Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic HTML forms question

Options
  • 01-07-2005 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I've very limited html knowlege and am playing around with building a basic website. I want to include a simple comment form that sends the data via email to my email account. However it does'nt seem to send, I think I saw somewhere saying that this aspect of html is no longer supported by most browsers, is this correct? My very simplistic code is along these lines
      <html>
      <body>
     <form action="MAILTO:myaddress@gmail.com" method="post" enctype="text/plain">

<h3>Send me your comments</h3>
     Name:<br>
     <input type="text" name="name"
     value="yourname" size="20">
     <br>Mail:<br>
     <input type="text" name="mail"
     value="yourmail" size="20">
     <br>
     Comment:<br>
     <input type="text" name="comment"
     value="yourcomment" size="50">
     <br><br>
     <input type="submit" value="Send">
     <input type="reset" value="Reset">

</form>
     </body>
     </html>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

I'd imagine you need some sort of script to send it, that code will only open a mail client and insert entered data, it will not automatically send it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Thanks, where should I head to figure out how to build such a script or see an example of one?

I've been basically working off http://www.htmlgoodies.com so far, but certain aspects of the site are limited or confusing.

Actually I think you've solved my problem - your one word - script - has saved me from wasting ages more messin with basic html.... hopefully i can pick up javascript quick!

don't think javascript can do it, check out perl or vb both very easy to learn or even php

• Advertisement

yeah im reading about php now

Ok, i've decided to leave the forms until im live - I have'nt actually set up with a host yet (althought I will be later this month with letshost.ie), because i've a large volume of work to get done first and theres no point paying for hosting of something thats still relatively incomplete.

Thanks rancheros for your help.

No problem, if ur having trouble with scripts give us a pm and i'll see what i can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Check out http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html if your server will support it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Check out http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html if your server will support it

There is actually a more secure, and more robust, version of Matt's script here. In fact, even Matt himself recommends them over his own version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement