Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok heres the deal

• 01-07-2005 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Ok heres the deal,
    I currently have a crap ZyXEL broadband modem (got with UTV) it connects to my computer via USB there is no Ethernet port on the modem.
    Now recently I bought ALDIs wireless router that had a built in adsl modem but it failed to detect my DSL connection. I bought it back got my money back and boughT a linksys wireless router that looked like it had the same setup. I.E. on the back of the box it showed a port marked DSL.
    I got it back to my gaff opened it up and the port that was marked DSL was actully just an ethernet port. Obviously you just connect you DSL modem to this port , however what do you do if you Modem has no ethernet port.

My question is this can someone recomend a good DSL modem - Wireless router combo.
    The Linksys router in question was model no: WRT54G

O dear my mistake , please move this to wireless board.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

well that was a router you got, without a built-in modem, so indeed you need to connect a modem to it via ethernet, so you will need a new modem, i have found my D-Link DSL-300G+ a good modem in general ( you can use it without a router also, it has its own PPPoE client so it stays connected and doesnt require your computer to dial lol )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I should clarify I want a wireless router with a built in ADSL modem. I think this confusion is caused by the fact this is on the broadband board rather than the wireless board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

The wireless, wired, dsl in one Netopia 3347 that Eircom send out is a decent piece of equipment with easy to configure menus.

I'm sure there are plently of people out there now ordering DSL from Eircom, receiving the wireless modem but only have a desktop pc and could just use the ZyXEL or any basic dsl modem.

I wonder if any of them think the aerial is for the radio on Media Player!

Advertisement