Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few karma questions ?

• 09-07-2001 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just a few things I wanted to know about karma on the boards.

Firstly, I got -2 Karma last night from a tag team mod combo of Devore and Shinji, I was well drunk (it being my 18'th), I stupidly (whilst absolutly sh!tfaced) posted some spam on about 3 threads in the CS Forum, and started a thread about beer.

Pretty stoopid of me, anyway sorry about that, Wont happen again.

The actual point I wanted to bring up with this thread is basically, Look at someone like WhiteLancer, he's on -10 (less ?) karma now because of one or two arguements with the mods ? His Karma rating is now gonna be totally fuxed now, and his reputation destroyed over one (fairly long) arguement.

Like, A person does one thing wrong now, and all the mods just seem to jump on them ? Is that true or am I just dreaming ?

I think its unfair that Mods are able to give or take karma in other forums, They moderate their forum, and not the one in which they are applying the karma to. I mean look at my karma now, whatsit -2 ? , Thats for one mistake I made last night, and now the joe soap who reads a post of mine on the boards is gonna go "he must be an as*hole".

Anyways, im not looking for a flame war in this thread, so i.e. anyone out there who doesnt like me, just dont reply tongue.gif

RentZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I reckon you have a good point

Don't know about your case but looking at the whitelancer one -10 for one argument seems a bit much, looking at a post towards the end if it wasn't for restrictions he would have been on -13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Actually I just spoke to Occy on irc, it turns out that WhiteLancer had gotten himself into about 8 arguements at once. So mabye im wrong, but I can see that it may cause problems in the future ?

I still think that the moderators should be restricted to giving karma in the particular forum in which they moderate only.

What do you guys think ? smile.gif

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I for one feel that WhiteLancer, on the balance of his behavior on several boards that evening got what he deserved- a rude and unforgiving wake-up call. He has made no attempt to apologize up to this point, and I doubt we'll see one. I think that his karma remaining where it is for a while will teach him to tread lightly for a bit, and be helpful rather than an abusive spammy troll.

Evil Phil had to lock FOUR threads in Webgames that evening before he set negative karma and posted on Admin. I saw Shinji warn WL- and set negative karma. Practically an instant later, he flamed Shinji. Now, if a moderator warns you and sets negative karma- you really haven't got any respect at all for the hard-working mods if you simply ignore him, flame him (calling him a fvcking racist b4stard pig along the way) and then post more abusive sh!t elsewhere. I set -1 karma for that on the CS boards- and later again, when he abused Mills, Shinji and I in the same thread to excess- after repeated warnings- I gave him the second karma point. Now if any of the other moderators set negative karma for the same reasons- and post here declaring that, I'd be happy to remove those karma settings I made- but for the amount of spammy and abusive behavior I think the mods acted with surprising restraint for waiting as long as they did to take action. WhiteLancer brought up ancient threads, quoting a single line of quid pro argumentation and making personal attacks on moderators. The arguments were specious, irrelevant and flamebaiting the mods blatantly.

For that behavior, he was treated with greater justice than he deserved, quite frankly.

And Renton m8: -2 Karma is hardly the end of the world, like smile.gif You'll earn it back in no time by being your usual helpful self (if of course you calm down an ikkle bit on boards biggrin.gif)

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Carpe Diem=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Using Whitelancer was a bad example but I think mods give or take karma on an individual post by post basis. I don't think any mod gives or takes karma if a post is valid regardless of the stance but rather award or subtract karma if the post is abusive, spammy or generally muppety etc etc...

.logic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok a few things:

1. Once any mod/admin gives you negative karma for a post NO OTHER MOD/ADMIN CAN GIVE YOU KARMA FOR THAT POST.

2. WL gave the admins/mods multiple opportunities to give him negative karma.

3. I've given you a point of Karma for apologising smile.gif

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

/me fluffles devore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

In general, mod's read and contribute to much more than their own boards - therefore they can be insulted or attacked by muppets (or witness another -non moderator- user being so attacked) in any board ... and so the moderators should be able to (- as they currently are able to) award positive or negative karma no matter what board they do it on...

- or at least that's what I think.

[Edit]: (Admin's can always dive in and fix it if the mod's fluck up... which should be a rare event!)

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 09-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

one thing, not realy related to the awarding/subraction of karma but more to the karma system itself:
    Why can't ordinary Joe Spuds like myself read their own karma comments? I know it may not be sutiable (or fair) to be allowed read other peoples comments; but how are you to find out why you were merited/demerited this valauble stuff if you can't read teh reasons cos sometimes you may miss a post (provided one exists) expalining why.
    Also, where did my +1 karma go? I haven't been a bad cabbage lately have I?

[This message has been edited by [FCA]SyxPak (edited 09-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    the moderators should be able to (- as they currently are able to) award positive or negative karma no matter what board they do it on...
    </font>

Surely a mod should be treated like a normal user when posting on a board that's not their own, i.e. let the local police handle things, not very Axl Foley I know but....

Obviously not what any of the mods seem to think and obviously not what DeVore (and the other admins) think so you can prob happily ignore this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

yeah, i know you get it in the email if you get bad karma, but what about good karma? How would you know what your getting rewarded for? WHO GAVE ME +1? i never found out, and its driving me nuts. Maybe you can get praise, aswell as warnings in the mail, then no-one else can see it...

yeah, i'm the ****ing energizer bunny...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheWolf:
    yeah, i know you get it in the email if you get bad karma, but what about good karma? How would you know what your getting rewarded for? WHO GAVE ME +1? i never found out, and its driving me nuts. Maybe you can get praise, aswell as warnings in the mail, then no-one else can see it...

</font>

Kharn gave you +1 for 'making good contributions to the Humour board'. It does seem odd that you don't get emailed for good as well as bad, but then as a moderator I'm above such trifling problems smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<snip>
    Castor beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 09-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I now invite all mods to give me negative Karma; I wish to reach the dizzy lows of Sh|telancer.

Do it do it.

Advertisement