Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Successor to Fergie?

• 01-07-2005 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Who do ye think will be the successor to Alex Ferguson? Will it be current assistant manager Carlos Quiroz, maybe Martin O' Neill or even Roy Keane?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Carlos Quiroz or Le Guen.

O'Neill isn't good enough and I'm not sure he is going to be managing for a while.
    Keane is 10 years away from top level managment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

its a good question but none of the aboved mentioned,roy has no experence,o neill may have done it in a mickey mouse league but utd would be a different ball game,i think we need to look overseas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Roswell wrote:

MICHAEL PHELAN
    Not a legend on the field, but a legend off it. Sir Phelan was the winningest head coach at Manchester last series and it is only a matter of time before he replaces Sir Ferguson.

Roswell swears by him.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/ManchesterBuccaneers/

county wrote:
    o neill may have done it in a mickey mouse league

Obviously you only started watching football last season. O'Neill has worked miracles with every club he managed. He took Wycombe out of the conferance into the Old Division 2, turned Leicester into one of the better teams in England with no money and transformed Celtic. I only hope he doesn't take over a team which such idiotic fans.

did a good job this year,not!!losing the league to the billy boys on the last game of the season,thats got to hurt

• Advertisement

I'm not a Celtic fan so I couldn't care less. The point I was making is he has already proved himself in the Premiership which you ignore. Celtic's failure in the SPL wasn't his fault. The players blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

How about Arsene Wenger. Wouldnt that be a move to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

STEVE BRUCE

- Has made Birmingham into a stable Premiership team.

- Has made good deals in the transfer market (top scoring Chelsea player banging them in at St. Andrews a while back!).

- Is a United legend. Loves and has respect for the club.

- Is popular among the fans.

- Proven Premiership experience.

I can't believe he isn't being mentioned more often. He isn't a glamourous name in world football but he would keep United at the top imo.

Carlos Quierez is an ex-Real Madrid and ex-Portugesse national team manager.
    Do you think there is any chance whatsoever that he would join up as an assistant maanger at Man United unless he was pretty much guarenteed to be taking over.

If he doesn't take over, the only other availible coach I would want would be Le Guen, who has proven ability at the top.

O'Neill has never proved it at the top level for me.
    He has saved relegation for a club, much like Rednapp.
    He made Leicster into a formidable club.
    And he has done well at Celtic, but only building on the work of the inital Celtic legend whose name escapes me.
    There is a much better British manager who I'd prefer.
    Big Sam, who has done wonders at Bolton with very little money.

David Moyes has only been a one season wonder, see if he can keep it up.

leicester back then under o neills leadership had the nickname[ the kicking boys] dont get me wrong i do have repect for the man but utd need a man with a proven track record,not just winning things in a league with only two teams in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

County, O'Neill is a proven Manager in not just the Premier League but also in Europe, I doubt there is too many managers in the Premier League who could have achieved what he did with Celtic in Europe.

IMO O'Neill would be a great manager for UTD, but it all depends on how the new yankies in town run the club if they start gettiung involved too much, UTD might hard it hard to get a big name in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

I had completely forgot about Steve Bruce. Hes a quality manager himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    O'Neill has never proved it at the top level for me.
    He has saved relegation for a club, much like Rednapp.
    He made Leicster into a formidable club.
    And he has done well at Celtic, but only building on the work of the inital Celtic legend whose name escapes me.
    Daglish? :) Daglish/Barnes was probably the worst management I've ever had the displeasure to witness at Celtic and MON done a fantastic job to win the league in his first season. I'd actually have my doubts about O'Neill with United too btw. Here's a good article on him written in 2002:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scottish_cup/1961921.stm

His best attribute is his motivation and I'd say he's a better motivator than Fergie.

But he totally lacks the tactical ability imo.

English managers are great motivators, but they tend not to be the best tactically.
    Le Guen or Quierez would be my choices for takeover, Le Guen especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    But he totally lacks the tactical ability imo.

English managers are great motivators, but they tend not to be the best tactically.
    Le Guen or Quierez would be my choices for takeover, Le Guen especially.
    Why on earth do you have your heart set on Le Guen? He has taken a top three Lyon side to be the undisputed best team in France, hardly the most competitive league. He also spent a fair whack of money.

