Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karma System Issue

• 04-07-2001 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

I've got moderators of community boards giving bad karma to posters on the CS board for no apparent reason. Needless to say this is somewhat annoying.

Given that community boards are pretty much open-to-all (within reason), surely community board moderators should not be able to give karma to people on main boards?

PHB just got a negative karma point and a warning of "Constantly causing trouble" for a thread on the CS board where he's trying to organise a league, which is blatantly ridiculous. It came from MOD011, who is the moderator of the VAR community board - a board PHB doesn't even have access to, to the best of my knowledge!

There's potential for this kind of thing to make a mockery of the whole karma system...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The exact mail was
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    This is a warning for your post at:
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum20/HTML/001669.html#0

You are being warned for the following reason:
    Constantly Causing Trouble ... > frown.gif

This warning was issued by MOD011

http://www.boards.ie/
    </font>

tbh I'm pretty annoyed at this, it wasnt even a reason ffs, But luckily we spotted this. Hopefully you can find a UBB hack to sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PHB:
    The exact mail was

tbh I'm pretty annoyed at this.</font>

*Zap*

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

From the VAR Community Board Moderator!?

Does that put us in a spot?

I have absolutely no idea about this situation...

[VAR]-RopeDrink***** was killed by IOL NoLimits with Headshot from Disconnect

<RopeDrink> I know - replied to that
    <RopeDrink> Thats sad
    <RopeDrink> Only one peep I know has the login pass for that mod
    <RopeDrink> And it's rent
    <RopeDrink> Must fix that
    <RopeDrink> :/

I dont mean to be rude but when rent can give people a karma rating, god ****ing help us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

How about ditching the karma system entirely because it seems to be A) Bugged, and B) Open to abuses such as those above.

Also, I gave Tomo -1 Karma last night for quoting entire posts in order to provide a one-line reply while I was drunk smile.gif Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

<RopeDrink> I know - replied to that
    <RopeDrink> Thats sad
    <RopeDrink> Only one peep I know has the login pass for that mod
    <RopeDrink> And it's rent
    <RopeDrink> Must fix that
    <RopeDrink> :/

I dont mean to be rude but when rent can give people a karma rating, god ****ing help us.
    </font>

In my defence here, Alot of people knew my boards.ie password, so I changed it... however the password for MOD011 was the exact same as my old one, i've now changed the password on MOD011 and i'll pass the details onto RopeDrink and co.

Rope, at least 3 other people in the clan have access to that, and at least another 4 people I can think of that would have known the password, so please dont be so quick to shoot ikkle Renton

Sorry 4 using such simple passwords aswell smile.gif

RentZ

</font>

Here lay off ya small bully

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

looks like a serious case of get a new moderator here.
    if you cant even keep a password secret, then i suspect you shouldt be in charge of a mod account

its ok trigger fingers .. crisis averted, Password changed. Time to relax

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Interesting the way MOD011 gave you a karma point Renton. Fingers back on triggers boys.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Advertisement

When was that karma point given?

Could someone be trying to get me in trouble?

Could a Mod plz check on this, cos im not taking the rap for this ****e

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Renton has informed me that the password has now changed, and now only RopeDrink and I have sole access to the new moderator password. Apologies to PHB for any trouble caused, and to any others affected by this unfortunate lapse in security. Renton wouldn't go around distributing karma as far as I know- he's really sound when it comes to clan affairs. Let's all just forget this now please.

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Vade Retro=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

so please dont be so quick to shoot ikkle Renton

Strange because the exact same Mod gave you a +1 Renton. Considering more of your -1 (and you have a lot) are justified.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Renton:

RentZ
    </font>

Hobbes please read the above, Why the fnuk is everyone always jumping on me .... ?

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

* gives Renton a hug * " There there luv "

I dont mean any bad feelings to VAR, rope said soz and thats enough.

But let me get this straight a mod, from a community board, which is basically whoever applied gets the moderatorship, can give me a warning. We really should get this fixed as soon as possible.

Also rent, if you have trusted people with your password, and they abuse it, i suggest you dont trust the people much more. I know about 20 people who have my passwords, then again I know none of them would use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Renton:

RentZ
    </font>

The karma history doesn't tell us the date, Renton, but it does tell us that MOD011 gave you +1 karma. The reason entered is:

"So nice of you to say that smile.gif .. here have +1 karma"

*sigh*

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Dont get me wrong Renton mate, I wasn't suggesting you done anything - It's just at that present time you were the only one I knew that had access...

Thanks for clearing things up...

I was always complaining about how many of the VAR threads were going missing... I didn't know if they were being deleted or they just dissapear after a set time...

Again, sorry about all the fuss!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This situation needs to be corrected.

Community Mods are NOT to give Karma out.
    They shouldnt be able but its a technical issue we have to sort out.

Bear with us, MODnnn karma will be corrected.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    originally posted by renton:

In my defence here, Alot of people knew my boards.ie password, so I changed it... however the password for MOD011 was the exact same as my old one, i've now changed the password on MOD011 and i'll pass the details onto RopeDrink and co.

Rope, at least 3 other people in the clan have access to that, and at least another 4 people I can think of that would have known the password, so please dont be so quick to shoot ikkle Renton

Sorry 4 using such simple passwords aswell

RentZ

</font>

ahem fu<king hem...

Does anyone else find this annoying, or maybe I misunderstood this post, but it seems to me that renton is going to distribute the details of an account from which it is possible to give karma, that's just beyond shocking. And even more shocking is that somebody already was given karma by an unknown person. I was in support for this up until now but I think now it needs a very serious rethink.

Baz_

P.S. tut tut Castor Troy, hope you rectified that one...

• Advertisement

I have asked around, and found out some nasty stuff about the situation...

But for obvious reasons this shall stay between myself and any other people it may concern...

DeVore... May I ask that a new pass be issued to the MOD and emailed to myself alone!?

I may not have been the one who requested the board, but I am the official clan leader and I think it should lie with myself and the Co.leader Bob The Unlucky Octopus...

I'll hand it to him if I recieve it, and it will go no further...

Im still clueless in regards to the whole situation, but I'll make damn sure there is no repeat of it... It is worrying me greatly, and like you said, it needs to be sorted and fast...

Sorry for all the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Personally I find this situation rather worrying. I'm not sure how the Admins feel about this but in my opinion if the community board moderators have any influence, however little, over the non-community board posters then the moderator pass should not in any circumstance be given out to anyone other thsn the board moderator. None of this "I'll only give it to one of my friends" crap. That never works. As we've seen numerous times with RCON passes for servers people get it and distribute it. It happens and it shouldn't. IMO a community board moderator has much the same obligation to keep their mod pass secure as a normal boards moderator and that means one person alone should have the pass.
    If another needs it like the co-leader of a clan or whatever is there any way to make two moderators on community boards? I don't hang out there much so I'm not sure.

.logic.

too many people with far to much time on their hands worrying about things that really arent important.
    if yis get up in arms about this, id hate to see you people if a real life crisis happened!

More helpful advice from WWman as usual rolleyes.gif

.logic.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by logic1:
    More helpful advice from WWman as usual rolleyes.gif

.logic.
    </font>

id like to think of it more as an observation rather than as advise.
    its the same as the 12 click brigade.
    one little issue and it all gets blown out of proportion by people who really should have better things to do. like nit-pick my comments

Your Imps Demand Cable...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    people who really should have better things to do. like nit-pick my comments
    </font>

So it's better to nit pick your comments than to call for muppets to be twelve clicked? Well I'm glad you hold your own comments and observations in such high esteem. You certainly make enough of them. And usually it is most useful when an observation contains some piece, however small, of useful or relevant information. Yours, my fast mouthed friend, do not. Maybe you prefer to be useless.

.logic.

an observation doesnt need to conatin any useful or relavant information.
    its mearly an observation.
    but im glad you feel the need to discuss it with me

And usually it is most useful when an observation contains some piece, however small, of useful or relevant information.
    </font>

I'm sure a person with as many posts as yourself will have clearly read and understood my post before posting a rebuttal.
    You'll notice I stated "Usually it is most useful when" I specifically didn't state that an observation HAS to contain useful or even relevant information. But thanks for pointing out to the lesser mortals a potential pitful in understanding the full meaning of my post.

.logic.

I'm sure a person with as many posts as yourself will have clearly read and understood my post before posting a rebuttal.
    </font>

um, no, not really. why? does it have something to do with the amount of posts someone has? how curious!
    You'll notice I stated "Usually it is most useful when" I specifically didn't state that an observation HAS to contain useful or even relevant information.</font>

then what exactly is your point?
    im sorry, ive got a short attention span, can you tell me again?
    But thanks for pointing out to the lesser mortals a potential pitful in understanding the full meaning of my post.
    </font>

to be honest, you and i are probably the only people who are reading the thread anymore. so im afraid the rest of the world will remain uneducated.
    and again, im still glad that you want to further discuss my observations. im sure you are a veritable rallying point in any good causes you should care to patronise

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Advertisement

<it's been a hard day wwman.>

.logic.

[This message has been edited by logic1 (edited 05-07-2001).]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement