Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored of WoW??

Options
  • 01-07-2005 8:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone else if finding it a bit boring? i started about a month ago, and have enjoyed it alot. i have a lvl42 pally, and a 28 warlock, but now it just seems like such an effort to get the next 110k xp to lvl up. instances can be good, but lately, the groups either split up or hate each other half way through.

dunno if i'll stick with it, and im even considering re-activating my eve account, which i stopped playing because of WoW.

anyone have any suggestions of a non-lvl grinding MMO? (other the eve)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ive started so many characters at this stage its gone beyond boring for me but im gonna stick with it, ive decided to stop creating characters and im gonna level just 1 and thats my warrior

Purely and simply everyone is talking molten core and onyxia, and i want to see that bugger before i wave bye bye off this mortal coil

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Kiith wrote:
    just wondering if anyone else if finding it a bit boring? i started about a month ago, and have enjoyed it alot. i have a lvl42 pally, and a 28 warlock, but now it just seems like such an effort to get the next 110k xp to lvl up. instances can be good, but lately, the groups either split up or hate each other half way through.

In my experience it only gets boring after you reach lvl60. Up to that point the game has goals and advancement that i just couldnt ignore. Everything post lvl 60 is simply about one thing - equipment. By the sounds of things your not in a large guild so i'd say to you to try and get involved in a large guild (or a small one full of people you know and like) because if your unguilded, the game past 60 is dire.
    anyone have any suggestions of a non-lvl grinding MMO? (other the eve)

Is there one? (genuine question, WoW is my first mmo and it seems very similar to the MUDs i played so i assumed all mmos were about grinding to a certain degree)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Two things:
    1. You should get a good fun guild so that its fun regardless what you are doing. My guild is great that way, very helpful too...

2. In general I think rolling new characters is a bad idea for longevity, stick with 1-2 mains and pump time into them. restarting all the time means re-doing the same stuff often.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Leveling is part and parcel of mmorpgs, but as an alternative to eve you could take a look at planetside which doesnt have quite the same leveling.
    There are also player run shards for ultima online, and persistent worlds for Neverwinter Nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I got bored of it for a while, didn't play for about 6 weeks, only have one character (lvl 35). V. casual gamer. Started playing again now, the break did me good, after camping him in an inn for 6 weeks the bonus exp I get is great, couldn't face the grind without it. :)

I find it hard to justify playing it a lot with so many other things to do, thankfully I don't play anything else either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Some stages are a bit boring. but stick with it. I find that the late stages of any bunch of levels e.g. 38-39, 48-49, 58,59 are hard sloggs and boreing. This is because it seems that most of the quests that you have a red, or elite.. and cant be soloed.. and you are too low a level for the next instance.. E.g. ZF at level 48 can be hard.. while ST is almost impossible. get your self to 50 and you will find ZF and ST very easy, fun and theres loads of quests for lots of XP..

Sorry if im rambeling on a bit.. but the low level 50's are easy aswell theres a chain of quests in Azshara that will net ya about 60kxp in 1-2 hrs that are easy to solo at 50, and a chain of quests in Unguro that are level 53 but very easy to complete at 50 once ya have your mount.

Dont be afraid to ask some level 60's for help as there sometimes bored and will help for the laugh.

And remember... stick with one character..
    Find a group around your level if your not in a guild and add them to friends. Group with them often if there not nobs and more often than not ye will stick together to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Join a big guild, do instances, do quests for XP and less grinding.

It does get boring though. The only thing I do atm is MC and even that is boring now :(
    There just isn't that much to do after 60 when you have decent gear and you're sick of running the same instances again and again, except for PVP (and I really don't like PVP in BG, really doesn't do it for me).

On another note.. myself and two other boards.ie users are about to start new characters on Al'Akir.. we all have 60 mains on Al'Akir allready (Or just about... 60,58, 56 ).

We will we going, Warrior, priest and Druid.. if anyone wants to start again.. Horde of course.. no time for poncy alliance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

For me the game got a whole lot better after reaching lvl60, but I put that down to the guild I am in. We're not a massive guild, but are mostly populated by lvl60's or at least 50+ which means I pretty much do an instance every night I log on, then usually a raid at the weekends. Aswell as having a decent game of Battlegrounds (theres nothing I hate more than a pickup group in WG....my hate for paly's is of course a given).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

As the other guys said get yourself in a decent guild and quest with other people. It allows you to complete quests that you would have to attempt at higher lvls if solo'ing, it's more fun, it reduces chances of being horribly ganked.

Also don't be afraid to throw in a 'LFG....' if you need help (for normal quests as well as instances) also keep an eye out for 'LFM's' for quests you have.

My main tip though would be to run that Paladin off The Great Lift, watching them die is never boring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

What's everyone got against Pallys?

I have a lvl 22 one, extremely casual gamer. It's kinda getting boring. I wish I had picked a rogue or hunter.....

As Chavster say's.. Watching a Pally die is never boring. Nuke Nuke Nuke.. Shield. Heal.. Nuke Nuke Nuke.. Shield Heal..Nuke Nuke..etc.. if your lucky you can kill them before they Shield and Hearthstone away.

BizzyC wrote:
    What's everyone got against Pallys?

Horde dont like them because theyre 'too hard' to kill, even though they are the proven worst pvp class in the game.

Brace yourself for the whine of the century when pallys eventually get buffed (and they will). The same people who brought you "Alliance are crap in battlegrounds because they just zerg" and "Horde racials dont really make much difference in pvp" (look at the races of the honour contest winners) will be foaming at the mouth at the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

Dustaz wrote:
    Horde dont like them because theyre 'too hard' to kill, even though they are the proven worst pvp class in the game.

And that i think just about hits the nail on the head. Nothing that rubbish should take so long to die

Dustaz wrote:

Brace yourself for the whine of the century when pallys eventually get buffed (and they will). The same people who brought you "Alliance are crap in battlegrounds because they just zerg" and "Horde racials dont really make much difference in pvp" (look at the races of the honour contest winners) will be foaming at the mouth at the change.
    Personally I agree with the Alliance being crap in BG, well in WG anyway. I've only lost in WG twice and those two times they were by teams I know were organised and well put together. Alliance I admire if you will. I only have experience on Teranes though where the Alliance outnumber Horde 3 : 1 afaik.

I disagree somewhat about the racial thing. I'm Undead and the only thing which is really that useful is WOF, which anyone can get anyway with the trinket. +10 Shadow Resist can be useful if you have some more resist gear on but otherwise isn't great. Tauren warstomp is very effective though. Not sure about the Troll or Orc traits.

I disagree somewhat about the racial thing. I'm Undead and the only thing which is really that useful is WOF, which anyone can get anyway with the trinket. +10 Shadow Resist can be useful if you have some more resist gear on but otherwise isn't great. Tauren warstomp is very effective though. Not sure about the Troll or Orc traits.

Its only really wotf and warstomp that i was talking about, they are the racials that count in pvp. Shadowmeld and hardiness are also good, but they dont amount to an iwin button against certain classes.

As an undead rogue, you should never lose against any alliance warlock or priest. Ever. Regardless of skill.

Dustaz wrote:
    Its only really wotf and warstomp that i was talking about, they are the racials that count in pvp. Shadowmeld and hardiness are also good, but they dont amount to an iwin button against certain classes.

As an undead rogue, you should never lose against any alliance warlock or priest. Ever. Regardless of skill.
    Heh, took on a lvl55 priest the other day. Crit ambush and 2 crit Backstabs and she was dead.

Felt a bit ashamed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

We dont like them because they come running into our lines, aoe sum and then run away without even coming close to dying. Its just annoying as your completly helpless.

When they buff pally's they better remember to remove their shields effectiveness. Id much prefer a pally with higher dps and less shields.

Shadow priests are quite good against rogues in duels. If you get the drop on em/us obviously chances are you'll win but same goes the other way. Shadow priests are very strong in pvp. Holy priests arent so much and are geared more towards PvE.

A shadow priest beat all comers in the draenor duel tournament. Beat a rogue in the final 2-1 in rounds and walked away with 125g.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I quit eve 3 weeks ago. I personally think that it has gone seriously downhill in comparison to when i started in June '03.

I really think the pvp in eve is miles ahead of WoW but WoW is also more solo friendly (which is a nice change tbh). I personally wouldnt get back into eve because of all the new (and frankly unexciting) changes they are making which only make it harder for people to get back into it/start a new character.

I dont really have much experience in mmo's besides eve and WoW but i do know that they get boring regardless and the trick is to pace yourself...some morning you wake up thinking "ooo i want to fire torps at a hauler" and some days you wake up thinking "im going to pod myself"....

maybe you could take a break from the whole lot for 2 or 3 weeks and then see how you feel...just a suggestion...

B-K-DzR wrote:
    We dont like them because they come running into our lines, aoe sum and then run away without even coming close to dying. Its just annoying as your completly helpless.

The point is, they dont come close to killing anyone. Its not like consecration is anywhere near the amount of damage as a mage or lock can do aoe.
    Shadow priests are quite good against rogues in duels. If you get the drop on em/us obviously chances are you'll win but same goes the other way. Shadow priests are very strong in pvp. Holy priests arent so much and are geared more towards PvE.

Horde shadow priests are a lot stronger than alliance shadow priests due to DP which more or less doubles their DOT dps output. As a result they can do a fair amount of damage to a rogue if they get the jump on him. They still shouldnt have a chance if they dont know an UD rogue is coming though (gj to that priest:) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

****ing rogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Like said before, WoW is an amazing game to level in, one of the best, if not the best levelling systems ever made, however, at level 60 things get awful, the PvP is awful and most serious players spend their time doing Molten Core,
    the fact is that most players were promised a really good PvP experience at level 60 and all we got was a poor ranking system and useless "battlegrounds" which you need to spend months farming dungeons to do anything in.
    It sucks balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I gave away my account today, to a friend.

The end game is just terrible, seriously.

Up until level 60, the game is great, you're going all over, doing things, levelling. Progressing.

After 60, you hit a wall and a massive turnaround in the game. Battlegrounds, instances, outdoor raids, you all need huge groups.

Battlegrounds were to PvP servers as player housing were to older MMOGs. They removed all the players from the game world, post-60. Grand, it made for easier alt levelling, but bleh, after that, there was, and is, piss-all PvP.

Much as I hated seeing Horde guilds camping a spot, as it was more about them being assholes than anything else, you could always get people together to help drive them out. Since Battlegrounds were released, its like several guilds were removed from the game entirely. On my server, Arthas, PRX, TBW, Aurora, Ret and others more or less dissapeared outside of BGs/MC. That sucks.

I hate instances with a passion. I did 49 UBRS runs before I gave up on the dungeon. Besides which, as a Warlock, I had feck all to contribute. My nukes were too slow, compared to how fast mobs died, and my DoTs didn't do much damage before it died. I'm sure other locks have felt the same.

Besides that, you've the likes of Blackwing Lair and Molten Core. You can forget about going next to near them unless you've a big guild of dedicated players who have military organization.

In Asheron's Call, you could do pretty much anything in the game with a few friends, although the more the merrier, as they say. This allowed even small guilds and casual players to keep up and contribute. Even EQ, AO and DAoC made allowances for small groups at the top end (correct me if I'm wrong on DAoC). In WoW, there's 5-man, Dire Maul, Scholomance and Stratholme runs, that's about it. Molten Core, Onyxia, Blackwing Lair and I don't doubt future end-game areas will all require mandatory 40-man groups.

I stopped trying for MC loot a while back, as due to timezone differences, I don't go there enough to have points to roll. I could always move to a Euro server, but I honestly don't care enough about the game to do it all again (two epic mounts, two level 60's, etc, etc).

Anyways, I've decided to go back to AC1 for a bit after the xpack is released, to see how it works out.

And that's me all ranted out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Well if you do decide to go back to wow again, there is a big crowd on the Euro server; Bladefist.

Much easier to get instance groups, help driving out assholes or BG groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Ivan wrote:
    Well if you do decide to go back to wow again, there is a big crowd on the Euro server; Bladefist.

Much easier to get instance groups, help driving out assholes or BG groups.

There's also the fact that I can't afford game CDs, hehe. I'm putting money aside for dental work and a trip to the US next year, not to mention a three day piss-up in London at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

up to last week i found the team play lacking in the game .

then aggybear came along and we started leveling together + i know acutually am starting to realise who is who in the game so im not as lost

if ur constantly running around on ur own then i do think its as boring as watching paint dry ( just normal paint not that paint with the big dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Well i've quested with you a few times kiith and i'm sorry to hear you don't like it. I think the game is great, can't get enough of it. Like it as a single player game (the soloing side to it) and as a multiplayer game( instances ,PvP). I like the whole making money in AH thing, exploring new areas, trade skills, getting new gear and stuff, all of that.

One thing that can make it a lot more fun is if you have a few mates who play it and around your level and can quest with you. Also having a ventrillo channel or other voice comm program to communicate with is very handy and allows you to be much more organised and again adds to the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I played non stop for ages there, but tbh since i hit around lvl 36 ive been really struggling for quests around my level. Everything is either red or grey, and ive kinda given up. Also the quests themselves do tend to get a bit boring, theyre basically all go to point a, kill creature, return to point b. Ive not given up on it, as i really do love the game, i think i just need a break, and BF2 is all the break i need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Eh? I'm lvl 38 and I have to keep emptying my quest log to fit more...

Maybe you're not travelling round enough? Are you sure you have visited all places that have quests for your level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

It can get dull - but mainly by overplaying it - I find if you take a few days off your interest is refreshed when you come back - I'm worried that there are not many new players, ad that selling anything at auction unless its a blue item is pointless - although trade goods have a constant if low priced customer base. I spent a huge amount of time in the AH but ahve given that up a bit now as I wasnt questing so much.

Big advantage is having a guild - Im GM of a guild on Bloodhoof with about 70 members - very friendly guild, higher levels helping lower levels, guild banking system for armour weapons reagents etc... the social part of it is fun. We raid on sundays which is always a laugh too.

I'm level 54 now - I imagine after a few months at level 60 I'll either stop playing or start a new character?

Gillibran

Advertisement