Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless & NTL - Any issues?

• 30-06-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so we've now decided to go with NTL for broadband, but we'll be going wirelessly, which will mean connecting a router to the NTL modem - I know what type of router is has to be, but has anyone encountered any problems or issues setting up their router with the NTL modem?
    Also, are there any limits on the number of connections with NTL, I saw in the online version of the terms and conditions that they state that only 3 computers can be in a network at any time, is this actually enforced or are they just advising people of this cause they dont want complaints of slow shared connection speeds?
    Also, how strictly is NTL's 1gb-per-day and monthly caps enforced? Do they just contact you and threaten to disconnect you or is there a fee per mb etc. Anyone have any experience of that?
    Thanks in advcance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have NTL with a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. It works a dream, no problems. THe only thing you may need to reboot the NTL modem for the wireless router to pick it up.

Also make sure to get a router with a WAN port, any on this page will do:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=2&CatID=20&l=2&CnL1=NTL/Telewest&CnL2=Wireless%20Cable%20Routers

The number of computers isn't actually enforced, in fact it would be almost impossible for them to tell how many computers are attached to your router. I'd say it is only in the contract to protect against cybercafes or business abusing the service.

The cap isn't heavily enforced, they have only ever wrote to and called some very heavy downloaders and asked them to curtail their usage for the benefit of all customers. They didn't threaten anything, throw anyone off or charge extra (which they can't as it isn't in the contract). I believe most of the users complied as NTL asked so nicely. IMHO this is pretty fair and a glowing example to all other ISPs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That's just what I wanted to hear - fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I'll second everything bk said.
    My router isn't wireless but it worked perfect with ntl from the start.
    [VoIP pimp]
    Another point I'll mention is to consider VoIP when deciding which router to go for. To wit you may be interested in this thread
    I'm with NTl for bb, and www.blueface.ie for VoIP - no more line rental and huge call charges to €ircon for me ;)
    [/VoIP pimp]

causal

Advertisement