Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disabling wan access on a lan pc

Options
  • 02-07-2005 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm sure i'm missing some simple solution but is there an easy way to keep lan access file/print sharing etc in place on an Xp machine while cutting off its access to the net/wan? My old router had a simple solution but unfortunately my current one doesn't, is there some sort of host file solution to redirect all ip's bar the lan range to localhost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

remove the default gateway in the ip configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ediz

Wouldn't removing the default gateway result in disconnection from the lan, ie folder/print sharing as this is all handled through the router/default gateway? If possible i'd like to have it only connect to lan range ip's.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

no, default gateway is only used for communicating past your lan (local subnet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ediz

Hehe you'll have to bear with me as I must be missing something/getting confused. All the networked pc's are connected to the lan/sharing adsl through a router/switch with dhcp enabled, presently default gateway is 192.168.0.1 (the router facilitating the network) with tcp set to auto configure assigned ip/default gateway from the router, surely disabling this and pointing it away from the router will disconnect the pc from all other network devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

ediz wrote:
    Hehe you'll have to bear with me as I must be missing something/getting confused. All the networked pc's are connected to the lan/sharing adsl through a router/switch with dhcp enabled, presently default gateway is 192.168.0.1 (the router facilitating the network) with tcp set to auto configure assigned ip/default gateway from the router, surely disabling this and pointing it away from the router will disconnect the pc from all other network devices?
    You can turn off DHCP and statically assign ip addresses to each of the machines without a default gateway. Each machine could contact each other but would not know where to go if it wants to leave your subnet. Any machine that you do want to be able to leave your subnet just give it a default gateway. What make of router is it because there you can do this in the router with some routers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement