Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router - suggestions/recommendations

• 01-07-2005 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I know we've been here before and there are lots of topics on the subject. but i just cannot find the correct answer to my query.

I've recently bought a new laptop - it's wireless. I've got IBB installed in my home and would now like to get a router and whatever else i may need to free me of running an ethernet cable around the house just to make a connection to my BB.

what would be the one to buy and to do the job for me? ive found some very helpful posts on setup etc, but im just a little unsure as to what equipment to go for and how much to expect to pay.

thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Get a Linksys WRT54G.

I've bought one myself, four of my friends have one, I bought 2 for people i've built computers for and so far they're all running perfectly. They have a good feature set, good range and signal quality and are resonably cheap. Their firmware is opensource, so if there is a bug, you dont have to wait for Linksys to fix it. Plus thirdparty firmwares have a LOT of nice extra features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

maplins had a deal last week.
    i forget which make, but a wireless router with either a free usb wireless adaptor or network card.
    for something like 119

i'd already ordered me smart one by then, doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I have to agree with Mutant. I have a linksys too and never had any problems with it at all. I had a cheap belkin router before and it used to hang when doing certain things on the net. Since changing to linksys, I have had no problems with it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

this is great, thanks for the valuable info. with such a topic unfortunately im lost and at beginner level!

Linksys it is - now to shop around! I presume that because my laptop is wireless all i need is the router and it'll pick up the signal and function? and that 'the corpo' post would be for someone with a non wireless loaded laptop to give them wireless capability?

thanks a lot, appreciated

while i think of it - IBB supplied me with one IP address (static), SNM, default gateway and a couple of DNS addressess.

do I need another IP address to get this lot working, or do I give the static IP to the router and connect via that way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

ciarsd wrote:
    while i think of it - IBB supplied me with one IP address (static), SNM, default gateway and a couple of DNS addressess.

do I need another IP address to get this lot working, or do I give the static IP to the router and connect via that way?

No, you will not need another ip address...

this is how you do it....

1. Plug internet connection into the "internet" port on the back of router.
    2. Power on router & laptop.
    3. Go into your laptops network settings and set everything to DHCP (automatically assign ip addresses)
    4. enable your network connection on the laptop.
    5. open internet explorer and type in the routers address normally for linksys 192.168.1.1 but check this in manual.
    6. There you will see a section for your internet settings. Enter the details that IBB provided to you. ip/dns etc in there. The router will then use those to connect to IBB.
    7. CHANGE THE ADMIN PASSWORD

The next bit is a bit complex but important to secure your network from external wireless devices...
    8. Read the linksys manual and follow the instructions for securing your network using the "shared key". Essentially, you type in a password on the router setup and it gives you a "password" back to enter into your laptop making sure only authenticated PC's can connect to your router. Some where else in the security of your router, you can turn off router SSID broadcasting, this will stop your router from shouting "I'm here" to every wireless device in range ( another bit of security). You have to turn broadcasting on temporarily when you are trying to connect other devices though.

Hope this helps ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Use the MAC address filter also to restrict what devices can connect to the wireless network.

lads thats super info. thanks a lot.

feel confident enough to do this myself, just need to shop around for the Linksys router!

tnx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I have a linksys wrt54Gs great router never had any problems + using hacked firmware is a bonus just enabled wpa2 on mine :D and lots of other feature's

Advertisement