Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Computer Science/BA Computer Science students?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

hetac link

hopefully that's what you're looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

(managed to work my way up to a higher level Leaving Cert class in transition year)
    sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

LadyLotts wrote:
    Oooh, I did not know that. Can I end up avoiding maths if I do it through the science course? Good to know that there are more options available to me. Btw, what are level 8 and level 6/7 courses?
    In UCD science you must do maths in first year. For denominated entry you may do honours or pass in first year.For denominated entry you must do pass maths in second year. I did honours maths in 1st and 2nd year. I'm not sure if you were to do 'general science' if you could skip maths in 2nd year. You may need 2nd year maths for 3rd year computer science.

Disclaimer: The college is introducing 'modularisation', which is changing the course structure, with the goal of making it possible for people to do more varied subjects, so I don't know what the story will be for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

sure

As in I managed to work my way up into a class that had done higher level maths for the JC and were going to do higher in the Leaving as well. You seem to have some problem with me. If you're going to get like that then I'd advise not replying to my posts. I am capable of doing this course and I do not need a total stranger from the internet trying to convince me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

chill. i thought you were asking random strangers from the internet for advice. i think you should do arts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Syth wrote:
    I'm not sure if you were to do 'general science' if you could skip maths in 2nd year. You may need 2nd year maths for 3rd year computer science.
    not 100% sure but im fairly sure to do CS u had to do maths in 2nd yr in general science. with that whole new horizons thing it might be different, dont know. i would presume maths is a requirement for CS. although at first maths might seem irrelevant to CS it does pop up later. thought id never see integration again after 2nd year but there it was in my 4th yr connectionist computing course.
    i seriously think if you dont like maths, or arent good at it you shouldnt do CS. you need mathematical kinda thinking and reasoning for logic & things, not to mention the actual maths modules.
    you also need to be good at problem solving etc for programming or itll wreck your head completely

If I don't do CS then I won't go to uni. There is nothing else that remotely interests me and that I can get the points for. With work I can get past the problems with maths. I am reasonably good at the programming I'm doing at the moment so I feel I would be capable of programming other languages with some work.

well theres no harm giving it a go. if its too much, at least ull have tried :) there is some tough stuff but work hard and you'll probably be fine. good luck with it

Thank you! I think I'll do the BA as I'm more likely to do well if there's a bit of variety. I'll consider the BSc but I'd rather do a slightly less relevant course and pass than do the perfect course and end up failing. Thanks everyone for helping me out. I want to skip 6th year and just go straight to uni and get back to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Go Arts! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

LadyLotts wrote:
    If I don't do CS then I won't go to uni. There is nothing else that remotely interests me and that I can get the points for. With work I can get past the problems with maths. I am reasonably good at the programming I'm doing at the moment so I feel I would be capable of programming other languages with some work.
    The thing is that Computer Science is university can be quite theoretical. I've done some logica/mathematical courses this year (eg: Mathematical Logic :) ), so you do need the maths. If you don't want to do a theoretical course, you could look at other, more practical courses.

Uni is my ticket back to Ireland. If I don't go then I don't get to come back. I don't have any other options that will be acceptable by my parents' standards and unfortunately without their help I can't afford to move out. So I'm going to uni in Ireland and CS is the only subject I want to do really. I really don't have the option of a more practical course.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

if you come you must come to boards beers :D

Seriously tho', if you're as keen on programming as you say the course should be no problem for you.

I appear to have misjudged the number of hours of lectures in CS Arts, we had 3 + a two hour practical + optional tutorial:)

Bloody hell! I had to check my old timetable to confirm that, you'd think having spent a year going to class I'd have noticed the number of lectures a week!

All (?) the other arts have 4 lectures + mandatory tutorial.

It is quite practical in so far as nearly half the time you spend in the lab (2 out of 5 hours). :cool:

Red Alert wrote:
    Seriously tho', if you're as keen on programming as you say the course should be no problem for you.
    theres far far far more to it than programming. yeah u do a hell of a lot of it but thats not it. in 4th year, out of aboit 12 subject options, i think 3 of them had programming assignments. there is your 4th year proj but not all of them are programming. don't go into it for programming.
    I think there are actually far better CS courses out there. I've heard DCU computer applications is very good, and by the sounds of it way more interesting.

Programming (Java) is about 80% of marks for Comp Sci Arts 1st year (1 MCQ, 1 written exam, continuous practicals).
    Systems Analysis is about 20% (1 MCQ).

MCQ = multiple choice questions (1/4 negative marking, very easy)

kasintahan wrote:
    Programming (Java) is about 80% of marks for Comp Sci Arts 1st year (1 MCQ, 1 written exam, continuous practicals).
    Systems Analysis is about 20% (1 MCQ).

MCQ = multiple choice questions (1/4 negative marking, very easy)

yeah 1st year. 1st years easy.

If first year is easy I can start working on maths and stuff then and hopefully be up to a higher standard.

If there's a Boards Beers around the week of Halloween I'll be there.

Worst thing about UCD seems to be the TINY rooms in the accomodation. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all my stuff. Where will the shoes go?!?! WHERE?!?!?

Perhaps you could rent Newman House? ;)
    newman_house.jpg

http://www.ucd.ie/jhnewman/about/newman_house.htm

Advertisement