Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarm with GSM dialer

Options
  • 01-07-2005 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I want to install an alarm in my house.
    I would like wireless with a GSM dialer on it.
    My phone line comes from a pole to the eaves of a bungalow so its easily cut, so a mobile phone dialer is important.

I have seen some on www.letsautomate.com that look realy cool, but don't dial out via GSM. They are phone line only.

Another killer app i would be after would be that when the alrm calls me that i can listen in to what is happening in the house.

Can anyone tell me where i might get an alarm that meets all of the above criteria.
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I can 't really see there being one with GSM. You need to get it a number. Even the pay as you go phones expire the credit after a while so it would cost you to keep the GSM working and you would have to remember
    Yale wireless are advertising on the radio alot at the moment and it will dial up to 5 numbers.
    I see where you are coming from if you don't have a phone line but it's a very particular need that most other countries would not need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

you can get units that take a sim card, so you can just buy a pre paid sim.

http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/esp-gsm.htm

don't know if the gsm facility is available on this site, but there's lots of good alarm info. i've found it quite good for researching alarm stuff.
    http://www.sapphire-alarms.co.uk/main.htm

if u've been looking at automation, u might have come across the comfort system (www.comfort.org.uk), which according to home automation afficionados, is the dogs proverbial when it comes to alarms. i think it's got lots of other HA functions and features too, such as being able to turn on your heating remotely, etc.

i think comfort is the system that rings your mobile when your doorbell rings, so you can "answer" the door when you're away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could use Aritech for the wireless side of the alarm. The aritech stuff will integrate with most alarm panels (HKC Europlex etc) and it also has the listen facility, although who wants to listen to their house being wrecked.
    A bungalow is very simple to wire and will work out a lot cheaper than the wireless. All you need is a good drill and a 1 metre bit.

There is a company in Dublin that manufacture GSM diallers, I'll have to do a search for the brochure they sent me, maybe one of the other techs can hekp me here. They are around the €400 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Phonewatch now install GSM diallers in their units, hard to believe I know since they are an eircom company!! but a mate of mine just got one installed, not sure if it costs extra over the normal hardwired version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I have just bought 2 from www.cpc.co.uk made by spybox(do a search on their site). They work very well but not cheap. If you want security they are the way to go. A word of warning if you are connecting them to your alarm yourself you will need a relay and diode, as they cant be electrically connected to the alarm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement