Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win32 API question

Options
  • 01-07-2005 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Ok, so you know in Windows then you're logging out, the screen fades to grey.. I want to do that :)

I know it's possible because it happens when you're logging out. I'm thinking it's just setting the rgb value on the overall "parent window". Does anyone know if windows has an overall parent window? I'm not very familiar with Win32API programming, or Windows that much to be honest, which is why I am asking here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Windows doesnt have an overall parent window as such, but it does have a desktop window which all windows are attached to in one way or another. You could get that window and then enumerate all the attached child windows, applying the same graphic effect if so required.

to get the desktop window:

HWND getdesktopwindow(void);

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I think Windows takes a screenshot, displays this as the topmost window and then does the graphical manipulation on it....you can see this because during the greying no dynamic things (like the clock or email alerts etc.) update.

Merrion wrote:
    I think Windows takes a screenshot, displays this as the topmost window and then does the graphical manipulation on it....you can see this because during the greying no dynamic things (like the clock or email alerts etc.) update.
    this was much easier to do before windows 2000 / windows XP, with the new(sorta) system, you'll have a hard time geting the permissions to overlay all the windows, including games and topmost windows - its going to be extremely difficult, I personally have tried and failed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I always thought it was done by just palette cycling, a bit like the way it's done on the startup and shutdown logos. Could you take a screen shot and then maximise a window you have full control over - instead of having to take control of the others.

I always thought it was done by just palette cycling, a bit like the way it's done on the startup and shutdown logos. Could you take a screen shot and then maximise a window you have full control over - instead of having to take control of the others.
    yes, but like I said, you would need to set the windows' position as topmost or better or you'll find other windows supersceding yours.

I believe there is a form of window style which prevents all other windows becomming topmost, and is at all times above every other, but afaik its hard to implement and requires a good deal of knowlege. Your best chance is just setting the window as topmost and hoping another window doesnt set itself as topmost while your doing your 'effect'.

when in doubt, check msdn.microsoft.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement