Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Low Spec Lan Games?

Options
  • 01-07-2005 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for ideas for some fun, and not too old games for a lan.

But that would work on a PC about 500-600mhz, 128ram etc.

I am getting a 2nd PC soon when I find one to buy, and want to have a few good lan games with a friend on my 2 computers. What sort of games would anyone recommend in the FPS/3rd person shooter category that would work on a 600mhz machine with 128/192/256ram? (And I mean that would work fairly decently)

So Far I have Unreal Tournament, Mobile Forces, and Soldier of Fortune 2.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Delta Force: Land Warrior...you should pick it up for a tenner at most. its a very fun game when you get the idea of stupidly big maps + 2 snipers....it can take 15-20 mins to walk from one end of the map to the other in some of them. runs on all but the slowest of machines and best of all runs perfectly off a 56k modem if you ever want to try multiplayer.

all in all its a fun game with acceptable graphics and huge maps... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Duke3D. Hail to the king, baby!

Duke Nukem 3D is an old game, but has lots of maps, and runs nicely.

One thing to consider: if one PC is faster than the other, the faster machine will have an advantage.

Remember playing a mate. I was playing on a 500Mhz Celeron, and he was playing on a 266Mhz Pentium. When he saw my forces approaching on his screen, on my screen his base was already overran (C&C: Red Alert).

Saying that, if both machines had a similair spec, get Red Alert 2.

I know you said FPS, but a good game of Red Alert (with 2 good players), and the game can last hours! Quite literally. 5 hours. Small skirmishes, nuking each other, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Syco the best showing of power is to use no super weapons I second RA2 and Yuri's revenge and take a look for the mods blitzkreig etc. Quake and Doom should be on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thanks for that, didn't consider Delta Force! Good idea.

Red Alert 2, also great idea.

One machine will be a 600mhzish machine. More then enough to handle RA2 no matter what speed the opposing machine would be. :)

However, the setup will be - 1 P3 500/600mhz 192mb ram
    -2 P4 3400mhz 1024ram

So you can imagine they have to be old games to be fair. I could play games that would run on the bare specs of the low machine but tbh I want games that'll be visually similar on both machines. So thats why so far its all games like Sof2, UT and Mobile Forces - 500mhz and 192 ram will handle them just as well as the p4 would! I want 2 machines to be relatively equal in gameplay basically.

Duke 3D is a good idea - however I dont want the hassle of getting the build engine games to work on my xp sp2 :)
    Quake and Doom should be on the list.

TBH I'd rather be playing minesweeper then those old games on Lan, too old to be enjoyable for just 2 players. Has to be something with bot support generally.

Dungeon keeper the original, something like Half life the original?

• Advertisement

astec123 wrote:
    Dungeon keeper the original, something like Half life the original?

Speaking of Half Life, you reminded me - Day of Defeat with bots for sure! Awesome fun. Dont even suggest CS, find that game a pile of uninteresting crap tbh...lol

Speaking of Half Life, you reminded me - Day of Defeat with bots for sure! Awesome fun. Dont even suggest CS, find that game a pile of uninteresting crap tbh...lol

Dont worry I hate the CS crap too, never done a lan battle myself. But I do like to play online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Quakeworld is very enjoyable 1on1 and has good bot support (with better AI than most ~04 games)..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sven Co-op MOD for half-life? with only 2 people could be rough, but maybe worth a try.

Would that PC support Serious Sam? its an old enough game, and the graphics do go pretty damn low in it too if memory serves.

The origional Red Alerts can give some brilliant battles on LAN, as can Total Annihilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

HL1 Deathmatch.
    Or Duke3d like the_syco said.
    Or even age of empires 1/2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH I'd rather be playing minesweeper then those old games on Lan, too old to be enjoyable for just 2 players. Has to be something with bot support generally.

Hold on there a minute. I think you really should consider Doom for it's co-op mode. It's ridiculously good fun. At lans we regularly shun newer games for a good co-op game of Doom 1+2 and the final doom wads. Believe me when I say it's still as good today as it was all those years ago (Well Doom 1 isn't as good as the other games in the series). No FPS game has come close to emulating the sheer amount of enemies you face in the Doom games.

If you want a good build engine multiplayer game then Shadow Warrior can't be beaten. Excellent level design and fantastic weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

quake 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

yeah just about to say quake 3 :) loved that game
    as u are all saying rts's rather then fps's give cossacks a try runs great on really low computer, HUGE battles great fun also cheap these days (good game can last hours)

also i was never a real fan of CS but in a LAN set up it is great fun plus load of bot to fill up the server and atleast u know the other players arnt cheating ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

BF 1942 might run for you on that machine on low specs. It's always fun but two people for a large map can lead to very little action. I dont know about bots for the game either.

Defo CS, and don't just deny a game because you're no good at it.

BF 1942 might run for you on that machine on low specs. It's always fun but two people for a large map can lead to very little action. I dont know about bots for the game either.

Defo CS, and don't just deny a game because you're no good at it.

I'm not even going to attempt BF42 with bots on a low end p3 rig. It'll work, but at a pathetic level! As for CS - I was actually a decent player, I Just hate it and always have - But I played HL original multiplayer and DoD quite regularly :)

And as for Doom2 Retrogamer - now that you mention it, I remember playing it Deathmatch with bots recently with a friend - thousands of bodies everywhere! It was admitadly one of the more awesome and fun game experiences as of late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Kingpin, Medal of Honour, dunno if they have bot support though, been ages since I played either. Good craic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you want to play Unreal online there's a server at our site - www.unreal.ie.

Macros42 wrote:
    If you want to play Unreal online there's a server at our site - www.unreal.ie.

Man - there was a day where me and my friends were gods at that game. Now, 4 years on I returned to UT full of hope of a fresh gaming experience.

Got destroyed by every type of noob possible, from ones with names like "Killer87" and "timmy" to ones who got their only kill points from killing me! :rolleyes:

Will have to do a bit of practice first before comtemplating a return :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Solitaire CTF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Commandos 1 + 2- Good Co-op Action, Tom Clancy's: Sum of All Fears-
    Co-op Missions. (Runs on my p3 933mhz, 128mb ram just fine). Give BF192 ago, have your main rig host a 20ish bot server should run fine. Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (Bot Mulitplay). All I can think of atm. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Total Annihilation - one of the best LAN games I've ever played ... amazing fun

Old enough to run on a P2 with good enough gfx, and new enough to kick the living crap out of RA and all other clones :D

I'm not actually sure which came first ... but either way, it's GOOODD :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Starcraft and brood wars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

malice for quake1 if you can get your mits on it

So far, I have Mobile Forces, UT, Soldier of Fortune 2, Red Alert, Doom, Delta Force, Quake 3, SiN, Day of Defeat...

One question - can Halo be played Lan without a valid CD key? Does the cd key need only be valid for online play or is it for the entire multiplayer aspect?

Thanks for all the suggestions :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Every single game I have encountered does not need a valid cd key to play on LAN
    so I think it is more than safe to assume the same will be true of that game also. If not then you can prob get a crack that will let you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Halo doesnt have a co-op version on the PC, not sure if it has bots or not (I heard there wasnt a co-op, and sort of went 'bugger that' tbh), but I cant see it being fun 1v1.

Advertisement