Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xeon system

Options
  • 02-07-2005 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

yo ppl im looking to build a xeon server in a 1u rack

but as im just a pc builder i dont see many places to get components komplett dont have much and the other usual places

does anyone know where i would find a few sites in ireland or uk that specalise in servers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Well, overclockers have a few Xeon CPU's, link .

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

yes and one xeon board??? i mean there must be better places than the normal websites that sell all this stuff

found a system in scan
    ==========================================================
    LN7761 2.8GHz Intel® Xeon™ 800Mhz EM64T/1MB Cache (Nocona) £125.28 £294.41

LN8748 Asus NCCH-DL Dual Xeon (Nacoma) Intel® 82875P, DDR400, PCI-E, USB2.0, IEEE1394, LAN £149.75 £175.96

LN6623 1GB PC3200 (PC400) DDR ECC Registered (Major) £71.49 £168.00

LN9506 40Gb Hitachi (IBM/HGST) Deskstar 7K250 (7200rpm,8MB) - SATA £25.94 £60.96

LN9292 128M Asus PCI-E EN6200GE-TD Tv/DVI Retail £53.00 £62.28

LN10523 JJ 1U Black Rackmount Case 220W PSU Nu-R9132B £100.68 £118.29

Net Total £748.85

Carriage £15.00

V.A.T. £133.67

TOTAL £897.52
    =========================================================

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You do realise you're going to have to ensure that everything actually fits inside 1U?
    That means low-profile ram - or the mobo must have angled slots, low-profile HSFs for the processors and everything on the motherboard that you're going to need, as there's probably no space to have a riser for a PCI slot.

You could well be better off going for 2U or just buying a 1U rackmount off Dell or HP or whoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Try ebay for LV Xeons ? They're legendary overclockers. Although if this is for a 1u im guessing it'll be server and you wont be overclocking... What a waste of a sexy pair of xeons.

yeah its for a rack and the 1u is cheaper for rent

i know about everything being low profile and how to build a 1u cause iv done t before but where do you find components?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 jaquesp

add in fs section poweredge 6300 with 4 xeon processors

larger tech stores, or in the states. THing is, self-build rackmounts are rather rare, so the component suppliers are generally trade-only.

To be honest, get an OEM rackmount or get cheaper hosting.

I assume this is for the BAFSquad servers?

Aso, why are you getting a PCIe graphics card?
    It won't fit. You don't need it. Your motherboard should have onboard graphics if it's designed for 1U operation.
    If you've built a 1U server before, then you should know all this already - so why are you asking for help?

we built it in college for our comp soc but all the parts where old ones the college had lying around

had a look at scan which i normaly never do and they do have alot for servers

but good idea SyxPak ill look for a few american sites, maby they would have a good sellection

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

supermicro, newisys(amd stuff), then dell and HP.

Most 1U's i've seen have had their motherboards custom fit to the case, and custom heatsink with custom fan layout to cool it all, along with a custom psu :)

I'd liken it to trying to 'build' a laptop tbh :)

well jus got my full spec and will let you know how i get on

found scan to be the best place really

and had a good chat with a server builder and he was saying the reason why the spec aint that popular is because its usualy big companies that require them and they would just buy them from dell

really it is possible to build it jus like a norm atx pc but hard to find the stuff

thanks anyway lads ill let you know how i get on with the build

• Advertisement

Good luck with it.

Advertisement