Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Home OS

• 01-07-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

What are you running at home as your primary OS?

What are you running at home? 91 votes

Windows 95
    0%
    Windows 98
    0%
    Windows 2000 Pro
    4%
    KapparJohnKLeperKingFr0g 4 votes
    Windows 2000 Server
    13%
    D-Generatethe_sycotimeouthostyleFrank GrimesChad ghostalSouperComputerJohnKFr0gDemonOfTheFallspartacus93Shane O' Malley 12 votes
    Windows XP Pro
    1%
    Downtime 1 vote
    Windows XP Home
    47%
    D-GeneratedahamstaCond0rbyte_Kaiser_DunDasilva94seamusbeer enigmakaimeramoridintmanChad ghostalRobertFostertechjor elhamsterJohnKWebmonkeyMac daddy 43 votes
    Windows XP Media Edition
    19%
    LumpKappartmanGuy:IncognitoangelofdeathzorowidebandgubbyNotMeDemonOfTheFallspartacus93mik_da_manShane O' Malleygodtabhodierancheroszippo22dogg_r_69 18 votes
    Windows Longhorn
    1%
    PowerHouseDan 1 vote
    Unix
    0%
    Other
    13%
    DunhostyleChad ghostalMac daddyweszoroFr0gNotMesnappieTspartacus93de8orancheros 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Windows XP Home
    ummm, where's Ubuntu, Mandrake, Fedora, or even just Linux. And no sign of good old Atari Jaguar ;)

atarijaguar.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Windows Longhorn? Your computer from the future of something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Windows XP Home
    Longhorn Preview Builds 4015,4051,4074..etc

Speaking of longhorn there was talk of MS releasing a beta around this time...nothing happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

juliuspret wrote:

Speaking of longhorn there was talk of MS releasing a beta around this time...nothing happened yet.
    None of which are public (officially), and certainly none of which would be in any working order for day to day use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You missed Linux. I'd say very, very few people are running any UNIX at home. Also, what about QNX?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Windows 2000 Server
    juliuspret wrote:

Ran 4074 a while back. Quite an old one, actually Since it came out before XP, when XP came out, thats what I thought of. 53 is meant to have done its rounds since then, along with a few others. I'd say its the only MS OS that has spent a few years been produced, tbh, so it may be good when its released.

=-=

Use Win2K at the mo, on my main PC, and 2 laptops (they're old but it runs smoother than Win98 on them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Windows 2000 Server
    2k on primary, XP home on secandary and messing about with linux on the third, but homing to upgrade to 2 XP Pro and a linux server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Windows XP Home
    xp_Pro on both machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Funny list - you have every strain of winblows and then UNIX????
    This is like saying what do you drive
    merc
    bmw
    audi
    lorry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: flavours of *nix

In fairness it is a Widows forum, and there is a limit to the number of choices in the poll. Maybe I could include Windows 3.1 /3.11/3.5 /3.51 / Dos 6.0/6.2/6.21/6.22 or the ~6 flavours of either 95 or 98 on a poll on the Unix Forum sometime :D

• Advertisement

RE: flavours of *nix

In fairness it is a Widows forum, and there is a limit to the number of choices in the poll. Maybe I could include Windows 3.1 /3.11/3.5 /3.51 / Dos 6.0/6.2/6.21/6.22 or the ~6 flavours of either 95 or 98 on a poll on the Unix Forum sometime :D

The major home unixy thing, tho (Linux) is NOT a UNIX.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rsynnott wrote:
    The major home unixy thing, tho (Linux) is NOT a UNIX.
    Maybe if you ask nicely they could rename the Unix forum to Unix/Linux and then move all the Apple OSX threads there too. ;)
    From a windows view point it's like trying to explain the differences between different largers to someone who has only tasted alco-pop.

www.linux.org
    Linux is a free Unix-type operating system
    http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2005/06/24/432386.aspx (Start - RUN - C:/ works on NT4 / 2K / XP and 2K3 !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Windows XP Home
    omg, where's beos and os2?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Windows XP Home
    and DR-DOS :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Windows XP Home
    I currently run Windows XP Pro with SP2, though I found Windows 2000 Professional to be more stable. Considering reverting back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Currently:

Laptop: Ubuntu Linux 5.04 PPC, OS X 10.4.1, dualboot
    Desktop: Gentoo Linux 2005.a x86, Windows 2000 SP4, dualboot

Each has its uses, hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Windows XP Home
    Why in the name of jebus are some people still running Windows 98!
    What would possess you to do such a thing.. 2000 I can understand, seeing as it's (reasonably) stable, but 98, no thank you sir :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Windows XP Home
    Dont knock Win98 if you have a slow comp.
    Lite98+Win98 cuts out all the crap and give a very stable O.S.

IMHO Win2000 is the most stable O.S. I have ever used...when you get in trouble....unlike WinXP, ALT-CTRL-DEL in Win2000 goes to Task Manager without delay.

Hmm, okay then:
    Desktop: Mandrake Linux 10.2, Solaris 10
    Laptop: Mandrake Linux 10.1, Win2k
    Server (in another country; rented): Debian something-or-other
    Work: Fedora Core 4, WinXP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Other
    Home:
    - (laptop) Ubuntu / W2k
    - (fileserver) Ubuntu
    - (main machine) W2k
    - (apple machine) OS X
    - (spare machine) currently MEPIS / Win98

Work:
    - WinXP

What do I win?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

Windows XP Home
    Win XP Pro -- Heavily tweaked

juliuspret wrote:
    Dont knock Win98 if you have a slow comp.
    Lite98+Win98 cuts out all the crap and give a very stable O.S.

IMHO Win2000 is the most stable O.S. I have ever used...when you get in trouble....unlike WinXP, ALT-CTRL-DEL in Win2000 goes to Task Manager without delay.
    Don't forget to use CFGBACK and ERU to save your settings. Just have to say with 98Lite the desktop flies along in the same way that XP doesn't - none of those 20 second timeouts every 5 minutes.

If you have a second partition you can use the DOS utility LCOPY to rebuild it even if all you can do is boot up in safe mode command prompt only.

Advertisement