Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smackdown Review

• 02-07-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

OK I just watched Smackdown and I'm more than a little p*ssed off about it. Why is it all about JBL? How many times did he kick out in tonight's match? I can't stand the guy. I've also got two questions I'd like to ask:

1. Why the f*ck did JBL get to beat Benoit by a DDT?

2. Has Christian gone to Smackdown without Tomko? How crap is that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Maybe because by Christain having a problem solver/bodygaurd, it slightly de-values his own strength? To be fair, Tomko next to Christian never did much of note, so I cant see how Christains draft ohne Tomko makes too much of a difference. The WWE obvioulsy have plans for Christian, Tomko is not needed no more.

As for the JBL thing. Beating Benoit with a DDT sucks I know, but the WWE are quite obviously still high on him, and want to keep him as top heel. How better to do so than have him easily beat the Wolverine?

From a storyline point of view (where Im always wrong) it could make sense, where Benoit gets tired of being this smiley guy, and wants to get back ot the ruthless aggression which made him the champ at WM20. Change in character, change in results. I dont know, it could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Maybe because by Christain having a problem solver/bodygaurd, it slightly de-values his own strength? To be fair, Tomko next to Christian never did much of note, so I cant see how Christains draft ohne Tomko makes too much of a difference. The WWE obvioulsy have plans for Christian, Tomko is not needed no more.

Did you not like Tomko? I thought he was great for Christian. Remember at the Rumble I think it was when Cena comes in and starts talking trash and Christian decides to battle rap with Cena and asks Tomko for a beat to which he just replies "no". I think he plays off Christian real well by being the big silent guy. Also, without Christian there he'll really do badly as he's pretty useless in the ring. The whole Problem Solver gimmick reminded me of Diesel and HBK so I'm sad to see it go if it indeed has.
    gimmick wrote:
    As for the JBL thing. Beating Benoit with a DDT sucks I know, but the WWE are quite obviously still high on him, and want to keep him as top heel. How better to do so than have him easily beat the Wolverine?

I wouldn't have minded if he had just done a clothesline to Benoit as that wouldn't have been as bad. I just don't understand why he got eliminated so early. Surely when Taker went, he was the most popular guy there? I would say he's more popular than Booker T. It just didn't make sense to me.

As for storylines, I don't know what they'll do with Benoit. I figured he'd get much more of a push on Smackdown but now I don't know what to think. It seems he's going backward now and he may very well end up doing the role he did on Smackdown before he left for Raw. I hope not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im not saying I dint/dont like Tomko, all Im saying is that maybe its time he and/or Christian moved on. Maybe it will work out for one or both, perhaps not. We'll see.
    As for storylines, I don't know what they'll do with Benoit. I figured he'd get much more of a push on Smackdown but now I don't know what to think.

Well, who knows? With the trades and drafts we cannot assume that there will be an automatic change in character. Apart from JBL (which i think was seen coming), the drafts and trades of last year changed gimmick/attitude slowly.

I really hope Benoit thrives on SD, he is one of my favourites, but I would hate to think he would thrive as this 'smiling champ' as he was 12 months ago. Maybe the storyline will go as Ive said above? Who knows?
    well end up doing the role he did on Smackdown before he left for Raw

He was top face on SD before leaving for Raw, but because Heyman, while Brocks agent, and GM (i think) said no more title shots, he had to move. Benoit before the move was as strong as he ever was.

gimmick wrote:
    Im not saying I dint/dont like Tomko, all Im saying is that maybe its time he and/or Christian moved on. Maybe it will work out for one or both, perhaps not. We'll see.

Well I'll still be a peep but I'm gonna miss the big goat boy. Do you reckon there's any chance he could wind up on Smackdown? I hope they at least mention him on Raw, maybe he could start complaing about losing Christian or something...
    gimmick wrote:
    He was top face on SD before leaving for Raw, but because Heyman, while Brocks agent, and GM (i think) said no more title shots, he had to move. Benoit before the move was as strong as he ever was.

He got a good push right before he left but before that he wasn't really doing anything. He had US title matches mostly with Eddie and a feud with Rhyno during 2003 despite having one of the best matches with Angle at the start of that year at the Rumble. I just hope we don't see a similar situation with him putting on great matches but yet with the spotlight on JBL and Batista.
    He didn't do very much of anything on Raw in recent months and to lose cleanly to JBL on Smackdown was an insult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The fact is, when WWE has elimination matches, people always get beaten by moves that they would kick out of in a normal match. Benoit just fell victim to it this time. As for JBL getting the push, it makes sense, does it not? He was the last champion on SD, so why shouldn't he fight the new champ?

I think Tomko should talk about how Christian held him back, and really break out as the most charismatic wrestler in WWE history. On a sidenote, he's got to be the problem solver who's solved the least problems..he's pretty **** at his job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Somehow I dont see Tomko competing charisma wise with the likes of the Rock and Austin et all. Him and Seven used to be a good team apparently. Bring him back and add another legit tag team to the Raw roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The reason is because Tomko has a contract with Raw so therefore can only be drafted to Smackdown! by being picked from the lottery just like Christian was.

The same thing happened to Carlito. The reason why Matt Morgan wasn't drafted was because he is under contract with Smackdown! and so on.

Now! The reason why Daivari went with Hassan is because he is NOT under contract with Raw and so he is alright to go with Hassan to Smackdown!

Thats what I think it is anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

and your right i tryed to explain that on another thread but fell on deaf ears
    D-Fens

Davari can only go were hassan go's

Fozzy wrote:
    The fact is, when WWE has elimination matches, people always get beaten by moves that they would kick out of in a normal match. Benoit just fell victim to it this time.

Can you give examples of this being the case? I'm not so sure about that. Even if that is the case, I don't see why a heel should be able to pin cleanly one of the most popular guys in the company.
    Fozzy wrote:
    As for JBL getting the push, it makes sense, does it not? He was the last champion on SD, so why shouldn't he fight the new champ?

Because he lost his rematch with Cena and it's time someone else got an opportunity for gold on Smackdown.

As for Daivari not being a contracted Raw superstar, if that was the case, why was he listed as a Raw superstar on WWE's Raw pages for all those months?

It's time a loophole was found to allow Goat Boy head to Smackdown! Maybe because he was working for Christian, he is part of his contract or something. If you listen to Christian's recent appearance on Byte This, he says he would like Tomko with him on Smackdown if he goes there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Can you give examples of this being the case? I'm not so sure about that. Even if that is the case, I don't see why a heel should be able to pin cleanly one of the most popular guys in the company.

Take any of the cruiser weight battle royals like the one at smackdown in the point, people get eliminated so fast and easily because it wouldn't be possible for people to last as long in the ring as they would in a normal match because of time restrictions, so people end up getting eliminated sometimes by crap moves..

ok, maybe the Point is a bad example cos it was over the ropes elimination.. I cant give any better examples from recently cos I never get to see WWE on tv but years ago it happened a lot

• Advertisement

Take any of the cruiser weight battle royals like the one at smackdown in the point, people get eliminated so fast and easily because it wouldn't be possible for people to last as long in the ring as they would in a normal match because of time restrictions, so people end up getting eliminated sometimes by crap moves..

ok, maybe the Point is a bad example cos it was over the ropes elimination.. I cant give any better examples from recently cos I never get to see WWE on tv but years ago it happened a lot

That's not comparable as the cruiser weight division isn't taken very seriously at all by WWE. The London/Chavo feud for example ended in a pathetic way with Chavo getting drafted. Also, as you mentioned, those matches have time restrictions but the main event on Smackdown was around forty minutes I think.

I can't remember watching any elimination match for a title belt and seeing one of the top faces get pinned by such a crappy move - and by a heel to make matters worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

its a shame that it's come to this where people complain about a wrestler being pinned by what used to be one of the best finishers in wrestling. Remember the ddt was the stunner of the 80s and early 90s.

I think benoit is fantastic, easily the best pure wrestler in the wwe and i dont' think there is any shame in having to lay down after a ddt

its a shame that it's come to this where people complain about a wrestler being pinned by what used to be one of the best finishers in wrestling. Remember the ddt was the stunner of the 80s and early 90s.

I think benoit is fantastic, easily the best pure wrestler in the wwe and i dont' think there is any shame in having to lay down after a ddt

There's no shame in losing to a leg drop from Hogan but there would be shame in losing to a leg drop from JBL..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

In al fairness what would you have rathered Him losing to a clothesline to be fair benoit had to be eliminated anyway is there and glory in being pinned by JBL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Can you give examples of this being the case? I'm not so sure about that.

First example that springs to mind is the tag team turmoil (I think that's the name of the match..where two teams start, and when one is beaten, the next team comes in) match at Backlash this year. Simon Dean was pinned after a kick by Regal, and Regal was beaten by a roll up. A simple roll up by the biggest heel team in the match cost the champs their belts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

It was great to see JBL winning, and will be great to see him feuding with Batista and in future with Orton for the title. Benoit can offer good fights but has no charisma, it is just a boring "tough guy"....there is no entertainment in watching Benoit, whereas I could spend hours listening to JBL speeches :)

I also think that it is good for Christian to move to SM without Tomko, he was useless anyway and was only used as "the guy to pin" on every tag team match.

Fozzy wrote:
    First example that springs to mind is the tag team turmoil (I think that's the name of the match..where two teams start, and when one is beaten, the next team comes in) match at Backlash this year. Simon Dean was pinned after a kick by Regal, and Regal was beaten by a roll up. A simple roll up by the biggest heel team in the match cost the champs their belts

Yeah but like the cruiserwieght example, the tag titles aren't taken seriously and that match would likely have had time restrictions. On Smackdown, the match went on for at least forty minutes and Benoit, a guy who has made Triple H tap out at Wrestlemania and who rarely loses cleanly, gets pinned by an average move by a heel in a match for a championship (well, what we thought was a championship).
    Kio wrote:
    In al fairness what would you have rathered Him losing to a clothesline to be fair benoit had to be eliminated anyway is there and glory in being pinned by JBL!

No there is no glory in being pinned by JBL but the manner in which it was done adds insult to injury. At least Christian got pinned cleanly by JBL's finisher (although I don't think that should have happened either).
    It was great to see JBL winning, and will be great to see him feuding with Batista and in future with Orton for the title. Benoit can offer good fights but has no charisma, it is just a boring "tough guy"....there is no entertainment in watching Benoit, whereas I could spend hours listening to JBL speeches :)

You're not serious? How long could you spend watching a JBL match? He's crap. Remember Summerslam 2004 against Taker and how the crowd completely ignored the match?
    I also think that it is good for Christian to move to SM without Tomko, he was useless anyway and was only used as "the guy to pin" on every tag team match

Yeah but he's a comic genius. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I am not praising JBL wrestling skills, but I am saying that I love the way he present himself and the way he insults the public all the times, it is hilarious great stuff :D (I believe only Angle and Carlito can keep up with him, and of course the legendary Simon Dean).

And I love the way he always lands on his feet by winning/stealing matches the way he does....he could get beaten for 99% of the match but you never know how it is going to finish in the end...for example we know he will probably get brutaly beaten by Batista on their future match, but he may end up on the winning side again.

I agree JBLs' great on the mic, like Triple H, but like Triple H I wish he would step back and give others a chance to hold the gold. I mean he held the title for close to a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

^ I agree. Most of the time I enjoy JBl's promo's, I think he can be a great character. However his constant presence in the spotlight does grind my nerves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement