Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The exam system

Options
  • 01-07-2005 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

What think ye of school exams? Was just reading about how Minister for Education Mary Hanafin wants to introduce another exam earlier in the Leaving Cert year, to account for 25% of total marks for the year. The main reason being that it will take some pressure off the students for the main exams, and help reduce stress and general freaking out. Do you think there should be an alternative approach, such as continual assesment. Personally I think the idea of tests isnt very good, as it creates a disliking of the education process, causing the students to not want knowledge. Surely there could be a different way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I think the Leaving Cert and Irish Second level is a great educational system but terrible for deciding who goes where and does what at 3rd level.

Unlike the British System, Students in Ireland that go as far as LC get a very broad education, with maths, english, irish being standard and a reasonable choice for 4 more subjects.

However, I think the CAO and the points system is a deeply flawed method for deciding 3rd level places. It's good in the fact that in 95% of cases it's indiscrimatory, it doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, if you get the points you get in. But in other ways, it's biased towards those with strong memories and those in good schools.

I'm yet to read the details about this do 25% then and 75% in June of 6th year. I assume there will be summer exams at the end of 5th year which account for 25%. I can't really find a flaw in this,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cianos wrote:
    What think ye of school exams? Was just reading about how Minister for Education Mary Hanafin wants to introduce another exam earlier in the Leaving Cert year, to account for 25% of total marks for the year. The main reason being that it will take some pressure off the students for the main exams, and help reduce stress and general freaking out. Do you think there should be an alternative approach, such as continual assesment. Personally I think the idea of tests isnt very good, as it creates a disliking of the education process, causing the students to not want knowledge. Surely there could be a different way?

I think continuous assesment is the way to go alright, for most of the subjects there should be project like work, as well as one final exam.

I would think that the skills learned in a project (researching etc) for a subject would be far more useful in life after school, then sitting down for 3 hours and doing a mental-vomit of facts you have tried to memorise. I was always shìte at exams, but excelled at project work so found that academic life didn't suit me at all, but was grand once I hit the work force.

Also, it may help focus students in 5th year - rather than having one set of exams that are nearly 2 years off (which probably seems like a lifetime away to a lot of the students), they will know that they have to work towards a project that is due sooner than that. I think that most of the students would prefer project work to an exam, and therefore they are more likely to get involved in classes, and even get to like the subject somewhat.

Obviously, this would require a substantial change to the syllabus, or at least changes to the marking system etc, so can't be done quickly. I would like to think that this is first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

"The NCCA proposals are designed to reduce the much-criticised stress that the Leaving Cert places on rote learning. Instead, the NCCA backed a shift towards more independent and self-directed learning. But the Minister has said she doubts the capacity of many teenage boys, in particular, to respond to this kind of approach."

ooh controversial.

She also said she would`nt back the project work thing eoin_s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Austin A35

:mad: I think the minister for education needs a kick up the (arsehole) stupid c*nt its not fair the way they use students as pen and paper to see how smart they are they should introduce more practical subjects to see what students talents are etc. anyone agree with me??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Beau wrote:
    "The NCCA proposals are designed to reduce the much-criticised stress that the Leaving Cert places on rote learning. Instead, the NCCA backed a shift towards more independent and self-directed learning. But the Minister has said she doubts the capacity of many teenage boys, in particular, to respond to this kind of approach."

ooh controversial.

She also said she would`nt back the project work thing eoin_s

well, I think it is fairly proven by now that girls are better in school, both results and work ethic, so probably can't argue too much.

I don't see how an earlier exam shifts away from rote learning - it is just rescheduling it, but the same format.
    introduce more practical subjects to see what students talents

Totally agree, whatever about office workers etc not taking much from school, what good are the current subjects to people who want to be mechanics, carpenters etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

It's not perfect, but it's a start towards reform. It's basically going to make every exame like French is now - 25% early on, 75% in the final exam. Which isn't great (a move towards continual assessment would be better) but is at least better than things are now. And while it won't get rid of rote learning, it will at least lighten the load when the final exams roll around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Reduce Stress!!!

U have got to be kidding! Alot of people here have admitted the only time there is stress is just before english then once u start them they are just like any other exam. They are right it is. If you keep telling yourself that you need to do well and do this and that, that is stress put on you by yourself.

You can always redo the exams no one denies u that. If you fail u can always go back and do it again. Sure what is one year spent in secondary for the money that can possibly be made by you for your degree.

One year in life is nothing. A certification is something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I think it's built to destroy any individualistic, unsystematic and creative urges that you may have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

grasshopa your right i think its there for that reason. Anything u try to explain in your own words in anything is wrong full stop.

I love your sig aswell best saying ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It very much is a systematic exam. The further into the year you get, the more it becomes about mindless memorising and less about understanding the concepts that it teaches. It's overhyped and it really gets to a lot of people, causing them to give up their hobbies in a lot of cases. It's designed to prepare you for college, which requires that kind of learning to do well. I wrote a hell of a lot about it in my angry leaving cert state...

• Advertisement
Advertisement