Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Julio Baptista For Arsenal

• 02-07-2005 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭

Seemingly David Dein is over in Seville negotiating for the 'Beast'

Have not seen him play but reading about him sounds strong and gets about abit

hopefully would complement Henry

If we dont ger Robinho maybe this lad as long as Real dont ruin it for us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh please make this so, Henry and him what a mouthwatering prospect :D

I'd prefer this lad to Robinho !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

What happened him going to Man Utd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea heard about this guy. Seems to have alot of passion in him, something Arsenal lack sometimes in critical games. He would probably act as the target man with henry droping back abit and supply the balls or visa versa if arsenal want to unlock the harder defenses they can lump up the ball to him, let him hold it and unlease henry/reyes and co.

If he does arrive it will be the first time wenger has bought a player like this (Jeffers doesnt count!)

I always thought he was a defensive midfieldre but obviously not. Hes a kind of an attacking Viera or Paul Scholes I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

He used to be a defesinve midfielder but changed to a striker because of his fearsome ability of goalscoring.

Hence his nickname I suppose "The Beast"

Hence his nickname I suppose "The Beast"

"The Beast" and "Va va voom" at the same club :cool: This is gonna be good.

(fingers crossed it goes through :eek:)

Well I hope it doesnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,286 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its a load of codswallop, that source said he's available for 10m, more like double that at least

• Advertisement

What a great nickname "The Beast"!

Almost as good as "The Butcher of Bilbao" from the Maradona days.

When he broke Maradona's leg, he has those same boots framed in casing in his house. Brilliant!!

jank wrote:
    What a great nickname "The Beast"!

Almost as good as "The Butcher of Bilbao" from the Maradona days.

When he broke Maradona's leg, he has those same boots framed in casing in his house. Brilliant!!

i remember a program about him. an absolute nutter. hated FCB.

anyways on baptista.. i think we have enough strikers. Henry, RVP, Bergkamp (albeit for one more yr), Reyes, Aliadiere (albeit out on loan), Bentley, Lupoli. im thinking long term that this congestion of strikers could harm the development of younger players.

Anyway Wenger needs a centre back. Sol and senderos can get injured often enough, cygan is crap, and Toure surely cant play every game. that leaves only Hoyte whos really a full back and Djourou whos only 18. to pick from

Bentley and lupoli aren't good enought atm. Baptista will instantly improve the squad which will help our league and champions league aspirations. But yes I agree, another centre back is needed

HE could also play midfield i think.

Bergkamp will be gone soon enough and Reyes's best position is on the left wing imo. That leaves Henry, RVP(Next bergkamp), Bently(Good player but wont make it imo), Ali(Same as Bently), Lupoili is long long term.

I agree that we need a new CB if just for cover for the trio of Campbell, Toure and Senderous and a new GK is a must too!

I dont think we will see a new CB though as Wenger probably feels that he has cover for the CB's if one gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I would have hardly thought Arsenal need another CB. That would only push Senderos to fourth choice and on last seasons displays he is more than capable of holding his own.

They have three CBs at the moment that are definitely good enough, and then Cygan as fourth choice. I know Cygan isnt the best but Im sure he is miles ahead of most other teams fourth choice CBs.

Another CB would seriously hamper the development of Senderos, a player who has already shown that he will be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Senderos only made the step up in the later half of last seaso so that is what is probably making some think they didnt have enough cover last season...

I would have hardly thought Arsenal need another CB. That would only push Senderos to fourth choice and on last seasons displays he is more than capable of holding his own.

They have three CBs at the moment that are definitely good enough, and then Cygan as fourth choice. I know Cygan isnt the best but Im sure he is miles ahead of most other teams fourth choice CBs.

Another CB would seriously hamper the development of Senderos, a player who has already shown that he will be good enough.

Senderos in my opinion is guaranteed a place in the first 11 as his clean sheet appearances speak for themselves. you have nothing to worry about there mate. imo senderos and toure should be the central 2 at the back.

Cygan isnt good enough for a team of arsenals ambititions. even the key to liverpools CL success this year was a strong defence in europe not to forget Chelsea in the PL also.

arsenal badly need to invest in 2 capable young centre halves. were forgetting Campbell is 30 shoving on 31 and wont be around forever and is ALWAYS INJURED.

