Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International space station visible in Irish skies this week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The ISS is in its last few days of passing over us for a while. However it is due to pass over about 9:11 tonight, passing close to the moon. Skies should be clear, so watch it. Check www.heavens_above.com for local times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hmmm... It's been a month or so since I last checked. Might get lucky with the weather tonight - if it holds up. 21:11... ok right - marked.

I hope you see this in time, but check heavens_above.com to be sure of the time for wherever you are. The time it quoted for its appearance over Dublin was about 9:08pm. It will be finished before 9:12pm, so if you go out at 9:11pm, it will be almost gone and certainly not as bright as it would be a few minutes earlier.

I saw it. It wasn't as good as some of the times I have seen, not as bright, but I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I saw it on Sunday night and it was very bright, even in a brightish sky at 8:50. Covered a fair bit of sky too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yep, it was better than I expect. There was a bit cloud cover by the moon and I thought it was be difficult to see... but thankfully the ISS's path was much further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Flukey wrote:
    I saw it. It wasn't as good as some of the times I have seen, not as bright, but I saw it.

During a lot of the winter months, its magnitude will be in the + (plus) figures (dimmer) than in summer, when it would be much brighter, hovering around magnitude 0 and brighter - into the minuses. Earth's tilt and less light reaching us and all that.

Seanie.

I know all that Seanie. There are lots of factors that will affect how it looks. I had seen it last week and it was a lot brighter, due to it being more overhead. This time it was further to the south and not so bright. It varies every time you see it, due to various things, but it is always great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Very large bright object just passed over tonight 27/07/08 from West to East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

These were my first attempts at capturing the ISS taken last night for the 10.48pm pass. Theres a lot wrong with these, I used too slow a shutter speed on my webcam which resulted in most of the frames being streaked and off course the ISS is over exposed. If the weather clears for tonights passes, hopefully I'll have the capture software settings correct this time.

Anyway, here they are. 4 of the best frames from throughout the pass. Thats why each frame is a different shape. One is looking at the ISS from different angles as it passses from west to east.

iss0544uo8.jpg

iss0593kq5.jpg

iss0987al7.jpg

iss1890zs7.jpg

Advertisement