Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB and a Linksys router

• 01-07-2005 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I was connected to Irish Broadband Breeze 2Mb today. Elated at the prospect of being free of dial-up once again (i previously had eircom home starter until they one day decided that my line wasn't suitable anymore) I paid a visit to Peats and accuired the follwing to set up my very own wireless network:

1 x Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54GS)
    1 x Linksys Wireless G PCI Card
    1 x Linksys Wireless G PCMIA Card

Upon arriving home I set about the task of setting up the aforementioned devices. All seemed to go without a hitch until I rebooted laptop and PC to discover both reporting an excellent connection to the access point but no connection to the internet.

Now I accessed the internet earlier in the day using my laptop's ethernet port so I know that the connection is there and that the settings i have are correct. The IBB power supply has a green-light for the connection, as does the router.

Thinking maybe there was a problem with the wirelessness I uninstalled the wireless PCMIA and just for good measure restored the router to factory settings. I then connected the laptop and router via an ethernet cable and set about configuring the router. When this was done an "Internet Gateway" appear in my Network Connections* which claims to be connected to the web but none of my programs can access it (I can't even ping an IP from the command prompt)

Has anyone had a similar problemor can suggest a solution?
    Thank you

* http://members.boards.ie/zounds/screen1.JPG
    http://members.boards.ie/zounds/screen.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

if you have a static ip you have to put that, the netmask and dns in - apart from that i did very little to reconfirgure mine from dsl apart from changing it to static ip

when you get it up and going google hyperwrt - it's a brilliant firmware that allows nice QOS and port forwarding/triggering

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

one thread one forum please. Left you a solution that will more than likely fix your problem in the computer forum...

Advertisement