Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head scarves

• 01-07-2005 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Good idea or bad idea?
    I really like them but I've seen too many ppl lookin stupid in them.

Head scarves... Good idea or bad idea? 27 votes

Good idea
    0% 0 votes
    Bad idea
    100% 27 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I will be investing in a nice big headscarf and matching sunnys. Just bought myself a Mazda Mx5 and can't possibly have the top down without the requisite headscarf!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Good idea: Playing frisbee with the dog
    Bad idea: Playing frisbee with the dog

i loved that in ana-maniacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Like a lot of things in life - "it depends"... I've seen it pulled off really well in the past.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If it can be pulled off well, then yeah... But usually it'd be a no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Do you mean the ones like mammy used to wear in the early 70s?

Or the islamic ones? Neither bother me at all, though I'd never wear either myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

shoegirl wrote:
    Do you mean the ones like mammy used to wear in the early 70s?

Or the islamic ones? Neither bother me at all, though I'd never wear either myself.
    :D exactly they are for aul wuns or muslim women..leave well alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Latent Curehead

No, no no! Don't think "my mum in the 70s." Think mysterious, classy, elegant ice-queen. Think a young Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Sharon Stone or Catherine Deneuve.

A belted Mac, fine leather gloves, big movie-star sunglasses, high heels and top it off with a stunning silk headscarf. The 'Sloane Ranger' knotted under the chin scarf can look a little old-fashioned. Try the headwrap, where you drape a large triangle over your head, cross the ends under your chin and knot them at the back or side of your neck.

Then get haughty and just watch the reaction. It's easier to do this with strangers at first and then gradually introduce your Grace Kelly look to your nearest and dearest. I am always amused at how catty girlfriends can be with this - a whole "who do you think you are, Jackie Onassis?" thing.

To hell with the begrudgers. Have a look at http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/rodan657/ and see how young women wear this fabulous look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

not my cup of tea at all. IMO, they belong on people hiding the grey or blue rinse. When i read the thread title, I thought it was referring to bandana's. would the OP go for those instead if they feel the need to cover their head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No - they make your head look small and people suspect you're trying to hide baldness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

on the other hand bandanas make you look cool like solid snake,go for that.
    If you are seventy or eighty though,do it,it's all the rage. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

They must be a strange fashion item! I always associated them with modesty as well. I think how you look in them depends on how you tie it, I prefare not to wear one. Really the only half decent way is the way you see on muslim girls and women, but I'm not sure that is the fashion statement you are going for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They look great if you're driving along in an open top convertible with sunglasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

They look great if you're driving along in an open top convertible with sunglasses.
    very true!!!

Heads turn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

*plays music ending to cruel intentions* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

electric69 wrote:
    *plays music ending to cruel intentions* :D

She wasn't wearing a head scarf?

I was thinking more along the lines of Thelma and Louise.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The headscarves from Latent Curehead's link that are like bandanas look fine, but cancer is the first thing that comes into my head with the complete headscarves - that or a Missy Elliot wannabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I wore a bandana yesterday and people kept staring at me so I took it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I gave my head scarf a go yesterday just so see people's reactions as well, and I have to say the irish public don't see it as a fashion statement yet! I ended up talking it off afte an hour 'cos of the looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Such a narrow minded socitey! Where what you want when you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"I'm a celebrity get me out of here!" has pushed back the headscarves movement years in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nala wrote:
    I wore a bandana yesterday and people kept staring at me so I took it off.
    Its very Eastern European nouveau-retro these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, no no! Don't think "my mum in the 70s." Think mysterious, classy, elegant ice-queen. Think a young Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Sharon Stone or Catherine Deneuve.

A belted Mac, fine leather gloves, big movie-star sunglasses, high heels and top it off with a stunning silk headscarf. The 'Sloane Ranger' knotted under the chin scarf can look a little old-fashioned. Try the headwrap, where you drape a large triangle over your head, cross the ends under your chin and knot them at the back or side of your neck.

Then get haughty and just watch the reaction. It's easier to do this with strangers at first and then gradually introduce your Grace Kelly look to your nearest and dearest. I am always amused at how catty girlfriends can be with this - a whole "who do you think you are, Jackie Onassis?" thing.

To hell with the begrudgers. Have a look at http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/rodan657/ and see how young women wear this fabulous look.

Wait... You mean the kind of get-up an actress would use when they want to look intentionally unnatractive to avoid being noticed? Sorry, there's nothing fabulous about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

i wouldn't wear one personally but every person to themselves i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I think head scarves look pretty. Not many people wear them, so it looks unique .. like someone's own style. Just my opinion though. ;)

Advertisement