Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can your line handle 2MB?

• 01-07-2005 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Newgrange said in another thread
    Make sure you can actually get the 2MB. I 'upgraded' to it, paid the extra, and was left with a 1MB product - they said my line could not do 2MB - how likely that is, I have no idea.

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There was a condition in the product description for the original 512k RADSL that a line was 'guaranteed' to 256k only. I cannot find that now, surprise surprise :(

There is some speculation that as all the home packages were 512k until Smart launched , and as the 2Mbit was created to be 'Up To 4 Times Faster than 512k' in order to contend with Smart , that the minimum service guarantees were left as they always had been , 256k for RADSL products.

Therefore the situation up to March 2005

Starter Package 512k (256k guaranteed) so the Starter Package was an up to 512k package not a 512k package.

Enhanced Package 512k (256k guaranteed) so the Enhanced Package package was an up to 512k package not a 512k package .

The reality could be half what was described in an ad.

Situation March 2005 onwards.

Starter Package 1024k (256k guaranteed) so the Starter Package is an up to 1024k package with 25% speed guaranteed .

Enhanced Package 2048k (256k guaranteed) so the Enhanced Package is an up to 2048k package with 12.5 % speed guaranteed .

Whatever about 512k = 256k guaranteed (50%) a package delivering either 25% or worse 12.5% of what it is advertised at is neither Truthful , Honest or in any other way excusable.

Some , if not most, do get the advertised headline speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

You would need to live in a very congested area with a high uptake of broadband to get less than 200k from a 2Mbit connection.

Personially the only time I get less than 212k is when I download from a slow server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was on IOLBB+, automatically upgraded to 2Mbit. My line couldn't handle it (I'm ~4KM from the exchange I think) and kept dropping. After a lot of hassle, they dropped my for to 1Mbit.

Advertisement