Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Team

• 01-07-2005 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Which Premiership team would you like to see do the best this season besides the top teams eg. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Wouldnt it be great if wigan won it..
    Come on WIGAN!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why aren't Everton in the top teams, but if they aren't in those, I'd like to see Everton.

Besides that, I'd like to see Bolton do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ya for some reason it would be Bolton for me and West Ham

PS i meant to put Everton in as top clubs sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Bolton ya that would be great even if they got a champs league place

• Advertisement

Good auld Sam deserves something. Great manager he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

it would have to be bolton,sams done a great job with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I would like a team that plays football to do well rather than teams that play rugby.

Bolton dont play rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well they sure as hell don't play football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Villa ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Which Premiership team would you like to see do the best this season besides the top teams eg. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool

Folks, there's four big clubs and scuba's missed none of them.

I notice nobody's mentioned Newcastle, a far bigger club than Everton, certainly based on the last ten years performances on and off the pitch.

He didn't say big teams, he said top teams, top being the top of the prem league, and Everton came fourth.
    Newcastle came 14th last year if I'm not mistaken.

PHB wrote:
    He didn't say big teams, he said top teams, top being the top of the prem league, and Everton came fourth.
    Newcastle came 14th last year if I'm not mistaken.

You know what he meant.

Nope not really.
    In terms of fan base? Newcastle are bigger than Arsenal in that case.
    Chelsea are tiny then, with Spurs having a bigger support base etc.
    Leeds is also a huge club aswell.

But thats not how we judge teams is it?
    He meant the best teams, and everyone forgets about Everton cause they like to.

PHB wrote:

But thats not how we judge teams is it?
    He meant the best teams, and everyone forgets about Everton cause they like to.

Everyone forgets about Everton cos one swallow does not a summer make.

FFS, I'm a Spurs fan and can accept that we're second rate compared to the real "best" teams. And the original four are as good as it gets.

After those four, you can take your pick from:

Everton
    Boro
    Bolton
    Spurs
    Barcodes
    Villa

All interchangable IMO. None will finish top four.

It wasn't one match that made Everton, it was 38 games, and they were solid throughout the season.
    They have only improved their squad this year, especially with the rumoured Saha on loan deal which would net another 15 goals a season.
    Everton are going to be up there in the top 4 next season, fighting with Liverpool again for fourth place.

p.s. People forget how big a team Everton are, with quite a few championships under their belt in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

PHB wrote:
    It wasn't one match that made Everton, it was 38 games, and they were solid throughout the season.
    They have only improved their squad this year, especially with the rumoured Saha on loan deal which would net another 15 goals a season.
    Everton are going to be up there in the top 4 next season, fighting with Liverpool again for fourth place.

p.s. People forget how big a team Everton are, with quite a few championships under their belt in the past

not sure if you're doing this deliberately. The intention was to guage, other than the clubs typically touted every season as unassailable top 4, who would you like to see doing well.

So everton would have been that team last year. As they had not been expected to that well. Everton == Ipswich potentially. They're still outsiders for top 4 next season IMO. Are they then the team you'd like to see doing well?

I'd like to see McCarthy continue to confound his sacking as Ireland Manager.

PHB wrote:

I didn't mean one match, I meant one season.

P W D L F A GD Pts
    1 Chelsea 38 29 8 1 72 15 57 95
    2 Arsenal 38 25 8 5 87 36 51 83
    3 Man Utd 38 22 11 5 58 26 32 77
    4 Everton 38 18 7 13 45 46 -1 61
    5 Liverpool 38 17 7 14 52 41 11 58
    6 Bolton 38 16 10 12 49 44 5 58
    7 Boro 38 14 13 11 53 46 7 55
    8 Man City 38 13 13 12 47 39 8 52
    9 Tottenham 38 14 10 14 47 41 6 52
    10 Aston Villa 38 12 11 15 45 52 -7 47
    11 Charlton 38 12 10 16 42 58 -16 46

You've to go to 11th place to find a team who socred less goals than them, and 10th to find a team that conceeded more.

This time last year people reckoned Everton were contenders for relegation. So why has one season changed them from relegation contenders to CL contenders?

I'm not trying to undermine them, or deny that last season's 4th place was a terrific performance by both team and manager, but I am trying to be objective here. I'd endorse the opinions of uberwolf above.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

One season changed Chelsea from administration certainties to cash-coughing unbeatables (in the public eye, if not on the pitch). There's talk of world domination on the back of one decent year.

• Advertisement

Exactly.
    One decent year is all it takes.
    Everton has gelled, completly and utterly as a team from the beginning of last season.
    They maintained their forth place spot even without their best player, losing him at Christmas. It woul dbe similar to Man United losing Van Nist, Arsenal Henry, Chelsea Makelele, or Liverpool Gerrard.
    It is a huge huge loss to the team, but the team survived.
    The players themselves aren't great but they have a winning mentality and are able to grind out results, something that only three other teams in the league were able to do besides them.

They are being and going to be furthered reinforced over the summer.
    They will match their point tally next season I think, if not further it.
    Liverpool will have to raise their game against the Palaces of the world to take it off them and they havn't shown anythign or signed anyone so far which makes me believe they can do it.

You can't not consider Everton in this 'top teams' bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

I'd like to see Wigan stay up, just because they are such minnows.

Bolton, because of what Big Sam has managed on such limited resources.

And West Ham, usually a good footballing team.

Makelele wouldnt be Chelseas player Id think it would be Terry or Lampard

PHB wrote:
    Exactly.
    One decent year is all it takes.

Exactly.

Ipswich finish 5th

Ipswich finish 18th
    PHB wrote:
    You can't not consider Everton in this 'top teams' bracket.

Tell me again, where are Ipswich these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I agree with TRO. I can't see Everton finishing anything near 4th next season. Liverpool, Newcastle and Spurs should definitely finish higher.

First off the fact you leave out Bolton of the teams who will apparently finish higher than Everton is very funny.

Secondly, Everton should get into the group stages of the CL, Newcsatle ****ed it up one year but Everton should be ok.
    Everton are reinforcing their squad, they have the ability to grind out results against ****e teams, and they are only going to get better.
    What makes you think they won't do as well next year?

PHB wrote:

Not directed at me (I think) but I'll answer anyway.

Firstly, I dodn't think they won't do well. I just don't expect them to challenge the "top" four.

Here's the Everton first team squad:

http://www.evertonfc.com/players/firstteam/index.php?page_id=103

That's:

4 GKs
    5 Defenders
    6 Midfielders
    5 Forwards

Not strong enough for a full season. I know they're "linked" with plenty of players, but they still need at least 3 quality players to match last season's performance. All their competitors for the top 6 have/will have strengthened (just look at the Barcodes)

Performance-wise, Everton don't score enough, and they conceed to many. They had the worst goal-scoring record and worst defence in the top 9. They were the only team to end the season in the top 9 with a negative goal difference.

Yes they have fantastic spirit, and a great work ethic. But that won't be enough this year. Teams will adapt to Everton's style of play, and seeing as they are tactically very one-dimensional they will not be able to change mid match to counter this (certainly without another 3 additions to the first XI). Incidently, this assessment applies to Big Fat Sam's lot as well.

Performance-wise, Everton don't score enough, and they conceed to many. They had the worst goal-scoring record and worst defence in the top 9. They were the only team to end the season in the top 9 with a negative goal difference.

Entirly due to one match against Arsenal, after they had already secured 4th spot.
    Teams will adapt to Everton's style of play, and seeing as they are tactically very one-dimensional they will not be able to change mid match to counter this

They werent able to this year, and they got by with their one dimensional approach

PHB wrote:

They werent able to this year, and they got by with their one dimensional approach

Grand so, it'll be 4-5-1 again this year and they'll win the quadruple... :rolleyes:

Every team needs to change the way they play football. It doesn't need to be drastic, but any team which continues to play the same way week in, week out will eventually be found out. Its called being predictable.
    PHB wrote:
    Entirly due to one match against Arsenal, after they had already secured 4th spot.

So a 7-0 defeat to Arsenal explains their lack of goals how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    First off the fact you leave out Bolton of the teams who will apparently finish higher than Everton is very funny.
    Because they are also a one dimensional team that probably over-avhieved last year. Im sure Sams target next year is 40 points, and then a good cup run, anything else will just be a bonus.

Both Everton and Bolton will compete in Europe next year for the first time in years. Both will be trying to impress in these games, and it could well have a detrimental affect their league form. I mean if Chelsea are complaining that they have it tough after European games, Id hate to see how Everton or Bolton feel (although they are both probably just delighted to be there).
    PHB wrote:
    Secondly, Everton should get into the group stages of the CL, Newcsatle ****ed it up one year but Everton should be ok.
    It is impossible to make this call until the draw is made. Newcastle screwed it up and they were a seeded team, Everton are unseeded and will have in all likelyhood an even harder task.
    PHB wrote:
    Everton are reinforcing their squad, they have the ability to grind out results against ****e teams, and they are only going to get better.
    Everton have signed two (?) players. Stubbs, Watson, and Pistone are all going to be released.

Stubbs and Pistone started most games last year as far as I remember. Players cannot just come in and expect the defensive unit to play with the same coherency.

Everton could do well next year, but I think other teams will make the step up. Its one thing finishing a place in the league, its another thing retaining or improving on that position, as Arsenal have found out in recent years. Everton will not be the unknown underdogs next year.

Other teams make the step up, and in this scenario Im particularly point at Liverpool. Europe will now be a side issue for RB, hes conquered that. He came to Liverpool to win the league, this campaign will start next season. They only finished three points behind Everton last year, if one of their nine 1-0 defeats went the other way they would have finished ahead of them, thats how tight it was. The quality, quantity and calibre of player that Liverpool are bringing in is higher than that of Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

PHB wrote:

how you consostantly put forward such things as 'argueguments' on a daily basis on this forum astounds me.

you know less about football, than my brother knows about sub atom,ic particles.
    and thats not much to be fair...

outside of the premiers top 4 teams, i would expect newcastle, spurs, bolton and boro to be up there.

i think charlton will have a steep decline. i think west ham and wigan will go back down.

i have absolutely no idea how it will all pan out, but i hope the spurs qualify for CL place next year. id be happy with a uefa spot, and consistant high quality of play.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Stubbs and Pistone started most games last year as far as I remember. Players cannot just come in and expect the defensive unit to play with the
    Other teams make the step up, and in this scenario Im particularly point at Liverpool. Europe will now be a side issue for RB, hes conquered that. He came to Liverpool to win the league, this campaign will start next season. They only finished three points behind Everton last year, if one of their nine 1-0 defeats went the other way they would have finished ahead of them, thats how tight it was. The quality, quantity and calibre of player that Liverpool are bringing in is higher than that of Everton.

First off the quality, quantity and calibre of player that Liverpool possessed last year was higher than that of Everton and it made f**k all difference last year so what makes you so sure it will make a difference this year?

Liverpool have just won the champions league and look at the slightly above average players they have signed. None of those players are worth getting excited about absolutely none of them. What a complete waste by Benitez. He should be using the fact that Liverpool are european champions to try and attract some big guns to anfield. So far he has failed miserably. Throw in the likely departure of Gerrard and I dont see where all your confidence is coming from. Liverpool are going to do the exact same next year - be in a fight with a bunch of clubs for the fourth spot and be miles behind the other teams because they just dont have it. I dont care what they did in Europe its a totally different style of football. In the premiership they just dont have it.

No dont get me wrong im not saying Everton will finish ahead of them I dont know but I certainly wouldnt put it past them. they have already signed a decent centre back. oh and by the way the fact that they finished with a minus goal difference also meant f**k all as they still finished fourth. Stop trying to pick out little things that dont mean anything. You can finish with one of the worst gola differences in the league and still finish fourth. It doesnt mean anything obviously.

As for Newcastle they will do nothing next year. They have two recognised strikers in Shearer who is past it and chopra who is not good enough for PL level. They have average players in midfield with the likes of the tremendously over-rated Nicky Butt in there and a very poor quality of winger. Definite midtable team struggling towards the bottom UEFA cup spot if they are lucky.

If anyone is going to be a surprise package next year it will be spurs. they are building a very good squad of young players who will only get better and I can see them getting a UEFA cup spot next year. There signings have been very good over the past season and all they need is a top quality center back and they could be a really good side next year.

But still the team I wanna see do well is Bolton. I think big Sam is a terrific manager and for those people who moan about Boltons style of play abviously know nothing about footballing tactics. Football is not about entertaining the masses its about winning games which Bolton have done with absolutelly no money to spend. I would love for them to repeat this seasons success and can see no reason why they wont. Fiar play to Sam for playing the way he does and bringing Bolton to heights they never thought possible. Long may it continue.

I think it will be a battle between Liverpool, Everton and Spurs for 4th spot and I have no idea who will get it. Will just have to see who signs who within the rest of the transfer window. Its not fair that Liverpool fans expect their team to challenge the top 3 in the premiership. they say it every year but the fact is they just arent good enough and if they get fourth it will be a very successful season for them. they are built up way too much and i feel for the players who are expected to do so well when they just arent good enough. But if they can keep Gerrard and bring in one "top" signing I think they might nick fourth spot. Just dont expect them to challenge the top 3 because it simply isnt gonna happen with the signings they are bringing in. Such a good chance to sign big players wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Kingp35 wrote:
    First off the quality, quantity and calibre of player that Liverpool possessed last year was higher than that of Everton and it made f**k all difference last year so what makes you so sure it will make a difference this year?
    First off, because mainly of those players the missed Cisse (7 months), Alonso (4 months), and Gerrard (3 months). But also because of injuries amongst other squad players who came in to deputise for those players.

Liverpool have also signed more players so far, of a better quality, and let no first team players go (as of yet).
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Liverpool have just won the champions league and look at the slightly above average players they have signed. None of those players are worth getting excited about absolutely none of them. What a complete waste by Benitez. He should be using the fact that Liverpool are european champions to try and attract some big guns to anfield. So far he has failed miserably. Throw in the likely departure of Gerrard and I dont see where all your confidence is coming from. Liverpool are going to do the exact same next year - be in a fight with a bunch of clubs for the fourth spot and be miles behind the other teams because they just dont have it. I dont care what they did in Europe its a totally different style of football. In the premiership they just dont have it.
    Just to let you know Kingp35, its July 5th. The season doesnt start for another six weeks. Plenty of time to "attract some big guns". In fact I suggest we revisit this in even two weeks and see has any progress been made on said "big guns".

Liverpool already had a reported £25-30M to spend. They've got four players at the expense of £5M of that. "Throw in the likely departure of Gerrard" and we are up to £50M+. Do you see where my confidence is coming now?

Benetiz will concrentrate on the league because he has conquered Europe. He was brought in to win the league and he will not have distractions like last year.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    No dont get me wrong im not saying Everton will finish ahead of them I dont know but I certainly wouldnt put it past them. they have already signed a decent centre back. oh and by the way the fact that they finished with a minus goal difference also meant f**k all as they still finished fourth. Stop trying to pick out little things that dont mean anything. You can finish with one of the worst gola differences in the league and still finish fourth. It doesnt mean anything obviously.
    Where did I say anything about minus goal difference?
    Kingp35 wrote:
    As for Newcastle they will do nothing next year. They have two recognised strikers in Shearer who is past it and chopra who is not good enough for PL level. They have average players in midfield with the likes of the tremendously over-rated Nicky Butt in there and a very poor quality of winger. Definite midtable team struggling towards the bottom UEFA cup spot if they are lucky.
    Where did I say anything about Newcastle?
    Kingp35 wrote:
    If anyone is going to be a surprise package next year it will be spurs. they are building a very good squad of young players who will only get better and I can see them getting a UEFA cup spot next year. There signings have been very good over the past season and all they need is a top quality center back and they could be a really good side next year.
    I agree that Spurs should improve next year.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I think it will be a battle between Liverpool, Everton and Spurs for 4th spot and I have no idea who will get it. Will just have to see who signs who within the rest of the transfer window.
    Yes lets. Instead of rating Benetiz's Summer signings half way through the Summer lets wait until August 13th.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Its not fair that Liverpool fans expect their team to challenge the top 3 in the premiership. they say it every year but the fact is they just arent good enough and if they get fourth it will be a very successful season for them. they are built up way too much and i feel for the players who are expected to do so well when they just arent good enough. But if they can keep Gerrard and bring in one "top" signing I think they might nick fourth spot. Just dont expect them to challenge the top 3 because it simply isnt gonna happen with the signings they are bringing in. Such a good chance to sign big players wasted.
    You said in your paragraph above "wait until we see who they sign" and here again you go on with you verbal diarrhoea claiming they have "wasted" their "chance to sign big players". Make up your mind will you.

I also dont think its "not fair" for Liverpool fans to think they can finish top three. They have done so in two of the past five years. They have proven last year that they can compete with the best. They have made as impressive signings as any of the clubs above them in the league so far ( ;) )this Summer. They have more money to spend than any of their rivals bar Chelsea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Alot of those above statements werent just directed at you jivin they were general statements to what other people have said so far in this thread. Sorry if you thught they were all directed at you.

I dont think Liverpools signings so far have improved the team much bar Reina. The others are nothing special and would probably be on a level with whatever players the other 4th place contenders have. I was saying that they could "attract some big guns" but so far havent and so far Rafa has messed it up with his signings. They have bee really disappointing for newly crowned champions league winners. That said I dont think Liverpool will be able to attract the big guns. Most players will know Liverpool wont challenge the likes of Chelsea next year. Even you should be able to admit to that Jivin. However I do think they can attract a much better quality player than they have signed so far. You said in aother thread they should sign Ballack.Not a chance of hi going to Liverpool it would be a step down and a bad move. I dont thin thay can attract a player of Ballacks callibre he will only move to a club where he has real chance of both domestic and European success.An honest Liverpool fan will say the PL is out of reach. They still should be able to attract some really good players so im interested to see what happens.

Im interested to see wo Rafa can attract to the club but so far that has been no one so I have my doubts about who Liverpool can attract. If they can manage to pull off some decent signings I think they will get fourth but thats still an "if" up to this point.

Honestly who do you think they have the abiity to sign? Try form an unbiased opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Folks, there's four big clubs and scuba's missed none of them.

I notice nobody's mentioned Newcastle, a far bigger club than Everton, certainly based on the last ten years performances on and off the pitch.
    well for one thing... everton have won more trophies than newcastle in the past 10 years.... Cant argue with that...

And as far as newcastle being a 'bigger' club than everton.. i think not.. what you been smokin'?

Everton's worldwide fanbase far outweighs that of newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Next season has the potential of being very exciting.

The top 3 (as of last season) should be closer this season, chelsea wont surprise anyone with their consistency this time round.

The fight for 4th - 10th spot is going to be a real battle. All the teams look to have strengthened.

Liverpool are only going to get better with Benitez having another season to overhaul his approach to the premiership. Gerrard staying is a huge boost, Zenden (underrated by most pool fans it seems) is a fantastic acquisition (sob!) and there are more signings coming. The early start to competitive action should mean they will hit the ground running on the first day (though i hope not as its against boro :) ) but they may suffer burn out after xmas.

Everton - strengthening with some players but players are also leaving. They need another couple of midfielders and defenders as has been said here already. They will do well but i dont think they will do as well as last season - especially with europe distracting them.

Bolton - havent really improved their squad bar the permanent signing of Dioufus. Key players getting older (JJ, Speed, etc) and they might lose momentum. Europe probably wont faze them (bulldozer those fancy continentals off the park with davies) but it will distract them (like boro last season). I see them scraping top 10 but not by much - unless they get knocked out of europe early on, or sign some more players.

Villa - despite DOL's big budget, he doesnt seem to be able to attract many players. The lads he has bought in seem good, but the same amount of players have left or are leaving (cole, postma, berson, drobny) it seems. Tiny squad size - they will struggle again.

Man City - if they lose SWP it will be a huge blow. I would back psycho to bring in some quality though and get them motoring back up the league again. AJ to city if they lose SWP? They definiutely need another striker.

Spurs - Jol must play championship manager :) They would do well if they could field 15 players at a time, but choosing 11 is going to make some unhappy. They will do about the same as last year i reckon but in the next 2 or 3 seasons, they will be a lot stronger.

Middlesbrough - Need another midfielder or two. Mendieta returning is a huge boost and should make up for zenden. If the squad can stay fit and healthy and a couple more players be brought in, there is no reason why we cant do even better than last season. Boro were 4th top scorers last season and with the addition of the Yak - well, we should score even more.

My prediction:
    #4 - Liverpool
    #5 - Middlesbrough
    #6 - Everton
    #7 - Spurs
    #8 - Manchester City
    #9 - Bolton
    #10 - Aston Villa

Advertisement