Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Converting a Ghost Image to a bootable ISO file

• 01-07-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi im wondering is it possible to convert an existing Ghost image into a bootable .iso file.

i have an existing ghost image of XP pro and i want to convert it to an iso using Ultraiso.

Is this possible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

woodyg wrote:
    Hi im wondering is it possible to convert an existing Ghost image into a bootable .iso file.

i have an existing ghost image of XP pro and i want to convert it to an iso using Ultraiso.

Is this possible

I know ghost gives you this option when you are actually creating the ghost - so it should be possible. Have you played around with the various stuff it installed in Windows? Or searched the manual?

Basically you just need a bootable DOS CD, that has ghost on it and autoruns ghost with the correct command line options when booted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i cant use ghost cause it requires a new image to be created and it points the new image to be split between a local drive and the dvd you want to right to.

i need to create a bootable iso file so i can image an IBM server which ahs scssi drives on it.

i tryed just writing the ghost image file to a dvd and getting ghost to point to the image but it just doesn't regognise the file.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What you may need to do is create a bootable CD with three parts
    First a boot disk / CD that can load DOS drivers so you can see the SCSI and CD drives. - point Nero or whatever at this when it asks for the bootable disk - if the Ghost CD recognises the drives you might be able to use it.
    Next Ghost program files that run from DOS. I'd imagine you'd copy all the files off the Ghost CD into a folder, so you could point at that folder when adding files to the list to be burnt.
    Third the image itself.

If Ghost bootable CD won't recognise the SCSI drives and can't be started from a dos prompt then you have to hunt down an older version, and I've no idea if the saved format would be readable by it.

Option B - the CD drive is probably IDE, so put the image on an IDE hard drive and plug it in.

Advertisement