Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater...going downhill?!

Options
  • 30-06-2005 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Recently bought Train Of Thought there (I know it's been out for ages, but only bothered me arse there today) and I must say it's only average compared with earlier albums (staring into infinity & images and words come to mind), what the funk happened does anybody know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus, if you think Train of Thought is downhill, have a good stiff drink ready for when you hear Octavarium!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I love all the albums, they're not going up or down hill, they're taking a different path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Train of thought wasn't really to my tastes either, and while I prefer Octavarium it's still not a particularly great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Oh dear god Hungus, now I'm realllly scared...wha styley they doin in that?!
    Also I do take your point mp3guy, but taking a new direction hasn't worked out so well for other bands. (no names mentioned, don't wanna start a boards war!)

It's not about taking a new direction, it's about putting out an entirely bland unimaginative boring album. Look at Opeth, they took an absolute U-turn with Damnation in terms of direction, and it was still an amazing album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah, have to say I'm not too impressed with them recently. I did like Train of Thought to an extent, but Octavarium hasn't really appealed to me yet.

I was so looking forward to them at Graspop, but weren't really anything to get excited about. I knew that they wouldn't really shine at a festival, but they really weren't good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Train Of Thought is easily the best album they've ever put out, IMO. Octavarium is their version of Load, methinks. That "Walk Beside You" tune is pure Eurovision :(

Still having just heard their cover of the entire Master Of Puppets albums, I'm prepared to cut them some slack :)

Doctor J wrote:
    That "Walk Beside You" tune is pure Eurovision :(
    lol. I was thinking U2, but same difference I suppose ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Dream Theater albums kinda fall into their own catagory I think.
    See, if you compare ToT with their earlier albums, it seems worse, but if you compare it to any other album by another band, it's great.

BTW, Octavarium rocks, and octavarium is easily one of their best songs.

Crucifix wrote:
    lol. I was thinking U2, but same difference I suppose ;)

Jesus, I thought I was the only one who thought it sounded like U2. Sounding like U2 is always a bad thing in my estimation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Oh dear god what have I gotten myself into by starting this thread...nooooooo!

On a slightly happier note, what are peoples fave DT album?
    (Staring Into Infinity for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Train Of Thought, no doubt about it (excluding the Budokan live album) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Scenes From a Memory. I'm starting to hear Rudess's ragtime solo in the Dance of Eternity in my sleep now...

I've always been partial to Metropolis.

Metropolis pt2: Scenes....etc. for me, with Images and words, and Awake tying second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Awake, its all you need, technical, heavy, light hearted, epic. What more could you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the new one octavarium isnt bad but a bit predictable compared to all the other stuff.
    was buying it the other day and noticed the RIDICULOUS prices of dream theater stuff.
    the new one was a bargain at 21 euro but all the life stuff started at 37.99 while the later studio albums were mainly 24.99

amake and change of seasons were then 15.00 euro which is great value.

Advertisement