Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERL Problem

Options
  • 02-07-2005 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

having a problem with the PPM package manager in perl 5, when i want to search for a module, it says

Error: 500 Can't connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (Bad protocol 'tcp')

this used to work before for me, on a dialup connection, using BB now would this make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

rancheros wrote:
    Error: 500 Can't connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (Bad protocol 'tcp')
    The tcp error makes it seem like the Internet connection is not active. Can you 'ping ppm.activestate.com' from the command line before launching ppm?
    I was able to search ppm and ping the server (ip 207.17.179.112).

You can download the module zip file from:
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/8xx-builds-only/Windows/
    (It's a big page - 623KB)
    Expand the zip file and point ppm at the '.ppm' file (I can't remember the syntax and I don't see it in the docs but probably something like: ppm install name.ppm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

just tryed ping'g it there and got a response, i'll download the module and try, going to have a look at GUI in perl, do you know anything about this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

No, I don't know anything about creating a GUI (presumably you mean Tk).

I see in the ActiveState docs that there are three perl/Tk programs in the distribution: ptked (an editor), ptksh (a utility for testing perl/Tk programs) and tkjpeg (JPG viewer). You can read the source for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You can do a GUI in perl at least with Tk and GTK. GTK's probably preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

There's also wxPerl, for creating cross platform GUI's using wxWidgets. Last I looked the documentation was quite lacking, but there were some good examples available with a bit of googling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

And the whole Win32::* branch of modules, which of course are not cross-platform.

Advertisement