Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Validating Flash files?

Options
  • 30-06-2005 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

It’s well documented that IE and Flash can leak memory badly especially if the flash files are left running for long periods of time. Obviously if the flash files themselves are not well made this can make the problem even worse. So I’m looking for a utility that can analyse flash files to fix any errors, check memory and cpu usage. Doesn’t have to be the same utility as long as ultimately I can fix errors and files can be changed to be less hungry on the computer memory and cpu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

meglome wrote:
    It’s well documented that IE and Flash can leak memory badly especially if the flash files are left running for long periods of time. Obviously if the flash files themselves are not well made this can make the problem even worse.

That's a bit of a leap of faith. Some JVMs leak memory, but if you wanted to write a java program that leaks memory you'd have to do it deliberately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Fair enough but I'm looking into the flash itself not the script that loads it. We have taken a good look at how not to have scripts cause memory leaks in IE. I know there are utilities that can analyse/optimise flash files, just looking for a recommendation on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

meglome wrote:
    Fair enough but I'm looking into the flash itself not the script that loads it. We have taken a good look at how not to have scripts cause memory leaks in IE. I know there are utilities that can analyse/optimise flash files, just looking for a recommendation on what?

No, I was just pointing out Java as an analogy. It may simply be that Macromedia's flash player is defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

rsynnott wrote:
    It may simply be that Macromedia's flash player is defective.

It certainly used to be circa 1999 - leave the Flash application, or even a Flash animation in your browser, open for a few hours and your system clock started loosing time. I think they fixed a lot of those problem in subsequent releases though.

meglome: Do you have some links for the memory leak problems you're referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

There are any number of tools to make flash files some of which will be better than others. Which may not be a big issue if the flash file is just loaded for a short period on a webpage. Our flash files will be running for long periods of time so if the files themselves are not well made or just have way too many frames there is going to be a problem with memory and cpu usage on the PC. So I need something to check the actual flash files.

• Advertisement
Advertisement