINGLES BOARD EH EH (just got sick of ending uo with 47 year old americans pretending to be 16 year old girls) Gawan u know ye wanna chat up the irish babes of the net (if there is any) biggrin.gif

its worth a try and could be funny

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

Advertisement