Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the other WAR OF THE WORLDS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Jesus.

I could create better special effects in MS Paint than whats in that clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

this piece of trash probably doesnt deserve the publicity its getting although i do like the way its set in the 18th century and will probably become a bit of a cult classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It looks like an episode of the fast show!

It better be a straight to dvd job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Must be set around 1901/02, when the book was written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

The effects aren't that bad... they look okay in a Sky Captain sorta way. They certainly aren't up to the Spielberg film's standard but then again they didn't have 130-plus-million dollars to spend.

I'd be more worried about the dodgy acting and accents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Surely you mean another WOTW

This is the one I know best http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/
    effects aren't great for today but for 1953 it was amazing.

Love the footage of the YB 49 (flying wing) in it.

(still haven't seen the CGI one yet)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I gotta tell you after watching spielbergs one and seeing how many things he got so wrong I wouldnt mind watching this one.

People seem to look for special effects now to define a good movie. look at the the 1953 version that was an excellent movie.

With this one its set in the 19th century which is what speilberg should have done. It looks quite interesting if you can get your head around some of the very dodgy acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I thought it looked quite good up until 0m40s. After that the trailer seems to go into a bit of a nosedive. The main actor seems to be a bit out of sorts and the CG spider in the 2nd half is woeful.

Still at least it isn't 'blizzard of odd' bad which I had honestly expected it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Holy carp Batman, Little Britain's Emily Howard is the leading "lady"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lets not kid ourselves.

This looks like the biggest pile of crap ever. I saw a trailer months ago, looked decent. This is just apalling seeing this trailer. Looking like a video sequence from the 1998 game blended in with crap acting. :rolleyes:

This DOES look blizzard of odd bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

People seem to look for special effects now to define a good movie. look at the the 1953 version that was an excellent movie.

its not the special effects that got me angry, its the poor cinemtography, the horrible acting and terrible terrible design in everyway.

You can have the greatest cgi in the world but if it looks crap in design then there is no hope. The Tripods in Speilbergs were not great cause of their CGI but because they were well designed, these ones are a mess. another example...episode 3 that goddamn lizard creature thing obi one rides? nothing wrong with the cgi, it just looked crap aestheticly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    You can have the greatest cgi in the world but if it looks crap in design then there is no hope. The Tripods in Speilbergs were not great cause of their CGI but because they were well designed, these ones are a mess. another example...episode 3 that goddamn lizard creature thing obi one rides? nothing wrong with the cgi, it just looked crap aestheticly.

Thats a fair point I would agree with that. Im talking about the average punter though who doesnt really look at things like the cinematography. they seem to go for special effects above anything else these days. Its sad for the movie industry really with many films focusing on this and not writing a good story.

Anyway thats slightly off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well seeing as the us box office is in its worse state in 20 years (according to some news sources) maybe the special effects are not attracting as much as they use too?

(w00t linked to threads...)

Advertisement