Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Mums -Just a thought....

Options
  • 01-07-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I've recently complete a course in Legal Studies and we briefly went through the Irish Constitution. One of the Articles in particular stood out and I can't understand why it hasn't been challenged (maybe it has)

It's article 40.2.2

"The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home."

We all hear the stories of working mothers who are commuting and working long hours not seeing their children just to pay the bills - surely they are protected by this article of the constitution.

Interesting.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It could be argued that thier husbands/partners should be providing for them
    or that if they are not co habiting there is the joys of tying to live off single parents alloances.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

It could also be argued that they do not need to work. The family could just accept a lower standard of living. Or that they do not need to own their own home that the county council will provide.

\Stands by for the flame\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

edengarden wrote:
    It's article 40.2.2

"The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home."
    Interesting.....
    Indeed. Typical misandristic sexist wording of the law :rolleyes:

I expect any challenge would centre around the legal definition of, or what constitutes, "economic necessity".
    I'm curious about these "duties in the home" - are they defined anywhere ;)

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Note the word 'endeavour' - so basically the State has to try to do this - it doesn't have to be effective or achieve the goal - just a bit of 'trying' will do.

But yes, it is incredibly sexist - what about house-husbands?

Advertisement