Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Azureus?

Options
  • 01-07-2005 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was using Azureus for all my downloads. Everything was fine until I downloaded their latest update about a fortnight ago. Since then my downloads are really slow (5-10kb/s) and then come to a halt altogether after about 70MB. I was wondering is there another program with the similar features to Azureus, which I can use? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Have you updated your Jave Runtime Environment. You need to have JRE1.5 (or JRE5) otherwise it's dog slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks, I just did that. It still seems slow though. At the moment I'm getting a download speed of about 12/13kB/s. I have the upload speeds limited to 12kB/s — I am never sure how high to limit that. The face is a green smiley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

bear in mind that the download speed is limited by the upload speed of the peers. So maybe it's just that torrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I changed the settings of Azureus as follows and I'm now getting much faster downloads (around 50kB/s).
    8 kb for global max upload speed
    0 kb for global max download speed
    2 default max upload slots per torrent
    100 maximum number of connections per torrent
    100 maximum number of connections globally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm experiencing the same slowness with the download speeds since that upgrade.

To be honest it's never been that fast on Azureus. Always around 2 - 20k... Had 60 once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

I use bitcomet, never slower than 30 and reg over the 70 mark, upto 110 on a good day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

What command line Bittorrent clients are out there, while on the topic?

Perferably something cross-OS, like Azureus (I use OSX, Linux and Windows at home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fenster wrote:
    What command line Bittorrent clients are out there, while on the topic?

Perferably something cross-OS, like Azureus (I use OSX, Linux and Windows at home)
    The original client is command line, and written in Python, so thoroughly OS-independant.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

can anyone tell me how to download Azureus? I had it before but it got deleted and now whenever i try to get it installed for free i get brought to a 5 step guide to installing it but it just leads me HEAnet.com and theres nothing there related to it, can anyone help??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Latest version at time of print: 2.3.0.4. Go to azureus.sourceforge.net for the project homepage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 AudioMove

I use BitComet at the moment and find it one of the best torrent apps at the moment. It also allows you to download individual files inside torrents too which is great.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have started to use Azureus and found that after 2-3mins the pc reboots itself.

I power it down at this stage as I thought it could be spyware etc trying to gain access on the reboot ???

Have nay of you seen this before and how to fix.
    Why do folks change their ports --is this needed and how is it done if so

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I find utorrent to be quite good.
    Google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Azureus gets about 200KB/s for me its far better than the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I use bitcomet, never slower than 30 and reg over the 70 mark, upto 110 on a good day :)
    Me too. What do you set your global max upload rate to? (I presume you're on a 1Mb line?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I will second µTorrent, it's a healthy mix of Azureus and ABC, but without killing your DNS so you can't surf the web and torrent at the same time (stupid Azureus).
    It's still a bit buggy at the moment, but it's number 1 for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭EL WOG

Anyone know how to setup Azureus correctly to increase download speeds,
    I only installed it the other day with a java program too, can get speeds as low as 500b/s and max of about 11kb/s, changing all the time, any help would be great
    thanks
    EL WOG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Make sure that the Windows XP firewall is not turned on. I updates Azureus and was having similar problems to the op. This was fixed by turning off WinXP firewall.

Advertisement