Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn

Options
  • 02-07-2005 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi

I'm putting down a new lawn in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking of using lawn tiles / lawn rolls. I'm not sure what its called but it pre grown lawn and you simple have to lay it.

Is there anyone here who has layed this? what should I be prepared for?

Can anyone give me a ballpark price on this stuff?

Cheers

JK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Can anyone give me a ballpark price on this stuff?

Mmmmm about 4k I should think :D

RJ (the envious)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Rubens wrote:
    Mmmmm about 4k I should think :D

RJ (the envious)

Expensive if its a small back garden. :eek:

Cheap if its a football pitch. :cool:

You'll have to give some sizes Jim.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Kadman

well I haven't measure it yet, its about 45 - 50 m. sq.

Does that sound right? Its a small estate garden.

Cheers
    JK

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Hi there,
    A while ago I was thinking of putting down turf grass and found these irish sites on it:
    www.shoppingdirect.ie/index.asp
    www.emeraldlawns.ie

In the end we just opted for lawn seed as the area we wanted to do was very large and it was going to cost alot but for smaller areas it could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I got 60 sq Metres from Summerhill Lawns delivered for €220. The turf was in fantastic condition and seems to have taken really well. I have had it down for a week and have watered it every day and it seems to be taking very well. They have a website www.summerhilllawns.ie. Only problem that I had, was that they actually delivered more than I had paid for, by about 8 rolls - they probably thought they were being nice, but it was a pain getting rid of the excess as I really only needed 57 sq m to begin with and had allowed for damages myself going to 60. I just followed the instructions on their website for laying, I had never done it before but found it really easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

I am also laying a new lawn, I got a very good quote from summerhill also.

I'm rotovaing the back garden tomorrow and will set the delivery date after that.

JohnDigital
    how heavy are the rolls? is it a 2 man job moving them?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

The rolls are light enough on their own. The rolls are about 18" wide and 2 yards long each so really are not heavy at all. In a wheel barrow you could comfortably move about 6 rolls at a time. They come delivered on a pallet which the delivery guy will get as close to the graden as possible on his forklift.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you considered seed?
    There is great growing out there if you are prepared to water every day.
    Seed will be usable quicker than sods as the sods will take longer to root into the existing soil.
    Then again sods will look like a lawn after a weekend so it all depends on what you want ad are prepared to spend.
    Seeding is infinitely cheaper than sods though.

GreeBo wrote:
    Have you considered seed?
    There is great growing out there if you are prepared to water every day.
    Seed will be usable quicker than sods as the sods will take longer to root into the existing soil.
    Then again sods will look like a lawn after a weekend so it all depends on what you want ad are prepared to spend.
    Seeding is infinitely cheaper than sods though.

Well the last couple of lawns I did I used seed.

But this will have no traffic for 3 weeks then a fair bit of traffic after that, so time is important. plus its a small garden do it won't cost too much

Beta2 wrote:
    Well the last couple of lawns I did I used seed.

But this will have no traffic for 3 weeks then a fair bit of traffic after that, so time is important. plus its a small garden do it won't cost too much
    You will have to keep it really watered if you want it to knit to the existing soil in 3 weeks....
    if its getting alot of traffic you could be sliding around on the sods... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Don't forget drainage, i can't emphasise enough how important drainage is, put it in now while it's kinda cheap, do you think thing will get cheaper in the future ? plus it will ruin the lawn for 2 years if you don't put it in at the start like you are doing now, i strongly advise you add drainage now tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

I also put a turf lawn down during the week. I used summerhill lawns aswell. They were very good. I placed the order on Wednesday and they delivered on Thursday morning. Was very quick and easy to put down and looked great when finished. I did have the same problem with them sending too much as I had about 16 rolls left over. Luckily for me they did though because when I went out the next morning for a few hours my 7 month old boxer puppy decided to sneak her way into the lawn, (which happened to be fenced off but obviously not well enough!) and rearrange half of the sods :mad: . I managed to patch up the said damage and it still looks reasonably well. You can't even see the lump in the grass where I buried the dog! (only joking she is still in a reasonably healthy state :D )

netwhizkid wrote:
    Don't forget drainage, i can't emphasise enough how important drainage is, put it in now while it's kinda cheap, do you think thing will get cheaper in the future ? plus it will ruin the lawn for 2 years if you don't put it in at the start like you are doing now, i strongly advise you add drainage now tbh.

I know that you're right, but thats one corner i'll cut!!

I strongly advise not, that was done on my lawn years ago. it cost €2000 last year to right it and it is only returinging to normal now 14 months on and won't be the way it was before until Sept 06 :o If you have hinesight do the drainage now, our summers are getting hotter but our spring and autumn are going to be wetter unless you have a lawnmower on tracks ! i advise you think about the drainage

Beta2 wrote:
    I know that you're right, but thats one corner i'll cut!!
    even just dig a few channels and fill with stones, give the surface water somewhere to go, you will end up with an uneven lawn that the mower will bald.
    We have a problem that the concrete outside the patio doors is letting all the water just run onto the grass and it is causing a depression, Im going to have to install some sort of channel to drain the water from the suface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Golfnut

Has anyone ever tried to develop a lawn to home putting green standards? What sort of equipment would be required to maintain/ costs involved?

Originally Posted by GreeBo
    even just dig a few channels and fill with stones, give the surface water somewhere to go,

Thats what i did but i also added 4inch yellow land drainage pipe after first adding about 3" of 1.5" land drainage stone and i then covered it over with about 1.5 feet of the same stone. I had to run 6 drains and it took 2 lorries 20tons each of stone. I then joined the ends of all the drain into a manhole before running a sewer 4" again if i remember correctly into the main drainage pipe that collects road water from the main road by my house. I'd advise you not cut that corner again as it will be detrimental to the lawn as as the previous posted said in a few years the lawnmower wheels will be making ruts and skining the high point in the middle, that cost me a new mower before i decided to drain.

Advertisement