I just really like the guy. I like his attitude and his achievments, which have also included two decent CL runs.
    I'd rather Benetiz but he ain't coming, and atm Le Guen is the only coach, besides Quierez who is good enough that we can bring to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I just really like the guy. I like his attitude and his achievments, which have also included two decent CL runs.
    I'd rather Benetiz but he ain't coming, and atm Le Guen is the only coach, besides Quierez who is good enough that we can bring to England.
    Id say if Ferguson goes if a foreign coach comes in (aside from CQ) it will be a big hitter from Italy (Capello or Lippi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Could be an american coach ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Steve mcLaren

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Hiddink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I really don't know who should take over. in an ideal world it would be Jose Mourinho but that isn't going to happen. I would like a relitively young manager, a guy that will be around for over 10 years easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't see united changing managers in the forseeable future but idf they were to change Martin o Neill would be my choice with Saint Roy as assistant.
    I think Queroz would get the gig on a short contract if Fergi stepped down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

There was talk of a few years ago of Fergie moving up to Director of Footie, O'Neill taking over as manager with Keane as his Assistant but that doesn't seem to be happening!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I'd say O'Neill will be Fergie's successor with Keane playing a coaching role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

andyman wrote:

Keane already has alot of coaching badges and works with the youth teams the last I heard....hence why he was giving team talks in the Republic dressing room!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where's Le Guen managing now (if at all)?

Where's Le Guen managing now (if at all)?
    No one, but there was big talk a month or so back that he was on his way to arsenal to become assistant manager with a view to taking over from Wenger in 2 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

andyman wrote:
    I think Keane will need to get more mangerial skills before he was to be assistant or manager of a big club not to mind United. He could end up a couch but i would like to see him manager of United some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The problem with a lot of the names mentioned is the style of football they play. O'Neill, McClaren and Bruce aren't exactly renowned for playing classy attacking football, I can't see United appointing a manager that won't continue the style of play that they have become famous for.

There is no denying that O'Neill is a top class manager, however anywhere he's managed he's always preferred strong, tough, dependable players to those with attacking flair.

• Advertisement

masterK wrote:
    The problem with a lot of the names mentioned is the style of football they play. O'Neill, McClaren and Bruce aren't exactly renowned for playing classy attacking football, I can't see United appointing a manager that won't continue the style of play that they have become famous for.

There is no denying that O'Neill is a top class manager, however anywhere he's managed he's always preferred strong, tough, dependable players to those with attacking flair.
    But then you have to ask the question - do these managers prefer the rough and ready style to the 'United' style or are they simply confined to their less attractive style by the players and money they have available to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bruce Arena ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I don't think it's entirely that they don't have the money/players to play like that, it's just risky business to play like that if you don't have top quality players who are likely to get you decent results consistently from that style of play.

I think the fear of the drop is what stops managers with clubs like that(obviously not celtic) nowadays with such a huge financial gap between the top 4/5 and the rest of the prem and then the championship it is better to play disruptively and defensively which is more likely to produce consistent results.

as for the wizard's successor, I personally don't like o'neill's style but he is a quality manager. Maybe David Moyes after saf retires following winning the champions league in a couple of years time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

You can't say that McLaren and Bruce haven't had the resources to buy more skilful players, I don't have any stats but I reckon the both must be well up there on the big spenders list in the premiership.

It's fair to say that O'Neill hasn't had the resources to buy the more attractive style of player, however if he did I still couldn't see him wanting to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i seriously doubt if one of the biggest clubs in the world will hand the reigns over to a man with no experience like keane. i also think that martin oneil will be overlooked. no offense, im a big fan of oneil but united will seek out the best coach in europe.

i know fergie is very good friends with lippi and i think someone of his calibre will be taken on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

it's hard to say who will take over, i suppose it depends on the circumstances at the time. no doubt it will be a big name manager with experience in European football with good motivational and tactical abilities, these are all traits of a manager who should be in charge of a top club such as United. currently Fergie is re-building the squad and the team has a good mixture of youth and experience i.e Rooney, Ronaldo etc. Keane Scholes etc. i think it will probably be somebody like Lippi, Le Guen or somebody of their calibre. i also think that when Fergie steps down as manager he wont leave United completely, he will stay there in some capacity imo, even if its just an advisor to the new manager or like somebody else mentioned he might become the Director of Football at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I really don't know who should take over. in an ideal world it would be Jose Mourinho but that isn't going to happen. I would like a relitively young manager, a guy that will be around for over 10 years easily.

I think it will be David Moyes. If that doesn’t work out then I would try LVG. Only then would I try Jose...... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Woah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sweet zombie Jesus, I'm locking this one up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement