Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Steinbeck

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

The Grapes Of Wrath is one of my two favourite books, I've actually only ever read one other of Steinbeck's, Of Mice And Men, I really enjoyed that too so definitely need to read a few more of his.

Cannery Row, The Pearl and Tortilla Flat are all excellent.

Cannery Row has a great mythic feel to it and the characters are wonderfully drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I love all of Steinbecks work. His masterpiece I feel is East of Eden.

The Pastures of Heaven is an oft overlooked gem.

To a God Unknown is one of my all-time favourite books.

Incidentally, though thoroughly deserved IMO, I think the Nobel was more by way of an apology from the literary establishment who had to a large extent denigrated his work over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robbie7171

Kenshi wrote: »
    I am currently about 130 pages into "The Grapes of Wrath" out of 400 and it is indeed excellent. I have a brand new copy of "East of Eden" on my shelf saying "read me" and I intend to do so after "The Grapes of Wrath. I also want to read "Cannery Row" and "Tortilla Flat". Have any of you read either of these or "The Wayward Bus"?

The grapes of wrath is a monster, but well worth the effort. Tortilla Flat is my favourite of Steinbecks....

The Grapes Of Wrath is great.

How about that ending? A great kick in the gut and even though you think you would want a different ending, you know the author's ending is the most fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I love Cannery Row - absolutely fell in love with it. I think it was the first Steinbeck book I read. Read a few others, can't remember now. Might read them again.

That letter was brilliant...

• Advertisement

Cannery Row is a charming piece of work. Like most of Steinbeck's work, it has a mythic quality to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

Love his books have always had a soft spot for Cannery Row.

Only just discovered he wrote a sequel to it called Sweet Thursday. Must read Cannery Row again and then the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

crybaby wrote: »
    Love his books have always had a soft spot for Cannery Row.

Only just discovered he wrote a sequel to it called Sweet Thursday. Must read Cannery Row again and then the sequel.

I read Sweet Thursday. As far as I can remember it didn't have the magic of Cannery Row - still readable though as any Steinbeck book is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Grievous wrote: »
    The Grapes Of Wrath is great.

How about that ending? A great kick in the gut and even though you think you would want a different ending, you know the author's ending is the most fitting.
    Oh that ending blew the head off me when I read it, almost brought me to tears, the only book that has ever done that. Very shocking, poignant and haunting moment but also one of hope and belief in the human spirit.

Advertisement