Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Black Box Is About To Begin "56k stay away"

Options
  • 02-07-2005 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Im going to start the modding project of a lifetime ..Its going to be cooled by phase changing watercooling ..This will be a monster when its finished ...Everything in this system is going to be modded everything from the hard drives to the bays there in ..and the psu.... The whole lot this will be out of this world ..Im going to be using this to cool the water going into the rig
    http://www.waterlogic.com/live/pdf/diagram.pdf

http://www.waterlogic.com/cgi-bin/waterlogic.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=2

This lot will be striped down and put into my U2-UFO case.... it cools the water down to 3c , so i'd say with the heat load thats going to be dumped into the water , ill still get about 10c hopefully which is simular to the temps you get from using TEC's ...But at half the price its well over 100 euro for the TEC'S psu and that will only cool one pletier So id need three of them..and this will be used to cool both 6800gt's and a FX55 , and it only cost me 70 euro to buy and is in full work order ...i might need a little help with some of the nitty gritty bits so i hope you all know your stuff

Heres some pic's of the unit

6jnb6a.jpg

6jod3b.jpg

6jnluf.jpg
    6jo9bl.jpg
    6job54.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

:D i like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

It will have a pump inside and wont be using the mains water to feed it ...It will just be one loop holding about 2 liters of yellow uv water ...I was just sizeing up the res thats inside and i might have to cut it down about 3 " so it will fit in the case ....And im going to try to relay the lcd read-out so that it is displayed on my matrix orbital lcd display ...This is going to be a cracker of a mod job when its done im going to set it all up so that when i boot the system it will all run as normal and the BIE3 rad that im using will cool the cpu and the cards......but in the back round the compressor will be running and as soon as its temps get to we say 20c... then ill have the software to shut down my fans on the BIX3 and let the compressor run the whole show from there on in ...you may have noticed it does hot water at the same time so i can have a cup of tea while im overclocking ;) only joking the hot water part of the kit will be pulled out , cos i need all the space i can get as im going to be putting my tft into the case and using it as a side panel ...But it will be running from a mini motor and gas struts the same thats used to in the boot of a car "the arms at the side that holds the boot up " ...On the press of a botton the tft will push out about an inch from the caes and then go up wards so i can get into the cooling system in the case ...and because the tft will be part of the case... Im also getting a stand that is motorise and will turn the case so that you can have any panel facing you "front panel for you dvd drives and lcd read out panel "or the back of the case or the tft to watch whats going on ...

Here is a pic of the striped down case and the tft thats on the wall is the one im going to use
    6o32v4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

How to spell crazy in Irish.."dubdvd"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Wow keep posting the stages dude that looks ****ing amazing!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Imagine how much more pc stuff you'd have if you didn't smoke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Crisis and a bucket of poo, how long is this going to take, i hope im still alive to see the end result, it should be insane :eek: . Does this big cooly cold thing ( :p ) make a lot of noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Sorry mate but that's not going to work...

It's a 132 w compressor. Any moderately overclocked high end rig is going to be dumping well over 200w of heat.

(Just say) 300w of heat vs. 132w of cold = Temperatures spiralling upwards untill everything melts.

I'd love to be proven wrong cos thats a sweet rig but i just can't imagine it working. Careful with those components, theyre gonna fry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

His FX55 outputs about 110w do it should keep that quite chilly... with his 2 cards on a 3x120mm rad he should still get V good temps

The FX-55 should output 110w of heat without being overclocked.
    The compressor is 132w, so i'd be amazed if it's even making 100w of cold. Theyre very inefficient.

Seen as you need a 400 watt TEC to get decent cooling on an overclocked FX-55 i'd say this aint gna cut the mustard...

EDIT: uses 108 watts at stock. Assuming an overclock to 3.2ghz and 1.6v vcore its gonna use 152 watts. It just aint gonna work :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

400 watt pletier just to cool the fx55 is abit ott a 226 will o the job and has done on many overclockers rigs ive seen ...i do admit that the two cards will not work on the loop but as rossco said i can leave them on my BIE3 with the DD waterblocks and DD pump ...this will hold its own with the fx on its own i will be setting it up during the week outside the case and run the loop in and see what the results are i have an old rig there and it has a 2800+ in it so ill do a dry run on it and see what happens im not going to just throw it in on top of a FX55 and see what happens ...i not that rich ..the fcuker cost me 700 euros ....but the heat load that the chip throw into my normal WCing set-up is not that my ive had this chip way pass 3.1ghz ..3.6ghz in windows on a software overclock ...and it didnt dump that much heat out even at cpu core @ 1.6v

only way of knowing is to try i know what your saying the maths does'nt work out but hay god loves a tryer;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

dubdvd wrote:
    only way of knowing is to try i know what your saying the maths does'nt work out but hay god loves a tryer;)
    Then you must be his fav human :D

Where'd you get an FX-55 for €700 ages ago?

Yeah well worth a shot since youve got all of that lovely gear. You could always run it

Components -> Pump -> Rads -> Chiller -> Components.

Diminishing returns starts to hit you badly if you do that but it should result in the nicest temps methinks? I could go figure out how to do that maths on that and see if it works better but couldnt be bothered. The extreme cooling subforum on www.hardforum.com would be a good spot to try. There was a lad there before using about 200 watts of TECs to cool his water loop before and they did sweet FA, but he did have GFX on it too. worth a look.

Advertisement