Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Airport

• 01-07-2005 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

I'm having real difficulty creating a PC-MAc wireless network on which to file share between my imac (bought yday) and my P4 PC. How does one go about this? They can both connect to the internet using the airport but not eachother. Do I have to use dchp and is using ftp possible?

Thanks
    Gangsta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Gangsta wrote:
    I'm having real difficulty creating a PC-MAc wireless network on which to file share between my imac (bought yday) and my P4 PC. How does one go about this? They can both connect to the internet using the airport but not eachother. Do I have to use dchp and is using ftp possible?

Thanks
    Gangsta

Have you enabled Windows file sharing on both of them? Are you running a firewall on either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what machine is actually sharing the files? After you have sorted out you firewall etc......

Try to put the machine sharing on a fixed ip.

EG, if the Pc is sharing: 192.168.0.5.

then tap command (apple key) + K and type:

smb:\\192.168.0.5

it should prompt you for a username and password, of course you need to use the details of an AC on the machine that is sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

have them both on samba, PC's arent compatible with AppleTalk networks

Jakkass wrote:
    have them both on samba, PC's arent compatible with AppleTalk networks

actually, they are. Windows 2000 can join a AT zone and windows 2000 server can create one. Of course linux includes it also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

is it tiget or panther?

for tiger you need to enable windows sharing individually for each account

and then add a network place in windows to the IP address of the MAC , might want to set this to a static one and then make sur ethe workgroup in the same

Utilities /directory access in Panther

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Thanks guys, I'll try all these things and get back to you.

What do I need to do with the firewall?
    What's samba?
    I'm using Tiger so how do I enable Windows file sharing on it? Can I use FTP?

SAMBA, on windows is basically the built in sharing protocol and on Mac is known as "windows sharing"

from the sounds of things it looks like you want to use the mac as the "server"

hangon, while I boot up a tiger machine here..................

Ok bear in mind that without trickery, you can only share your home directory with the Mac.

Start off with this:

Apple Menu>system prefs>network

select your airport

Select the TCPIP tab, make a note of the IP assigned by DHCP.

select DHCP with manual address on the Configure IPv4 drop down menu.

enter in the ip address x.x.x.5, where is the x is the range that was allocated by DHCP.

click apply now

goto the staring icon, and select windows sharing tickbox & start the service if needed.

That is your share setup, on the Mac. You could go to the hassle of workgroups and so on, but TBH in the long run, using the IP's directly is more reliable, more so on wireless.

On the PC, open up internet explorer and type \\x.x.x.x Firefox will not suffice.

If prompted for a password, remember to use the username and password that is on the Mac!

when you see the drive, right click and select "map network drive"

that should to it....

see how you get on

thanks for the big post, most have taken some time but actually I want to use the win xp pc as the server :eek:

feck!

XP home or pro?

ill type it tommorrow!

• Advertisement

XP home. Btw with manual ips I won't be able to connect to iol bb will I?

Il be waiting for your reply tomorrow, thanks :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Lads Samba is an application that implements the windows file and print sharing on a *nix machine. Samba is not the the built in sharing in windows. Judgeing by this guys other thread where he has downladed samba and is trying to start the server, you have compleatly confused him.

You should be able to share a folder on your Windows PC and browse to it from the Mac. No downlaoding software etc.

The general procedure for sharing a folder in widows is to right click on the folder go to the sharing option and enable the share. Windows (esp XP home) may think you an idiot and get you to run a wizzard to do this.

One of the Mac heads can tell you how to access windows shares on a Mac, iv only ever seen it done, not done it my self.

I got it working last night, no outside software. I created a computer-computer network on the MAC with fixed ips. I don't have a problem with this except now I can't browse the internet on the mac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Gangsta wrote:
    I got it working last night, no outside software. I created a computer-computer network on the MAC with fixed ips. I don't have a problem with this except now I can't browse the internet on the mac

You shouldn't need to set static IP's to make it work assuming your BB router has DHCP.

One of the Mac heads can tell you how to access windows shares on a Mac, iv only ever seen it done, not done it my self.

Apple + K, smb://x.x.x.x

put the mac back on DHCP. Maybe the default gateway or your ISP's DNS address is not entered on the machines?

I don't have it entered no because I don't know the address, I'm on iol bb so if anyone knows the address?

Advertisement