Cygan isnt good enough for a team of arsenals ambititions. even the key to liverpools CL success this year was a strong defence in europe not to forget Chelsea in the PL also.
    Cygan is fourth choice centre half! He is more than adequate for that role.

Liverpool wont the CL based on a strong defence, and because their defenders stayed relatively injury free, Traore was third choice CB, Id hate to think who was fourth!
    arsenal badly need to invest in 2 capable young centre halves. were forgetting Campbell is 30 shoving on 31 and wont be around forever and is ALWAYS INJURED.
    Two centre halves would be ridiculous.

Toure and Senderos are both young capable CBs. At 30 Campbell still has three more years in him at the very top, at least. He has only really had bad injury problems in the last year to the best of my memory.

Cygan can do a job for a game or two in the few occassions that two CBs are injured IMO. Centre midfield is an area that should be focussed on, particularly following the departure of Edu. Gilberto (going by last season) and Vieira are hardly indestructable injury wise.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Off topic: Quincy has signed a new 3 year contract.

Back on topic: Baptista would be a great signing, and a real statement of ambition. I reckon he could be gotten for close to £10m, he's made it clear he wants to leave and will not be renewing his contract.

As he has experience playing in midfield he could probably play there if needed, as could Hleb (though Hleb is probably too attack minded for a Wenger CM). I'd be happy if Isaksson was signed from Rennes as competition for Lehmann (not an immediate replacement, imo), and a flexible defender or a young CB. Someone like Chivu/Gallas (as an example, they are both completely unrealistic targets) or someone younger who would not immediately demand a first team place such as Mertesacker, who I believe has recently said that'd he be up for a move. It's not as major a requirement now as it was at the beginning of the season though as the Campbell - Toure - Senderos - Cygan pecking order should be sufficient. Connolly and Gilbert just signed professional contracts, while Ryan Garry is recovering from injury. I don't hold out many hopes of them 'making it', though they are highly rated (Garry in particular has shown tremendous resilience in battling with injury).

In no particular order:

Henry
    Baptista
    Van Persie
    Bergkamp

Reyes
    Pires
    Ljungberg
    Hleb

Vieira
    Gilberto
    Fabregas
    Flamini

Cole
    Clichy
    Lauren
    Eboue

Campbell
    Toure
    Senderos
    Cygan

Lehmann
    Isaksson

If there was a major personnel crisis I believe the following would have a fair chance of deputising for a period: Hoyte (C/RB), Djourou (CB/DMC), Larsson (CM), Lupoli (CF), Quincy (FW), Smith (LW), Garry (C/R/LB), Bentley (FW).

I'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

cant see it happening

• Advertisement

Chubb76 wrote:
    cant see it happening

why??\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just read that article there. Whats all this about a new ruling regarding clauses. Never heard of this one. That could have serious repurcusions in the english game. Sure these days we are seeing the demise of contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Why does everyone seem to have a problem working out where these people play? The article describes Baptista as "an attacking midfielder", when in fact he's an out-and-out striker. The same confusion seemed to arise over Alexander Hleb. You'd think the sports hacks would put a bit more research effort into their work, but obviously not.

Ah he wouldnt be an out and out striker.

From SSN
    Arsenal's opening gambit for Julio Baptista has been rebuffed by Sevilla.

Gunners chief Arsene Wenger has trained his sights on the free-scoring Brazilian and lodged a bid believed to be in the region of £6 million in order to beat off competition from Premiership rivals Manchester United to the striker's signature.

Sevilla, though, have warned Wenger that he will have to up the ante if he is to lure one of La Liga's hottest properties to Highbury.

"The offer does not match our valuation of the player," Sevilla president Jose Maria Del Nido is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

Del Nido is aware of the player's desire to move to England and is happy to strike a deal with Arsenal, having sold Jose Reyes to The Gunners in January 2004.

"We have very good relations with Arsenal after the Reyes transfer," added Del Nido.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Roddy23 wrote:
    Just read that article there. Whats all this about a new ruling regarding clauses. Never heard of this one. That could have serious repurcusions in the english game. Sure these days we are seeing the demise of contracts.
    the clauses are standard in most transfers now. Rooney was signed for a basic 20million with 7 being linked to winning the prem/cl/rooney staying at united. Arsenal signed Reyes for a basic 10million with the remained linked to success, same with Drogba at chelsea.

mr_angry wrote:
    Why does everyone seem to have a problem working out where these people play? The article describes Baptista as "an attacking midfielder", when in fact he's an out-and-out striker. The same confusion seemed to arise over Alexander Hleb. You'd think the sports hacks would put a bit more research effort into their work, but obviously not.
    the fact he was originally a defensive midfielder, then moved to attacking midfield then striker over the last two seasons would be a point of confusion as well as a pointer to his position not being quite cut and dried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Baptista would be an awesome signing for us....rotating between Henry, Baptista, Reyes, Van Persie and Bergkamp :D

• Advertisement

Wenger has got a problem here:

He rocks at signing unknown talent and turning them into superstars.
    However he has a problem at getting known talent and bringing them to Arsenal.
    The Bid of 6 million shows this.
    Last week united were linked with him for 20 :)
    His buy out clause is 26, they aren't going to get him on the cheap, and I think wenger will have issue with overpaying for a player.
    Arsenal have the cash to make a big summer signing even after Hleb, so they need to do it, not try and get a up and coming youngster.
    Baptista has proven himself in La Liga, so ARsenal need to come out and bid 15 million and just get him.

That said, I hope they don't :)

I'd say he has a few other players he might want to sign and he's got great negotiating abilities and is able to attract big players but hasn't really done so as you said.

PHB wrote:
    Wenger has got a problem here:

He rocks at signing unknown talent and turning them into superstars.
    However he has a problem at getting known talent and bringing them to Arsenal.
    The Bid of 6 million shows this.
    Last week united were linked with him for 20 :)
    His buy out clause is 26, they aren't going to get him on the cheap, and I think wenger will have issue with overpaying for a player.
    Arsenal have the cash to make a big summer signing even after Hleb, so they need to do it, not try and get a up and coming youngster.
    Baptista has proven himself in La Liga, so ARsenal need to come out and bid 15 million and just get him.

That said, I hope they don't :)
    Wenger isn't responsible for negotiating fees. United being 'linked' to him for £20m sounds like pure speculation to me.

Sevilla aren't in a strong bargaining position. Next season Baptista will have been at the club for three seasons and could have his buy-out clause slashed significantly. He has also made it clear he has no intention of renewing his contract there and that he wants to leave, which puts Sevilla in a spot of bother for obvious reasons.

I reckon they'll let him go for a bid of around £10m plus performance clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

this is the perfect chance for the glazers to win some cred with the united fans. open the cheque book ginger...

besty wrote:
    this is the perfect chance for the glazers to win some cred with the united fans. open the cheque book ginger...

But Utd already have 4 strikers per say! Why would they need another.

Arsenal had their first bid rejected for Helb. They were even told that he wouldnt be for sale at all! Its all part of the transfer game. Id expect a bid in the region of 10 million to be accpeted for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Contract talks have stalled because he has said he wants to move to a bigger club, has 2-3 years left on current contract so if he doesn't sign will be sold off but rumour of Madrid maybe making a move for him!!!

Sevilla may be willing to cash in on star striker Julio Cesar Baptista after talks over a new contract stalled.

Brazil-born Baptista has been a revelation in his two years at the Sanchez Pizjuan, netting 38 goals after being converted from a midfielder.

Sevilla are keen to tie the 23-year-old to a new long-term deal - his current contract expires in 2008 - in a bid to warn off the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Arsenal.

But with preliminary talks on hold, and the player suggesting he wants to move to a bigger club, Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido is now considering his options.

Del Nido said: "The player doesn't want to renew his contract with us even though we have offered him a quantity of money which triples what he is earning with us now.

"The fact is that the player and his agent are saying things that have nothing in common with what they were saying previously.

"The player doesn't want to renew his contract and we can't cover our eyes to the fact."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

jank wrote:

Arsenal had their first bid rejected for Helb. They were even told that he wouldnt be for sale at all! Its all part of the transfer game. Id expect a bid in the region of 10 million to be accpeted for him

he's not a striker, he's a defensive midfielder, he just played in that position for Seville for the past season or so. if United did sign him it would be in that DM role probably as a replacement for Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bu in fairness you cant argue with 50 goals in 2 years as a striker. He's only 23 and has been played as a striker since he was 21 so really at this point, he is primarily a striker. Its what hes good at and its what he's worth the money he's worth for. Putting him in DM where he hasn't played since the youth team would be quite the waste..

jank wrote:

Dont think Saha will be there this season....both Newcastle and Everton are trying to loan for a season and nobody at Utd have said he is staying......maybe he needs another team for a season to get over all the injury problems he has had......Everton would be best suited because they play with one up top which is likes to play!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was a artical on Skysports yesterday saying that Saha was definately staying with United and fergie had given him assurances he was part of his plan..
    source http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=289498&CPID=8&CLID=1&lid=&title=Saha+content+despite+interest&channel=premiership
    The agent of Louis Saha has told skysports.com that several clubs have enquired about his client but that he is content at Old Trafford.

Saha has been the subject of much speculation of late having played second fiddle to Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney for much of last season - in a campaign blighted by injury.

United chief Sir Alex Ferguson has always expressed an utmost faith in the pacey Frenchman and it is such assurances that have convinced the player that he has a long-term future in Manchester.

Saha's agent, Ranko Stojic, has confirmed that the player has decided to fight for a first team berth and will only seek a move should United add a further striker to their ranks.

''After the reassurance from Mr Ferguson it is 90 percent sure that Saha will stay in Manchester,'' Stojic told skysports.com.

''It is also his wish to try to prove himself. The only option under which we would press for his leaving would be if Manchester buys another world class attacker.

''Michael Owen for example and in the same time van Nistelrooy stays at the club.

''Then, with Rooney in the team, Saha stands as a fourth option - which is unacceptable for us.

''But before Saha left on a vacation we had a meeting with Mr Ferguson concerning his future plans.

''As he told us, he values him very much and would like Saha to stay at Manchester - underlining that he is still very much in his plans for next season.''

Stojic continued to confirm that a quartet of clubs had enquired about Saha's services - including two from The Premiership.

Long term suitors Newcastle and Everton both remain interested but for the moment, it seems likely that he will remain at United.

''It is true that there was big interest from several clubs for Saha,'' continued Stojic.

''Everton, Newcastle, I got calls from Monaco, Marseille but my answer is no - he stays at Manchester.

''The most important thing for him is the meeting with Ferguson. He has extremely good relations with him and Alex likes Saha as his son.

''Their relationship is very sincere, so Alex would certainly have told us, 'look, I cannot guarantee that you will play much next season.'

''Saha trusts Alex very much. So our decision is based on that very constructive meeting with Ferguson.

''The only thing that would make us change that decision is if as previously mentioned a world class attacker comes and van Nistelrooy stays.''

Despite Ferguson's assurances, speculation linking Saha with a season-long loan move to Newcastle have resurfaced of late in the local North East press.

Well looks like arsenal have upped their bid from 6 million to 8 and this after Baptista is after rejecting a much improved contract from seville.

This transfer looks very like the Hleb one. Id say they may need to up it to 9-10 or so. I must say if they do pull this one off id be very impressed with Dein and co abilty to conduct transfer for reasonable prices.

If this transfer goes ahead there there would still be around 10 million left in the transfer kitty. More then enough for a Gk and maybe even a CB/RB!

Im still waiting to hear anything about arsenal getting a new GK

• Advertisement

thought they were buying some young lad from Parma, only 21, but gonna get him on the cheap about 500,000€. Sounds like one for the future, and hopefully he'll put pressure on Lehmann, not like the muppet Almunia.

I think they are sticking with Lehmann.
    GK is an issue, but not a major one for Arsenal, and the money could be better spent elsewhere imo, and Wengers too.
    Fergie thought the same about United, but we got Van Der Saar on the cheap so it aint so bad

Wats happening with Graham Stack.....is he going to get a look in now that Almunia has shown he is not up to standard and Taylor is with Villa???

Think Arsene is trying to sell him, as he has a date with for a court case set for September, over allegations of rape.
    Think I read somewhere that QPR\Millwall would be interested in signing him.
    Doesn't look too good for him either which way.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Let's hope Sevilla get Luis Fabiano :D

Actually that is supposed to be going through today, all the more reason to believe that Baptista will join arsenal

or United if Carlos Quiroz has his way.

haha United. Why would they want five strikers?

Gangsta wrote:
    haha United. Why would they want five strikers?
    Baptista is a defensive midfielder ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement