Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

best pc video editing????

• 02-07-2005 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

best pc video editing????

and add your reasons....

which is better? 12 votes

adobe premier
    0% 0 votes
    pinnacle studio
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What about all the other software?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭daveathome_16

Ill add them to the poll if ya name em..

i dont really know any other good software , kinda reason for this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Ill add them to the poll if ya name em..

i dont really know any other good software , kinda reason for this thread

So maybe instead of a poll with two options you could have asked peoples opinions before settling into this two horse race. And maybe you should have checkec the thread re software before starting it, and maybe you should ask what you want to software to do, before announcing which is best.

look....if ya want .. all ya have to do is name some software ya like and the reasons why ya like it..

the poll there was just for the sake of it.... ya dont hav to vote for any of them if ya dont want to

im just asking people for their opinions on software.... not opinions on the thread i started

look....if ya want .. all ya have to do is name some software ya like and the reasons why ya like it..

Well you've managed one of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

mycroft wrote:
    Well you've managed one of the two.

OK lads.....let's cool it! After all - they probably are the top two from a user-friendly interface perspective! Except Premiere is out of reach of most people financially. :D

OK lads.....let's cool it! After all - they probably are the top two from a user-friendly interface perspective! Except Premiere is out of reach of most people financially. :D

Actually I find premier to be most finkicky and annoying I've plugged the freeware version of avid enough on this forum, that'd be the best for zero cash, meanwhile I'll stick to my mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Premier out of those, I've avid Xpress Pro too which is really smooth and powerful.

ive never used avid

anyone know where id be able to get a demo download?

or does anyone know if there has ever been a demo on any pc live cds cause i have a load of them

got a full working 30 day trial for adobw premier 6 on one before

56k modem so i cant go to site to download demos

adobe premier is the first video editing prog i used.. kinda after getting the hand of some of it now......... getting there

avid any good tho? what advantages over premier? if any

ive never used avid

anyone know where id be able to get a demo download?

or does anyone know if there has ever been a demo on any pc live cds cause i have a load of them

got a full working 30 day trial for adobw premier 6 on one before

56k modem so i cant go to site to download demos

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp
    adobe premier is the first video editing prog i used.. kinda after getting the hand of some of it now......... getting there

avid any good tho? what advantages over premier? if any

Many primarily a far superior interface, export setting, control, effects, and just generally all round better.

• Advertisement

And the industry standard, barring a few places. So, it's the best to get to know if you ever want a job in anything editing related, that and FCP (There I've crushed under the pressure of FCP) TBH, as Mycroft has pointed out, there's all ready been a thread on this subject, "Best Software" go and read that. If there's any more questions, post back here ;)

John

ive used final cut pro on a g5 at college, and thats what i eventually want to get

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Phaictan

Here is a short(ish) list of DV based Video editing programs (worth talking about)...

Avid Xpress Pro
    Avid Xpress DV
    Avid Free DV
    Adobe Premier Pro
    Adobe Premier Elements
    Apple Final Cut Pro
    Apple Final Cut Express
    Apple iMovie
    Sony Vegas Video
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio
    Pinnacle (now owned by Avid) Studio
    Pinnacle (now owned by Avid) Liquid Edition
    Canopus Lets Edit
    Canopus Edius3
    Media 100 SW (although this is beta software at the moment)
    and lastly... Microsoft Movie Maker

If I were starting out with a DV Camcorder and wanted some software to edit video that doesn't insult my intelligence I would go for either

Avid Xpress DV
    Apple Final Cut Express
    or Sony Vegas

Let's Discuss!

Cheers

Phaictan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Phaictan wrote:
    Here is a short(ish) list of DV based Video editing programs (worth talking about)...

Avid Xpress Pro
    Avid Xpress DV
    Avid Free DV
    Adobe Premier Pro
    Adobe Premier Elements
    Apple Final Cut Pro
    Apple Final Cut Express
    Apple iMovie
    Sony Vegas Video
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio
    Pinnacle (now owned by Avid) Studio
    Pinnacle (now owned by Avid) Liquid Edition
    Canopus Lets Edit
    Canopus Edius3
    Media 100 SW (although this is beta software at the moment)
    and lastly... Microsoft Movie Maker

If I were starting out with a DV Camcorder and wanted some software to edit video that doesn't insult my intelligence I would go for either

Avid Xpress DV
    Apple Final Cut Express
    or Sony Vegas

Let's Discuss!

Cheers

Phaictan

Yep - but remember that a lot of people starting out will never become enthusiasts. They just want a quick & easy way to transfer DV to a DVD and make it presentable. Another very user-friendly program is Cyberlink's Power Director 3. Costs about $90, but you can purchase it (legitimately) for about $10 (delivered!) on www.softwareoutlet.com (http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?) Check it out at http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/cyberstore/product_order.jsp?ProdId=4 ;)

Lots of the software mention there is worth what it costs. Plenty of stuff that is cheap and easy to use in that list.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Nero vision express to put DV<->DVD or Ulead DVD moviefactory

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

I use Sony Vegas and it does the trick for me, I just hook the video camera up to it, and click on capture video, once i have it on the pc, i'm able to brighten it and add other effects to it. I've made manys a home movie with Vegas and after getting used to it's interface and features, it's really easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Cosmonaut

Ditto.

Vegas is perfect for me. no bull****, quick rendering, with enough simple effects to keep you happy. I think premier rapes resources too much, but id still use it for harder effects.

I also love the capture area of Vegas. It was deffo made for Joe Soap, cos its fairly easy to get around, but at the same time it has the features buried into it, if u feel like exporing.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

Feck joe soap, vegas was made for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I find vegas horrific when it comes to actually editing.

in 10 years of editing video, ive yet to come across a better interface than Avid's (FCP is a close second, but thats because apple based it so closely on avid).

If your any way serious about editing video, it will really pay to go down any avid route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Tis not a PC you need, but a SGi box - pick 'em cheap enough on eBay now...

Oh - you're on about software! Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Vegas video is excellent, I use that too. I'm almost good at it now! :)

Advertisement