Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Julio Baptista For Arsenal

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

He can play from defensive midfielder to striker but United wouldnt play him as a striker if they got him. More of a role Rooney played in some matches maybe, playing behind Van Nistelrooy or in a Paul Scholes role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

No he wouldn't? He has no experience of playing that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

All the reports I have read have said that he was converted from a midfielder to a striker, but more of a 2nd striker than a one up, would suit United perfectly. He appareently could have work permit problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Bu in fairness you cant argue with 50 goals in 2 years as a striker. He's only 23 and has been played as a striker since he was 21 so really at this point, he is primarily a striker. Its what hes good at and its what he's worth the money he's worth for. Putting him in DM where he hasn't played since the youth team would be quite the waste..

If he's bought it will be for use as a striker, it makes no sense to buy someone who costs big money because of his goal scoring over the last 2 years and then put him in an entirely different position he used to play till he was 21. Im sure he would be grand at the DM role, he's a big lad, but thats not why he's worth 10 - 15M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Baptista is NOT a second striker he is a targetman, and a damned good one at that, the man is a monster, he's built like hesky but he can actually play.
    If arsenal sign him (or anyone else for that matter) it will be as a striker, when he played defensive mid he was avrage, as a striker he has potential to be the best in the world, his size, speed and skill are what makes him a great player, like adriano with two feet tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

oh yeah to add to that, Fabiano just signed for Seville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

For all the people claiming he is or can play as a DM, how often has anyone seen him there if anytime? Hes been at Seville two years and been a striker for two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good news that fabino has signed.

He will defintely be on his way out now and Arsenal will be firm favourites to sign him....unless another club hijacks the deal.

jank wrote:
    Good news that fabino has signed.

He will defintely be on his way out now and Arsenal will be firm favourites to sign him....unless another club hijacks the deal.
    Could be happening Jank - hope the club is United

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=290108&CPID=23&CLID=1&lid=&title=Battle+on+for+the+Beast&channel=premiership
    Sevilla have revealed that a second English club have matched Arsenal's offer of €15million for Julio Baptista, but that too has been rejected.

The Andalucians' president, Jose Maria del Nido, made the announcement as pressure mounts over whether to cash in on their Brazilian star or risk losing him for a lot less next summer.

Baptista reiterated his desire to move to The Premiership and is hoping that Sevilla can strike a deal with one of his suitors, but so far the Spaniards have refused to play ball.

Del Nido refused to reveal the identity of Baptista's second suitor, but it is believed to be either Manchester United or Newcastle.

"There are more offers on the table now than there were last week," the Sevilla supremo confirmed.

"Another English team matched the offer that made Arsenal.

"But we have turned that down as well because it did not reach the amount that Sevilla believes the player is worth.

"There has been no more contact with Arsenal and so we have not received another (offer) from them."

Sevilla are still confident that they can persuade Baptista to stay put, despite the new Fifa regulation that allows a player over the age of 23 to move to a club outside of the country if they have been with a team for three years or more.

The highly-rated forward will have been at Sevilla three seasons next summer and the club could risk seeing him slip through their fingers.

But he is under contract until 2008 and del Nido thinks that there is a chance that he could stay.

"He has never refused to stay here for that length of time, he has only refused to sign an extension to the deal," del Nido concluded.

Meanwhile, another of Sevilla's Brazilian contingent, midfielder Renato, has also revealed his desire to quit the club.

The 26-year-old has claimed he is ready to rejoin Santos, the club he left to move to Sevilla, just one year after arriving in Spain.

"I have already spoken with the president of Santos and he told me that he would like to have me back in the team," Renato stated.

"I am under contract at Sevilla until 2009 but that is not a problem."

• Advertisement

IF its anybody its probably Chelsea. I cant see why Utd would buy yet another Striker! Doesnt make sense, then again fergie bought Forlan just in spite of Middlesborough, and that as sure as hell didnt work out for them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's rumoured to be either Newcastle or United. Newcastle makes more sense.

jank wrote:
    IF its anybody its probably Chelsea. I cant see why Utd would buy yet another Striker! Doesnt make sense, then again fergie bought Forlan just in spite of Middlesborough, and that as sure as hell didnt work out for them
    Jank - I would think see it as Scholes he would be replacing - I think Baptista plays as an attacking MF or a 2nd striker rather than an out and out striker.

I would imagine it is Newcastle though as then need to get a big name or at least be seen to bid for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Still a lot of talk that Ruud is on his way out and CQ REALLY wants united to sign this guy.

Jank - I would think see it as Scholes he would be replacing - I think Baptista plays as an attacking MF or a 2nd striker rather than an out and out striker

How many times has it been mentioned that he is a target man rather than an AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jank wrote:
    How many times has it been mentioned that he is a target man rather than an AM.
    hmmm - it could be pointed out that two seasons ago he started as a DM, then got moved to AM and then Striker, so surely he could play in all 3.

• Advertisement

Yea but he made his name as a striker not at DM or AM.

You play him at his best position not one he was ok in for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I reiterate again, has anyone ever, in their whole life, seen him play in midfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

I remember seeing him playin in midfield area before but i dunno if he was supposed to be playin there lik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looks like Baptista may stay in Spain to get his EU citizenship

Anyone bites the dust

Now its all paddy this and paddy that...

Advertisement