Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vieri released by Inter

• 01-07-2005 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Inter cancel striker Vieri's deal
    Inter Milan have released Italian international striker Christian Vieri after six years at the club.

Inter cancelled the 31-year-old's contract, which was due to expire next summer, after an indifferent season at the San Siro.

"Inter thanks Christian Vieri for his contribution to the history of the club and he thanks both Inter and its fans," said a statement on the club's website.

Vieri fell behind Adriano and Obafemi Martins in the pecking order last term.
    I'm really suprised at this. I seen Vieri and Martins rip Brescia apart a couple of months ago. I suppose when he and Adriano can't play together, considering the wages they're on one of them has to go.

Spurs were linked with him this morning before he was released.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bolton anyone :)
    Quality quality player and should be signed by Everton if they could get him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

brilliant player.

but could Bolton/Everton afford his wages?

Big target man, excellent header of the ball and not shabby with his feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Linked with Spurs according to Sky Sports, with Kanoute rumoured to be leaving and Robbie unsettled, it's not too surprising.

If they do get him, Robbie has to leave, Jol will start with Defoe and Vieiri up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Ya saw that too on planet football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Good player and would be a great signing for any PL club.....cant see him moving to Spurs unless they offer huge wages.....could move back to Spain where he had a good time with Valencia......or alot of Italian clubs will be after him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kaimera wrote:
    brilliant player.

but could Bolton/Everton afford his wages?

Big target man, excellent header of the ball and not shabby with his feet :)
    not entirely true - he has a world class left foot, but my 6yo bro has a better right foot!

Tauren wrote:
    not entirely true - he has a world class left foot, but my 6yo bro has a better right foot!

Also is a great header of the ball!!! 35mil Inter paided for him suggests he might be a bit better than ur 6yo bro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Big Nelly wrote:
    Also is a great header of the ball!!! 35mil Inter paided for him suggests he might be a bit better than ur 6yo bro :D
    shhhhh - i'm hoping chelsea will come in with a big money move. :D

i think Vieri's alround play is good, put if you can force him to shoot with his right he won't cause too many problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I hope Rafa is paying attention.

Vieri has been one of my favourite players for the last 6/7 years. The complete striker for me. Can't believe Inter just cancelled his contract like that. He must be on savage wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just seen this in a Reuters article:

Vieri was one of the best paid players in Italy, earning a reported 12 million euros a year including sponsorship and marketing deals. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ardent wrote:
    I hope Rafa is paying attention.

Vieri has been one of my favourite players for the last 6/7 years. The complete striker for me. Can't believe Inter just cancelled his contract like that. He must be on savage wages.
    Yes coupled with his age and moodswings he has been widely regarded in italy over the past few years as a very difficult person to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He still has a hugely positive talent-trouble ratio.
    He might be a lot of trouble, but he has the skill of one of the best players in the entire world.
    Bolton bound!!!
    G'wan Bolton, sign him up

PHB wrote:
    He still has a hugely positive talent-trouble ratio.
    He might be a lot of trouble, but he has the skill of one of the best players in the entire world.
    Bolton bound!!!
    G'wan Bolton, sign him up
    Agreed I would love if Sam could swing this Gwan the Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

A bit stupid of inter, surely they could have gotten something for him?

However, its a bargain for whatever team do end up getting him, quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

quality, quality player. i could see him going to somewhere like liverpool. i wouldnt discount seeing him at chelsea either. he is a proven goalscorer at the highest level. they could sign him on a 2 year deal perhaps. hope not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

just out of curiosity how much did inter pay for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

£35 million i think. it was apparently a world record fee at the time when he moved from Laizio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Apparently Newcastle have made an enquiry

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hopefully Sevilla get him, then they'll be more likely to listen to reasonable offers for wantaway Baptista.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Vieri is an animal of a player. He is supposably the most physical player to mark because of his size and his Italian stlye of play. He will probably stay in Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

souness claims he set on a move to spain. i think his style would suit the premiership. given the right service im sure he would be a fantastic signing but again its this huge reluctance for players from italy and spain to move to england.

yes i know there have been many players who have moved, but the top players e.g. ronaldinho, nesta, adriano etc. just dont want to play in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

His preference for Spain is because he spent a year of his career their after leaving Juventus. He had a phenomenal season with Atletico scoring as many goals as playing games :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

AFAIK, at the beginning of his Inter contract, he was on £123,000 per week with stock options in the club, and his various merchandising deals. At the time, he was first choice in the Italian national team, and banging in the goals at all levels, particularly in his spell with Athletico Madrid. However, a few years down the line and his form has dipped drastically. I'd imagine that in a similar move to Barcelona dumping Skeletor a few years back, they simply don't feel he's worth the money anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fade away into a similar obscurity.

Just signed for AC Milan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wonder if this mean Crespo is staying at Chelsea...

kinda weird decision by Milan imo but then he was on a free.

kaimera wrote:
    wonder if this mean Crespo is staying at Chelsea...

kinda weird decision by Milan imo but then he was on a free.

Think Milan have got pissed off with Chelsea and prob will not take back Crespo!!! good replacement thou!! WOuld like to see Crespo have another crack at PL......he is class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Great signing for Milan, can see him regaining his old form now if for no reason other than to annoy Inter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone think he'll be a regular? Would Shev-Vieri work? Whither Inzaghi, Crespo and Tomasson? Where will Gilardino end up? So many questions :D

It looks like Crespo will be off, so either Chelsea will take him back and give up on Trezeguet or he'll head off somewhere else. If Trez goes to London, Gila might end up in Turin, which would make for a nice set of attackers with Mutu, Zlatan and Del Piero.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think Gilardino is going anywhere.

There was talk earlier that Stevie Gerrard would get nothing but harassment off Liverpool fans if he moved to Chelsea, think of the hassle Vieri is going to get lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Willem D wrote:
    There was talk earlier that Stevie Gerrard would get nothing but harassment off Liverpool fans if he moved to Chelsea, think of the hassle Vieri is going to get lol.
    Well the fact that Inter released him despite him having a year left on his contract will mitigate some of the ire towards him.

Inter and Milan transfer players between them all the time (Crespo (indirectly), Coco, Pirlo, West, Baggio (indirectly), Davids (indirectly), Seedorf...) and the players never seem to get much hassle. Milan always, always win on these deals though - they offload their rubbish on Inter and pick up stars on the cheap.

Does anyone know if those Swiss guys took over Parma, or are going to? That's the only way Gila will be in yellow and blue next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

So Vieri joins his best friend Pippo Inzaghi in AC Milan.......they will be spending even more time clubbing than they did before, rather than focusing on training :D

I believe Crespo may head to Juve if Trezeguet gets sold to some English club,and there would be enough money for Juve to buy Cassano from Roma too. If Trezeguet stays in Turin, don't think Juve will have money to spend to buy new players. Gilardino is too expensive for Juve's politics I believe :(

Gilardino to AC Milan is possible, but this would mean having too many strickers in the team (Shevchenko, Tomasson, Inzaghi, Vieri, Gilardino, Crespo is he doesn't leave and Kaka behind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Milan will probably cool their interest in Crespo now that they have Vieri. Tomasson is a backup player and Inzaghi is far too injury prone to be relied upon. A Shev/Vieri/Inzaghi/Gilardino rotation would work quite well I feel :]

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm if Roma are allowed sell Cassano now that they've got this year-long transfer ban?
    Both Milan and Inter are making serious noises about buying Gilardino. I think I'd much rather have him than Trezeguet at Juve, and the transfer sums being bandied about are fairly similar for both. Getting Crespo would be a bad move, he's getting on and would have no resale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Roma can sell any player, but only in exchange of cash. They are not allowed to buy new players either.

Advertisement